I jammed with James Hill!

Dougf

Reaction score
Well, sort of. I attended James' improvisation workshop at the Wine Country Uke Fest first thing on Saturday. After teaching us the blues scale in C, he asked for a volunteer to give it a try while he played rhythm. Nobody else raised their hand, so I raised mine. It was a blast! I really felt like I hit the groove! Well, I guess with James providing the glue, how could I not? Anyway, looking back on it, of many memorable moments at the festival, I think this was the best. Thank you James!

That's awesome. Thank God for players like James who are rockstars in their own right but have patience and spirit to teach of a saint. I got to play guitar with a couple of guys far beyond my abilities the other day and they did nothing but insist that I keep playing solos. Basically, they wanted me to get the experience and get better. And, I think I played better every song!!!

~DB

That's a great story Doug! It is also an excellent example of how participating in the jam instead of just watching has its rewards. I'm sure it was an awesome experience.

Aloha Doug,
What an awesome experience....Did someone take pictures of you and him?? For you, worth every penny of the workshop...eh!!
How cool was that??? with your new Mya Moe....thanks for sharing, MM Stan....

Great to meet you at the fest, Doug. Wasn't it a terrific event? Just got home about an hour ago, and I'm shattered.

I hear that all the workshops went well. I have never attended one of James' classes, but I have watched from a short distance. He certainly has a great teaching style.

It was a great event. The Sunday master classes I managed to get in to (Victoria's and Ralph's) were outstanding. I would have loved to get in to James' class, but it filled up very quick, evidently.

It was great meeting you in person, Doug. I would have liked to have been able to meet all the UUers who were there.

Edit: There is another meetup on the 24th at Mike DaSilva's shop in Berkeley. Hope to meet more of you there.

There is another meetup on the 24th at Mike DaSilva's shop in Berkeley. Hope to meet more of you there.

That's Aldrine's California Tour 2010. It starts at 7:00 p.m. More information here. Does anyone know if people who attend are encouraged to bring their ukes?

That's awesome. Thank God for players like James who are rockstars in their own right but have patience and spirit to teach of a saint. I got to play guitar with a couple of guys far beyond my abilities the other day and they did nothing but insist that I keep playing solos. Basically, they wanted me to get the experience and get better. And, I think I played better every song!!!

~DB
James is not only an awesome ukist, but a great instructor. He dispelled some of the myths about jazz and improvisation, and explained why we needn't be intimidated. He then led us through a basic but beautiful arrangment of Moonglow, and although he explained the chart clearly, he also let us know that careers could be spent exploring this composition.

Last edited:
Great to meet you at the fest, Doug. Wasn't it a terrific event? Just got home about an hour ago, and I'm shattered.

I hear that all the workshops went well. I have never attended one of James' classes, but I have watched from a short distance. He certainly has a great teaching style.

Ken, I was so glad to be able to meet you, and really sorry I missed your set. And yes, the WCUF was just an awesome event. Ukulele magic at its best!

This counts as jammin with James Hill in my book. We need to get neat stuff like this for us Midwest ukulele players.

Great Doug,

You know I attended my James Hill workshop and I still practice some of James Hill's material, lke Capital Blues, Everybody Loves Saturday Night, Scale in C, Sheik of Araby.

The thing about improvisation is you have to have done it so many times beforehand that it will ne natural when you are called. Its why I practice scales all the time. I wanted to volunteer to improv with James

If anybody goes to a James Hill concert or show, James asked if anybody brought their ukulele. I am not sure if he would invite you up on stage to play along or if he wants to play your uke; but, I wish I had brought my uke to the show. We feel self conscious but in the end after the show, the regret is bigger.

That courage will serve you in the future. Keep on jammin'!

--Dave E.

Top Bottom