need help identifying this new old uke

SCSue

Reaction score
Hi,
I bought this ukulele yesterday from a man who didn't really know much about it. He thinks it is circa 1930-40. There is no label or decal. Inside there is stamped, with no ink, something that COULD say "made in Germany".

Also - what size uke is this? I'm only familiar with sopranos. It is 28-1/2" from top of the head to the bottom of the body. The sound hole is 2-3/4" diameter.

I would appreciate some help identifying it. I've been looking on the internet with no success.

(I've also never included attachments in a post - I hope I did it right!)

Attachments

• 09122010 view1.jpg
    09122010 view1.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 44
  • 09122010 view2.jpg
    09122010 view2.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 09122010 view3.jpg
    09122010 view3.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 30
I'm guessing that it's a baritone, based on the over-all length. The real indicator is the scale length, which is the distance from the nut to the saddle....

It looks like a very, very old Brüko no. 16 Bariton ukulele. Send your pictures to info@brueko.de , the luthier of german Brueko ukuleles.

P.S. ... probably you should keep it for the german national museum ... if Mr. Pfeiffer identifies it as a real old Brueko without interest of his own ;)

P.S.S. I sent a mail to Mr. Pfeiffer and will let you know of the results.
PSSS. Does the stamp possibly look something like this: http://brueko.de/bruekologoneu1.gif (although this is the "new" logo, the old might be similar)

Last edited:
Ruukie,
Thank you for emailing on my behalf. I can't wait to hear. The stamp doesn't look like that. There's no graphic, and the words are in Cyrillic(?) font, just says Made in Germany. I tried to take a picture, but it's no good. It's just an impression in the wood.

Mailman - the length between saddle and nut is just a hair less than 19". Does that make it a baritone?

Top Bottom