next banjolele

armytrucker77

Reaction score
yeah guess i have a thing for banjoleles now...this one is 1930 same as my 1916 one but maybe some sort of deluxe model...it even comes with the original wood tuning pegs and has a tail piece on it

Attachments

• 1930 banjolele.jpg
    1930 banjolele.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 22
Those are cool, but may I suggest that you keep it well oiled with lemon oil, or similar. As well as in a climate controlled environment. It is very common to find those that have been abandoned for years and the ring coming appart with the contrasting laminated wood sections that make it up. So, just keep it oiled so it doesn't dry out and that happen, and you will enjoy it for years to come.

I clean mine sometimes with a mild soap and damp sponge. Sometimes can scrub it "LIGHTLY" with one of those green teflon pads. If it is a real skin (lamb, calf, etc) it might loosen up on you a little, but will tighten right back up when it dries. Just DONT loosen any of the ring J hooks while it is damp.

ops.. those type dont have J hooks I don't think. But, the ring around the top is what contains and keeps tension on the skin head, so, those would be the same function as the J hooks on a more traditional "Banjo" uke.

What I thunked. So, if you clean the headskin, DON"T mess with that tension ring while the skin is damp. Let dry completely overnight, and then some before ya do any bangin on it. In fact, ya might want to dampen it anyway since it has probably been years. It will also re-tighten loose skins if they aren't too awfully loose. But before you do clean it, inspect the skin very well for thin or worn spots. You don't want to tear it, or burn through any thin spots. They can be replaced, but that is a challenge to the beginer restorer, and a very frustrating and messy job. I like doing it, but my first one on a full sized Banjo had me pissed and cussin for days, hahhah..

Top Bottom