Am I the only one...

fitncrafty

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
That can not seem to learn how to play a song with you tube tutorials? I only get more and more aggravated trying! I pause, take notes write out the tabs and try some more... I just get lost and frustrated.

Seems like so many have said they love the video tutorials. I love hearing the music and listening. I could listen to videos all day. I just can't seem to learn from them... sigh...

Any suggestions?

just takes time and patience...i do the same thing when i try to learn but hang in there

I haven't used youtube much because I am too slow. However I want to play Sloop John B. I need to look at music notation, like for the piano so I was able to download the music and then use youtube instruction to figure out what and where to put the chords. It ook me awhile. Now that I have my sheet music to look at and I know the chords in advance I am able to play along. I guess the answer would be yeah, if I take notes, practice and come back when I am fast enough to keep up. I think a little bit of all the different options are good.

Rox

That can not seem to learn how to play a song with you tube tutorials? I only get more and more aggravated trying! I pause, take notes write out the tabs and try some more... I just get lost and frustrated.

Seems like so many have said they love the video tutorials. I love hearing the music and listening. I could listen to videos all day. I just can't seem to learn from them... sigh...

Any suggestions?

You are definitely not alone. I know most folks swear by Aldrine's (and others') video lessons, and I'm sure that for those folks they're great. But I learn best one on one. I need to be able to ask questions. I want somebody to be able to see/hear what I'm doing wrong and offer suggestions. I need real-time feedback. Books don't do it. Videos don't do it. People do it.

I've taught myself as much as I feel I can. I need to get off of this plateau I'm on and move on. Working with other players is the way I'll get there. I've been attending a local uke group, which is great, but I need to find a real, live, uke-playing buddy to jam with. I'll find one. It's just a matter of time....

You are definitely not alone. I know most folks swear by Aldrine's (and others') video lessons, and I'm sure that for those folks they're great. But I learn best one on one. I need to be able to ask questions. I want somebody to be able to see/hear what I'm doing wrong and offer suggestions. I need real-time feedback. Books don't do it. Videos don't do it. People do it.

I've taught myself as much as I feel I can. I need to get off of this plateau I'm on and move on. Working with other players is the way I'll get there. I've been attending a local uke group, which is great, but I need to find a real, live, uke-playing buddy to jam with. I'll find one. It's just a matter of time....

The minijam is a great place to learn. People don't play together, but take turns playing songs they're working on. You don't have to play if you don't want to. You can just sit and listen until you are ready. Everyone is very supportive and encouraging. You can ask questions and someone will help you. There is no way I would be where I am with the ukulele if it wasn't for the jam. It gives you confidence and experience playing with an audience. Just watch for the minijam thread in uke talk and join in. People are usually there starting around 10pm EST. Sometimes earlier. All are welcome.

Yes. This!! I learn quickly and easily in an interactive environment, but am completely lost when trying to learn from videos.

Just because someone makes a tutorial doesn't mean any player of any skill level can master it. I'm always searching for songs that are within my current abilities, putting too-difficult things onto "maybe later" lists. Sure enough, over the years I've come back to things I couldn't handle earlier and done fine. Patience, grasshopper...

I sure hope this helps you when I tell you that almost everything I've tryed to learn from you tube was a frustrating failure for me I'm not sure what they are talking about and they move very briskly through the tutorial because they are limited in time. So I just aborted all you tube lessons and play alongs they just move to fast
I have been learning chords strumming them and in the process invented my own little tune so I play it over and over and over :) sometimes I make a mistake and the mistake sounds good so I work it into the progression any way my point is that we are all very different and all have to find our own way any enjoy the trip along the way :)
My latest challenge is picking all the strings 1234 1234 1234 ect. Not to hard but it's all my brain can handle because as soon as my left hand trys to form a new chord my right hand forgets how to pick :)

Not sure how much this will help you all. When I'm trying to learn something from a video, I'll download the video (you can use Download Helper for Firefox to download YouTube videos). I then will open the video with VLC. Under the "Playback" tab at the top of the VLC player, there is an option to slow down the video without changing the pitch of the song. It makes it much easier to see the chord shapes, picking patterns, etc. It's not one-on-one but I find it very helpful for learning songs from videos.

You're not alone. Try and focus on one part of the tutorial, even if it's just one chord, or the first 5 seconds, master it then implement more to the tutorial you're learning from. Also I'd recommend to try and spend less time looking at more tutorials and just pick one and practice and practice. Find one tutorial and spend a whole day on it! If you're looking up more tutorials then you're actually practicing then I think you're spending too much time watching/taking in than producing.

I must admit looking at someone elses chord fingering makes my head spin, I have no idea what chord theyre playing...I cant even watch myself in a mirror and play, my fingers go all over the place....ugh

I had the same when I started (at the guitar).

Like most people mentioned here.. it will take some time to develop the skills to pick things up at a faster pace. (When you get better, you will be annoyed when someone takes to much time explaining a song :p)

What always helps(/helped) for me is looking up a tab for the song (using google) and keep this with you while watching the video. This will prevent you from making a lot of notes and you don't have to watch it over and over.

When I started I especially had a hard time figuring out the strumming patterns. There are three ways to fix this:
1. Look for other tutorials explaining the strumming/or look on this forum or on other websites
2. As mentioned before.. download the video and slow it down
3. Accept that you are not able to play this (yet) and enjoy the song with a simpler strum

Any suggestions?

That's why we're here to help each other

Top Bottom