help finding beginner lesson

bobj

Reaction score
Well, I just moved from the "introduction" forum to the "beginner" forum, because my ukulele arrived last night. Woo hoo! Now I really am a noob, with zero ability to make music. ha ha at myself.

I am watching music teacher 2010 videos, but I can't find the first lesson, or any list of where to begin watching them and starting.

Anyone know which videos begin the series, or a reference?

Thank you.
bobj

I don't think they are in any certain order, I just scanned through them until I found the easiest ones. Try the Sloop John B and the 4/4 strums and 3/4 strums. All pretty easy. Also check out the uke minutes here on The UU main page for stuff like strumming etc.
btw what uke did you get?
Also if you are totally new at playing music you might want to consider a beginning uke book.

Last edited:
Thanks cb56,

I am scanning through them now, but I would still appreciate any input if anyone knows those first few in order.

I am in Japan, so I can't just drop into the ukulele music book store. It seems like there is sooooo much available on line. I think its gonna take me some time to sort it all out

btw, I bought a Flame mahogany Kala CONCERT from musicguymike. It seems great.

bobj

I just find a song I like and go from there. That way it pushes me to learn whatever I need to know to play it.

Aloha Bobj,
Just sent you a message, didn't realize you posted a thread....Congrats on your new ukulele, what was it you got???
As for MusicTeacher2010 site..you just gotta scroll down and look at the months...he used to have another site
with tons on songs about 5 months ago, but he got in trouble with copyright stuff, so most of them songs are
long gone...shucks....and they were all the good stuff too...so you look now and his new site only goes back to
five months or so.....I'd say now, pick and choose your favorite....Good luck and "Keep strumming them strings"...MM Stan...
Try Hawaii music supply.com and click lessons

Last edited:
As you can see, there are lots of videos and webpages with lots of info. What I did was just start searching through them and found stuff that fit my level of playing ability (or lack of) I started a notebook with a lesson plan that I came up with and plan on adding/updating it as my skills improve.
For a begginer I would start working on the pdf file ricdoug posted above and watch this video on how to strum.
http://ukuleleunderground.com/2008/01/uke-minute-2-basic-strum/.
Maybe look into Uncle Rod's ukulele bootcamp. Then learn some simple 3 chord songs.

Yo bobj, Congrats on a fine instrument! Here is a link to a basic beginner lesson by a great player and teacher. Check out his youtube channel for more. Fun times for you ahead!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zURQ9OqJwNo
DAP

Congrats on the new uke!!! Uncle Rod here at the UU has a beginners book that you can download for free. Sorry I don't have the site but send him a PM and he will hook you up.

Hey Everyone,
I am looking through all the great advice, and I am finding suitable stuff. Lots of great stuff, actually.

After one day, I can strum out a few chords, and my fingers are "suitably sore." I had to stop before they got too crazy painful, because I wanted to practice more the next day.

I am still amazed, at this point, that human size fingers are supposed to fit onto those frets for some of those chords, though. Geez Louis, who invented the D chord? Looks really simple until I tried it. Aargh!

Thanks everyone.

bobj

Flame mahogany Kala CONCERT Ukulele

Top Bottom