Intersting Kapono

Ron

Reaction score
I didn't know these were made here. I've got no relation to this company.
The inlay on the body is of the Kowhai (koh-f-eye) flower - an iconic NZ tree.
I don't know if the exchange rate makes it worth your while over there in US or UK but just thought it was a honey worth sharing.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=317907246

Based on everything I've read, that inlay on the lower bout is going to affect its sound a fair bit, dampening vibrations where they're needed most. On a soprano body, that might be quite a bad thing.

BTW, I'm not a luthier. But from the luthiers I've contacted, they all seem to be in agreement:

Inlay on Lower Bout = Bad.

Kia Ora and G'day Ron,
It's a beautiful ukulele....but too much inlay on the soundboard impedes the sound preformance....simple is better!!
A thousand dollars would be you get a nice solid Koa Hawaiian top "K" brands...Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanile'a..
I'm sure it would sound way better.....Anything in life, looks is nice, but quality goes farther...Good Luck!! Cheers, MM Stan...

interesting about the inlay issues. I kinda like a plain jane myself anyway.
Just so we're clear - I ain't buying it! I haven't got $1000 and even if I did there are one or two other bills that need paying -I think I'm on my Lanikai for a while yet. $NZ1000=$US724 btw

Sure is pretty! A bit too pricey for me presently though.

Don't forget--those are Kiwi dollars. Makes that soprano (without bling) a temptation.

FYI, All the koa John uses is shipped in from Hawaii. He has a lovely stockpile aging at proper humidity. He's a third generation luthier in a small shop with a couple of apprentices.

Great to see that he has started to offer his ukes online.

Kia Ora and G'day Ron,
It's a beautiful ukulele....but too much inlay on the soundboard impedes the sound preformance....simple is better!!
A thousand dollars would be you get a nice solid Koa Hawaiian top "K" brands...Kamaka, KoAloha, and Kanile'a..
I'm sure it would sound way better.....Anything in life, looks is nice, but quality goes farther...Good Luck!! Cheers, MM Stan...

Yes mm stan is right on....too much inlay and in this case WAY too much inlay will affect the sound and especially on a soprano. If you want to spend that amount of money look at a Kamaka or KoAloha!! :music:

Top Bottom