Kamaka and Kamaka

omega

Reaction score
I am a noob but love to start with the best one I can afford to avoid the future upgrade.
I have to buy this unseen. No idea what the sound of them would be (heard ppl said each one sounds different.)
I'm kind of guess that density of tone wood might have something to do with the sounds. So I think that the experts here might be able to tell by looking at the grain and color. If there is no such a thing please just help me pick one.:eek:

Number 1
KamakaT-F.jpg
KamakaT-BK.jpg

Number 2
1.jpg

Thanks!

I'd guess it would be impossible to judge tone visually. I'm sure either Kamaka (virtually any Kamaka) will sound wonderful. If you can't play them for yourself, pick the one that looks the nicest to you....

Pick one, you'll be thrilled either way.
Congrats on your first uke, way to avoid "upgrade syndrome"!

I hate you..

jk a little. Go with what you think looks best, they're basically going to be the same. Although I played 2 kamakas and thought one was better than the other.

Aloha Omega,
You're a smart cookie, buying the best you can comfortably afford....not only saving on future upgrades but
buying a better instument on sound, playability and comfort. You'll probally learn faster and get less fustrated.
Kamaka's are top of the uke chain...when looking for one, for me the less fancy(curly or flamed) one sounds the
best ...try and find the straightest grain possible for the best sound.. fancy curly ones distort the sound, I believe..
Many buy on looks, and that what retailers order for sales....but the newer kamaka's sound real nice, if you
could try them out first, it would benefit you getting a good sounding one as they are as individual as you and me.
It is said out of ten ukes, you just get one or two great sounding ones out of the bunch...pick and choose wisely!!
There are alot of variables, not only wood grain...for instance , you can buy the same make and model made by the same
same person and sound totally compeletely different....
You're dropping alot of moolah down...Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
I am a noob but love to start with the best one I can afford to avoid the future upgrade.

Just popping in to give you my two cents' worth on this - *great* decision. I started on a bottom-of-the-line Ohana (complete with bottom-of-the-line strings) and was often discouraged because it sounded so dull. I thought it was me; then I upgraded to a Koaloha and sounded at least 25% better! Then a Kamaka fell into my lap and - well, there was no looking back. True love, I'm telling you.

Every instrument is different, but if you can't try them in person first I really doubt that you can go wrong with either of these. Before I bought my Kamaka (sight unseen, a lucky eBay deal) I had tried a few in person and was actually underwhelmed when compared side by side with the Koaloha - but the one I got sight unseen blows the Koaloha away!

I think you'll love it either way.

I don't think it's possible to tell which one sound better by looking at it. When I bought my HF-3, I played over 10 examples at the shop on Maui to choose the one I ended up buying. They all sounded a little different, with some sounding noticeably better than others. On their own I think they would have all sounded good enough, but when comparing them to each other, there were definitely differences. I wrote a little blog post about my Kamaka buying experience here.

Between the two you've posted, I'd say go with the one you think looks better. I personally think the 2nd one look better, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

Either one would be great for me. I'll take your scraps...

I agree with George. Playing them side by side might cause you to pick one over the other tone wise but playing them individually, or even one an hour later, would not allow you to pick one by tone. Heck, I can hardly tell the difference playing the same uke side by side.

Are they the same price too?

My experience with Kamaka is that no two instruments even if made from the same stock will not sound the same. As George mentioned, it would be nice if you could play them to make a choice. When you do find the right instrument, it'll feel and play and sound "just right". Based on the photos provided, I like #2.

I agree with what others have said here....unless you can play them side by side, you won't be able to tell which one has "better" tone....which is subjective anyway. Both are top notch so I have no doubt you will be happy with either. I am partial to Kamaka #2 just because it appeals to me a little more, but I like ukes that are not real busy as far as the grain pattern goes. Let us know what you get...and post a picture when it gets home!

I don't think it's possible to tell which one sound better by looking at it. When I bought my HF-3, I played over 10 examples at the shop on Maui to choose the one I ended up buying. They all sounded a little different, with some sounding noticeably better than others. On their own I think they would have all sounded good enough, but when comparing them to each other, there were definitely differences. I wrote a little blog post about my Kamaka buying experience here.

Between the two you've posted, I'd say go with the one you think looks better. I personally think the 2nd one look better, but that's just my opinion. Good luck!

GX9901,
Very good write up on Kamaka buying experience.
I love your site and your collection of ukes :drool:.
Thanks!

If you're buying to avoid a future upgrade, you probably don't have much to compare it to, so get the one you think looks nicer. They're both super sweet.

Will the shop let you buy both and return the one you dont like?

One of them have 48 hours return policy with me paying the shipping cost both way $120 and credit card transaction fee.
I haven't check with the other yet.

I've also heard that straight grain is often considered not as pretty, but is often better tone-wise. But there are SO many factors that affect sound, and grain direction is only one. I actually like straight grain koa myself.

They both look beautiful and I am sure they both sound great. Good luck deciding. I just received confirmation that my HF-3 shipped from Kamaka yesterday. I hope to post some pics in a couple of days with my iPhone if I can figure out how to do it.

This would be a tough decision if you can't play them. I like the wavy grain of the first one, the color may not be as rich looking in the picture, but I think that's the lighting.

If you don't have a preference, it comes down to price and the seller. What service/setup are you going to get, return policy, etc.

One last thing, since they are both great ukuleles, and even if you don't play them first, the one you do pick will probably end up as the best sounding, at least to you.

John

Number 2 has significantly straighter grain, which in my opinion is a very good thing as far as sound goes. It also isnt leaning up against a rock!!!

Kamaka #2 it is for me - leaning against a rock doesn't help!

Top Bottom