Favilla soprano

bassfiddlesteve

Reaction score
I've heard people say good things about Favilla soprano ukes and compare them favorably to old Martins. Now that I've got mine all cleaned up and strung with Martin fluorocarbons I can see why this is. I wouldn't say that the workmanship is on the same par as my Martin, but the sound certainly is. When I lived in NY I used to shop at Favilla Music on Long Island, so it feels a bit like coming home to own one of their ukes.

- Steve

Aloha Steve,
Thanks for sharing, I will check them out..where did you get yours??
BTW, I used to live in Manhattan in the Late 70's and early 80's...
Didn't know you were from Long Island...How cool! MM Stan...

I agree, my Favilla is every bit the uke my Martin is. In fact, the tone is a little fuller and I play my Favilla more than I play my Martin. If anyone has a chance to pick up a Favilla uke I say grab it!

I found it at a small local music store that usally doesn't have much in the way of ukes. A drummer friend saw it and hipped me to it. It was the dirtiest ukulele I've ever seen, but after cleaning it up and installing some fresh strings it really sings. I'll post a pic soon.

- Steve

I agree, my Favilla is every bit the uke my Martin is. In fact, the tone is a little fuller and I play my Favilla more than I play my Martin. If anyone has a chance to pick up a Favilla uke I say grab it!

I agree with you on all counts. As nice as my old Martin Style 1 sounds, the Favilla is fuller. You can find them for about 1/3 the price of even the plainest old Martin.

- Steve

Yes, I got a fair price on mine and if it had been a Martin I bet it would have cost me several hundred more.

You have a great friend to tip you off like that! I can't say enough good things about my Favilla. I got offended when I took it to a uke club meeting and someone called it a "Martin Knockoff". I don't think so at all.....it stands on its own! I just wish they were still making them! Enjoy....post pictures!

Grabbed a Favilla soprano off craigslist 2 months ago. Love it. Put some concert Aquilas on it and after playing a 50's Martin yesterday, I believe my Favilla sounds just as nice if not better. I like Worths on just about every uke I own, but the Favilla seems to really take to these Aquilas.

Last edited:
Aloha Steve,
Glad I asked, I really enjoyed the family history and the great pictures at the end of the scroll.
Come to think about it, I may have seen their ukulele several decades ago...seems that their
sheild insignia jots my memory a little...just can't remember where...Many Thanks, MM Stan...

Here's a pic. Nothing fancy, but it's a keeper!

attachment.php

I saw one of their concerts on eBay not long ago. I sure wish I had grabbed it....

My friends old Favilla soprano is the single most resonant, loud and well balanced uke I've played to date, even when considering that I'm a tenor uke kinda guy myself. Best bang for buck, definitely! It's a shame they're so rare here in Europe!

I saw one of their concerts on eBay not long ago. I sure wish I had grabbed it....

That's a rare bird indeed. Ernie Gilbert in California collects Favillas and he knows of only five Favilla concerts in existence. The picture of the Favilla concert on the link above is Ernie's uke.

- Steve

I have not played a nice Martin, but I have played an old Favilla.

I met a man selling Dulcimers and Banjos that bought a Favilla back in the 40's. The uke had a nice crack in in but sounded amazing. I live down the streek from his shop now by coincidence. I really wanted to get one after playing that one but those tear drops are hard to come by.

Nice looking Favilla Steve. Congrats. Looks just like mine.

Attachments

• IMAG0062..jpg
    IMAG0062..jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 54
That's a rare bird indeed. Ernie Gilbert in California collects Favillas and he knows of only five Favilla concerts in existence. The picture of the Favilla concert on the link above is Ernie's uke.

- Steve

Steve, you know how it is with eBay. The seller claimed it was a concert, but who knows....

Favillas are really sweet instruments. They are one of the best bargains out there. I have played some old Martins that don't sound as good.

I had never heard of Favilla until yesterday, when I saw the green teardrop uke shown on Those Fabulous Favillas up at Elderly Instruments. I don't need any more ukes (vintage or new) personally but someone should check it out.

Actually searching on the Elderly site right now brings up 3 Favillas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom