PDA

View Full Version : Favilla soprano

bassfiddlesteve
09-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I've heard people say good things about Favilla soprano ukes and compare them favorably to old Martins. Now that I've got mine all cleaned up and strung with Martin fluorocarbons I can see why this is. I wouldn't say that the workmanship is on the same par as my Martin, but the sound certainly is. When I lived in NY I used to shop at Favilla Music on Long Island, so it feels a bit like coming home to own one of their ukes.

- Steve

mm stan
09-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Aloha Steve,
Thanks for sharing, I will check them out..where did you get yours??
BTW, I used to live in Manhattan in the Late 70's and early 80's...
Didn't know you were from Long Island...How cool! MM Stan...

RyanMFT
09-15-2010, 04:45 PM
I agree, my Favilla is every bit the uke my Martin is. In fact, the tone is a little fuller and I play my Favilla more than I play my Martin. If anyone has a chance to pick up a Favilla uke I say grab it!

bassfiddlesteve
09-15-2010, 04:48 PM
I found it at a small local music store that usally doesn't have much in the way of ukes. A drummer friend saw it and hipped me to it. It was the dirtiest ukulele I've ever seen, but after cleaning it up and installing some fresh strings it really sings. I'll post a pic soon.

- Steve

bassfiddlesteve
09-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I agree, my Favilla is every bit the uke my Martin is. In fact, the tone is a little fuller and I play my Favilla more than I play my Martin. If anyone has a chance to pick up a Favilla uke I say grab it!

I agree with you on all counts. As nice as my old Martin Style 1 sounds, the Favilla is fuller. You can find them for about 1/3 the price of even the plainest old Martin.

- Steve

RyanMFT
09-15-2010, 06:07 PM
Yes, I got a fair price on mine and if it had been a Martin I bet it would have cost me several hundred more.

You have a great friend to tip you off like that! I can't say enough good things about my Favilla. I got offended when I took it to a uke club meeting and someone called it a "Martin Knockoff". I don't think so at all.....it stands on its own! I just wish they were still making them! Enjoy....post pictures!

mm stan
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Just wonmdering if the Favilla Music store and ukulele are related??HMMM

bassfiddlesteve
09-15-2010, 06:34 PM
They were indeed. Here's the story: Those Fabulous Favillas (http://www.catfish1952.com/favilla.html)

- Steve

didgeridoo2
09-15-2010, 08:42 PM
Grabbed a Favilla soprano off craigslist 2 months ago. Love it. Put some concert Aquilas on it and after playing a 50's Martin yesterday, I believe my Favilla sounds just as nice if not better. I like Worths on just about every uke I own, but the Favilla seems to really take to these Aquilas.

mm stan
09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
Aloha Steve,
Glad I asked, I really enjoyed the family history and the great pictures at the end of the scroll.
Come to think about it, I may have seen their ukulele several decades ago...seems that their
sheild insignia jots my memory a little...just can't remember where...Many Thanks, MM Stan...

bassfiddlesteve
09-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Here's a pic. Nothing fancy, but it's a keeper!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16085&d=1284768405

mailman
09-17-2010, 02:46 PM
I saw one of their concerts on eBay not long ago. I sure wish I had grabbed it....

knive
09-17-2010, 02:53 PM
My friends old Favilla soprano is the single most resonant, loud and well balanced uke I've played to date, even when considering that I'm a tenor uke kinda guy myself. Best bang for buck, definitely! It's a shame they're so rare here in Europe!

bassfiddlesteve
09-17-2010, 03:06 PM
I saw one of their concerts on eBay not long ago. I sure wish I had grabbed it....

That's a rare bird indeed. Ernie Gilbert in California collects Favillas and he knows of only five Favilla concerts in existence. The picture of the Favilla concert on the link above is Ernie's uke.

- Steve

dnewton2
09-17-2010, 03:29 PM
I have not played a nice Martin, but I have played an old Favilla.

I met a man selling Dulcimers and Banjos that bought a Favilla back in the 40's. The uke had a nice crack in in but sounded amazing. I live down the streek from his shop now by coincidence. I really wanted to get one after playing that one but those tear drops are hard to come by.

didgeridoo2
09-17-2010, 04:06 PM
Nice looking Favilla Steve. Congrats. Looks just like mine.

mailman
09-18-2010, 04:32 AM
That's a rare bird indeed. Ernie Gilbert in California collects Favillas and he knows of only five Favilla concerts in existence. The picture of the Favilla concert on the link above is Ernie's uke.

- Steve

Steve, you know how it is with eBay. The seller claimed it was a concert, but who knows....

EDW
09-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Favillas are really sweet instruments. They are one of the best bargains out there. I have played some old Martins that don't sound as good.

Pippin
09-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Steve, that's a beautiful instrument.

Doug W
09-19-2010, 05:03 AM
I had never heard of Favilla until yesterday, when I saw the green teardrop uke shown on Those Fabulous Favillas up at Elderly Instruments. I don't need any more ukes (vintage or new) personally but someone should check it out.

Actually searching on the Elderly site right now brings up 3 Favillas.

ukulelearp
09-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I almost bought one a few days ago. Great price too, and it sounded great. The problem? I just don't like the way it looks....the body is too wide I think. For some reason the style 0 is the ideal shape to me.

bassfiddlesteve
09-19-2010, 04:59 PM
I just don't like the way it looks....the body is too wide I think. For some reason the style 0 is the ideal shape to me.

The Martin certainly is more svelte, but if I were choosing one on sound alone it would have to be the Favilla.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=16146&d=1284951478

- Steve

bassfiddlesteve
09-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Unfortunately my Favilla has a hairline crack on the top and the bridge is starting to lift. I'm taking it over to Donna LoPrinzi tomorrow.

- Steve

hmgberg
10-20-2010, 08:57 PM
I hope your Favilla has been repaired by now. The shape is like a Martin-made Ditson, no? Perhaps that also accounts for the "fuuler" sound that folks are talking about.

mm stan
10-20-2010, 09:12 PM
The Favilla's body looks a little thicker and larger than the Martin...maybe that why it sounds fuller and warmer...MM Stan
Real nice....

theabsurdman
05-13-2014, 01:48 PM
Thanks everybody for the heads-up on Favilla.
I just got me one, well actually the Marca Aquila soprano, from a seller in the US; they are as rare as hen's teeth over here in the UK!
I bought it as a bit of a gamble, thinking that it would make a collector piece even if it turned out to be a non-player.
However it arrived in great overall condition for it's age, no cracks, hardly any wear on the fretboard and the (I believe) original tuners are in good shape.
The only downer was when I got it out of the case, my heart sank when I noticed that the neck was separating from the body!
Thankfully my friendly neighbourhood Luthier was able to glue it back together good as new.
It now plays like a dream and is officially the best soprano I own.
Super pleased.
I'll post a picture tomorrow.

strumsilly
05-13-2014, 03:00 PM
Ha, got me an old baritone and a newer soprano.

theabsurdman
05-15-2014, 12:33 AM
Some pictures of my Marca Aquila here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101320576966305905406/FavillaMarcaAquilaUkulele

Nickie
05-15-2014, 01:21 PM
Wow, I am glad this thread was revived....I am shifting my wants from a MArtin soprano to a Favilla soprano. If I find one, DIBS! LOL
I'm gonna hafta ask Steve if I can play his....:drool:

Teek
05-15-2014, 09:56 PM
I have a beater that is circa maybe 30s and is missing it's 12th fret, but it is the best sounding soprano I've had. I can get the 12th note by pressing on the soundboard if necessary, lol. Can't afford to fix it just now. Plays fine as is. I think they are super little ukes.

theabsurdman
05-16-2014, 12:45 AM
I have a beater that is circa maybe 30s and is missing it's 12th fret, but it is the best sounding soprano I've had. I can get the 12th note by pressing on the soundboard if necessary, lol. Can't afford to fix it just now. Plays fine as is. I think they are super little ukes.

It needn't cost a lot to replace a fret. As I commented above, my Marca Aquila's neck was coming loose from the body and when I took it to my luthier, he noticed a gap on the front at the base of the fretboard where he thought there would have been a 13th fret, now missing, and so he addded one back when he did the neck repair. He also lowered the action a touch at the nut and only charged me 50 for the whole job (which also included lowering the nut on another uke). Great guy.

I don't know what strings came on mine except that they are thick and black. I think I'm going to change them to Martin 600s when I get a spare half hour. or maybe not.

Nickie
05-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Well darn it....Iasked Steve if I could play his Favilla, but he sold it already....where was I? Now I'm gonna have to buy my own....geez....