Ever forget what you played?

Skottoman

Reaction score
So I was messing around with a real time reverb setting in ProTools.

I put a mic on my knee and played my Pineapple Sunday. Just messing around, enjoying the reverb. But this part of my "Noodling" totally caught my attention AFTER I played it, while listening back to the recording.

Listening back I feel like someone else was playing, and now I want to re-create it.
Problem is..... I don't remember exactly what I played!!!

So now I listen to this 50 second clip over and over and try to re-create it.
It's like trying to learn someone else's song, but YOU were the one who made it!!!?
How strange is that?

I guess it was my take at "classical" ukulele playing, with a "spanish" twist.

Here it is, and I WISH I could play it exactly like this again.
I think I'll make a song out of it when I figure it out again!

Turn up the volume, as it's somewhat quiet...

Cheers,
Skottoman

http://www.baileymusic.com/ukulele/uke_forgotten_tune.mp3

Happens all the time.
I can remember 20-30 of my arrangements, not more. (With nearly 500 videos up at YouTube!)

This is really funny when people keep asking for tabs of my arrangements, not just that I don't have any, I don't even know how to play them anymore!

I once tried something simular.
I was learning a really complicated song for guitar and had been playing the song for +4 hours a couple of days.
When I finally got it down and actually learned the song, I was able to play it a couple of times, but then all of a sudden I didn't know what to do. I forgot every part of the song and had to start all over (Learned it a lot faster second time thought xD), but that was very weird.

hi there Skottoman,

"yes" to your question. All the time!!!

I have done a lot of recording though and find that after a couple of listens it starts to come back to me. But like Stan said, with improvisations it's a little different. Inevitably, you're not going to be able to recreate everything as it was played everytime. I guess that's the nature of noodling...

The most frustrating thing is when you're playing around and stumble upon something really great (like during a jam) but don't have the "record" button switched on. Heartbreaking sometimes!

But I would say one thing in direct response to your predicament: be encouraged that if you were able to play something like that once, and you really liked it, chances are pretty high that you'll be able to do it again. And again. And again...

Cheerio mate and happy days, eugene:eek:

Well, i personally have quite a good memory. Hence i should be able to remember what notes and chords to play.

BUT NOOOOOO..Apparently being new with the uke also means lotsa forgetting and what not.
Recently i've been trying Jake's song (Heartbeat/Dragon) And i keep getting messed up Heartbeat :/

yeah! i was once 'jamming' with two of my friends and(me on uke, one on piano the other on guitar) and we came up with two really neat sounding songs.... but cant remember them at all... i can sort of remember what i was playing, but i dont remember strum patterns or what the guys were playing... it kinda sucks cause they sounded really pretty...i wish we would have be recording...

Skotto,
That little sample actually sounds pretty good. Good luck trying to figure it out, sounds nice. I am realizing there are some pretty good players on ukeunderground and that i need to step up my game.

If you can figure out ProTools, you can figure out a ukulele riff!

HAhah.... true, but I've been using ProTools since 1999. I'm an audio engineer/producer.

I will figure it out and make a song out of it. Just glad I had a recording.

Is great fun to play the uke with real time reverb (like having an amp), but with out the amp, using ProTools.

Cheers,
Skottoman

Pfft...my noodles never sound like that, but I forget stuff all the time. Sometimes I write stuff down, and I still can't figure out how I played it. :p

You'll get it again. Just stop paying attention, that's probably when it will happen again.

...It's like trying to learn someone else's song, but YOU were the one who made it!!!?
How strange is that?
Not that strange. I noodle almost every night and some nights I just get the groove going and it really sings. But the next night when I try to re-create it, I fail because although I can hear it in my head, my fingers can't remember what they did.

Not that strange. I noodle almost every night and some nights I just get the groove going and it really sings. But the next night when I try to re-create it, I fail because although I can hear it in my head, my fingers can't remember what they did.

You explained it exactly. I guess it's not as uncommon as I think.
Cheers,
Skottoman

I've had this happen in the past when listening to old guitar recordings of my rock band. Every now and then there is a spot that makes me think, hmm "how the heck did I do that?. I found it hard to figure out what I was doing right off the bat but with a little disecting I can usually figure it out.

As far as remembering songs in general: I have over 100 tabs on my site now and many people I run into think I can play all f them. Not a chance. I usually can play the song at the time I post up a tab but if I don't play them on a regular basis they vanish from my brain. Having the tabs makes is very quick to put a song back together should the need arise though.

Top Bottom