Changing chords and strumming

Maeggoel

Reaction score
Hey

I just bought my uke 2 months ago, so I'm quite new and I sucks pretty well at the uke :p
I've been watching a lot of videos and tutorials and I'm making some progress, I'd say. But I still have a major issue with strumming and changing chords.
I'm beginning to get the hang of different strumming patterns, but I'm not always sure when to change the chords.
For instance:
Aldrines tutorial of Let It Snow.
When do you change the chords during the verse? After the down, down?
I guess it's probably just about listening to the songs and get the feel for it, but is there techniques that could help me?

Have you tried Uncle Rod's boot camp?

I see real good results in my strum transitions now after practicing.

Us beginners, and I am one, have a problem with patience. we don't have to fill the chords with vocals. Silence and rests are also ok.

I like Uncle Rod's boot camp too...even though the uke players around here don't like it. I keep practicing, I see a definite difference in my ablilty to change chords a LITTLE faster, some are more difficult than others, however when I see one of the chords that I have learned I have some muscle memory and my fingers just start to go there without my thinking how to shape the chord... Keep it up...

I like Uncle Rod's boot camp too...even though the uke players around here don't like it. I keep practicing, I see a definite difference in my ablilty to change chords a LITTLE faster, some are more difficult than others, however when I see one of the chords that I have learned I have some muscle memory and my fingers just start to go there without my thinking how to shape the chord... Keep it up...

Why do they not like Uncle Rod's Boot Camp?

I showed it to the would be uke teacher(still going to schedule a lesson with him and see where it goes), he said I should just learn to play the songs I like...
I like the boot camp... I like my books and I like mixing it up and doing different things with it. That way I don't get bored.
I feel like I have learned so much, even a little music reading.

Aloha Maeggoel,
I'd start off with one finger chords first...probally the easiest one finger chords is...C to C7....0003-0001 and strum it out..
Then a two chord transition F to C... 2010-0003 and...then a 3 chord transition...C to C7 to F.....0003-0001-2010
Maybe if you feel up to it a ...C to Am to F to G7 to C...that would be....0003, 2000, 2010, 0212, 0003
if you're uncomfortable strumming up and down, start with a down stroke on each chord with your thumb first until you get the hang out
of it and it sounds good...then attempt up and down strokes....jus some beginner basics....Good Luck!! MM Stan...

Last edited:
I have been playing since last December. Like you, I too had trouble strumming and changing chords. Uncle Rod's Boot Camp was a turning point for me because it helped me to separate the various skills I was trying to master (timing, strumming, smooth chord changes, clean chords, etc.) and focus on one at a time. Everyone is different, but I found for me it was good to schedule some time in my daily practice routine to do basic drills like chord changing, strumming, etc. I also allow time to just have some fun and for me, that involves trying to play some songs as rough as it may be.

Just play and feel the groove. Don't even try playing a recognised tune. Just get a rythm going and change chords.

Patience. Practice. Relax. Don't rush it. I agree that the simple changes like C to Am and back are good for getting you used making changes in that small amount of time between strums. Then try adding more fingers like mm stan said. If you cannot make those changes between your strums, then slow down your strums until you can make the change cleanly. Only after that is possible, then try to speed up your strums, just a bit at a time.

Repetition is your friend. After you have made an F chord a few hundred times it will become easy to do quickly without looking or even thinking about it. I have been playing for years and there are still some chords I am slow switching to (like Fmaj7), but if I keep practicing the song it will eventually work itself out, it just takes time.

Happy Strumming!

Aloha Maeggoel,
I'd start off with one finger chords first...probally the easiest one finger chords is...C to C7....0003-0001 and strum it out..
Then a two chord transition F to C... 2010-0003 and...then a 3 chord transition...C to C7 to F.....0003-0001-2010
Maybe if you feel up to it a ...C to Am to F to G7 to C...that would be....0003, 2000, 2010, 0212, 0003
if you're uncomfortable strumming up and down, start with a down stroke on each chord with your thumb first until you get the hang out
of it and it sounds good...then attempt up and down strokes....jus some beginner basics....Good Luck!! MM Stan...

That is a great way to start.....SLOWLY!!!!

Great advice, everyone.

Pueo, I like the way you presented the progression. I too have difficulty with FM7 (so I cheat with 2410).

Besides the "Boot Camp" please access the "FREE Songbook". There are 'practice sheets' toward the end to assist you.

Keep uke'in',

PS thatks for all the nice words about the Boot Camp "method".

Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. It is also what i've been doing so far.
My problem isn't really about "how fast" I can change the chords, but I find it difficult to figure out, WHEN to change them.
I've been following a lot of tutorials in here and in songs like "Perfect sometimes", "Breakdown" and so on, it is quite easy. You strum the pattern and then you change the chords, but in songs like "Let it snow" it changes the chords during the strum pattern, if I'm correctly?
I know that I should just play around and figure out my own strum patterns, but I find it easier to practice some "pre-made" patterns in the beginning.

Maeggoel.

I think the issue is that when the melody moves certain notes, or a sting of notes, a new chord that empasizes that note seems to work at that particular moment which is not at the start of a measure.

A Jack Johnson song demonstrates changing chords at notes and then in rests. It kind of shows you how chords interact with the notes and then how chord changes on their own provide a "feel" for the song.

So, if I have problems seeking out where the chord starts, I'll look at the notes in the melody.

When I play blues chord progressions, I count out the downbeats and on 4, I make the mental change and I find it takes a relaxed upbeat to get that change and it sounds good. I think if I waited for the upbeat, I'd be too late.

OK. Here is a thick-headed question. What is Uncle Rod's boot camp? video? printed material? or?
And how do I get it? I tried the links from Rod Higuchi's message, but it all came up in Japanese, and I couldn't figure it out.

I am sure it's my stupidity, but what and how do I get it?
Thanks

bobj
Kala concert

It sounds like you might be doing this already, but in case you aren't, one thing that might help to start developing that sense of when to change a chord is counting out the song OUT LOUD. The most common "counts" are in four and three. The idea is to be able to count out the song in a way that allows you to hear which beat the chord changes on.

One exercise that might help is to simply count out "1, 2, 3, 4" as you strum any chord to it on all down strums. On the down strum of every first beat of the measure change to the some other chord. You'll want to anticipate the chord change right after the 4th count. This might seem really boring, and it kind of is, but verbally counting out loud can be a way to help build that internal time clock that indicates when to change chords. As you feel more comfortable, trying switching chords on the 1st and 3rd beat. Start simple at first and then build on that. As your internal clock develops, your sense of timing and rhythm will increase when you're playing a real song. It becomes second nature of sort.

In the same vein, practice counting out loud as you play the song as well and just hum the melody under your breath. Just practice with simple strumming patterns at first (e.g. just downstrums). Identify and feel where the chords change and then as you identify those spots add a bit more complexity to your strumming pattern.

It sounds like you might be doing this already, but in case you aren't, one thing that might help to start developing that sense of when to change a chord is counting out the song OUT LOUD. The most common "counts" are in four and three. The idea is to be able to count out the song in a way that allows you to hear which beat the chord changes on.

One exercise that might help is to simply count out "1, 2, 3, 4" as you strum any chord to it on all down strums. On the down strum of every first beat of the measure change to the some other chord. You'll want to anticipate the chord change right after the 4th count. This might seem really boring, and it kind of is, but verbally counting out loud can be a way to help build that internal time clock that indicates when to change chords. As you feel more comfortable, trying switching chords on the 1st and 3rd beat. Start simple at first and then build on that. As your internal clock develops, your sense of timing and rhythm will increase when you're playing a real song. It becomes second nature of sort.

In the same vein, practice counting out loud as you play the song as well and just hum the melody under your breath. Just practice with simple strumming patterns at first (e.g. just downstrums). Identify and feel where the chords change and then as you identify those spots add a bit more complexity to your strumming pattern.

Thank you Savethecheerleader (Save the world, sorry, I couldn't help myself) This is a helpful post for me... I am still trying to figure out when to change chords and I can't make any songs I don't have music for sound even similar to the real thing.. a practice session is in my very near future!

I have the same problem at times....just take these guys advice and keep practicing..hang in there

I don't understand. What is the boot camp? I went to the links, but I couldn't tell what is being offered. Are there videos?

AND this is why I need sheet music. I am new too and my limited training before this was reading music. To me it is like trying to cook a dish without the recipe. Hang in there and have fun!

I don't understand. What is the boot camp? I went to the links, but I couldn't tell what is being offered. Are there videos?

Boot camp is a book by Uncle Rod, that allows you to learn chords (by Key) and get comfortable changing chords without frustrating yourself over making the changes sound like songs. I am probably not explaining it correctly. I can say it has helped me a lot. No videos. A free download explaining what to do... It's worked wonders for me and I spend a few minutes with it everyday. I have only worked on two keys so far, C and I believe the second key is G... Good luck...

Top Bottom