Greetings from Winnipeg Canada

rayray79

Reaction score
Hello all. My name is Ray... or as everyone calls me, Ray-Ray (how original, huh?) I'm from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. Don't know too many, actually nobody, in my area that plays or enjoys the ukulele. I just bought a cheap soprano uke over a year ago while the wife was looking for violin material. We have many music stores here, but I think that was the only one that sold ukes. Soon I'm wanting to upgrade with a better quality ukelele, just got to find out where?!?!?! I've been playing every night for the past year and think I am improving, and hoping joining here will make me even better.

Good old Winnipeg! Your city is quite the talk of the town! My friend and I just went to see a documentary called "My Winnipeg". It was so charming, I want to move there! The guy who made it grew up in Winnipeg, and so made a movie to kind of capture his childhood. Have you heard of it?

Welcome to the board. I've found reading through the discussions here incredibly helpful! I hope you do too!

Hi remy. "My Winnipeg" was directed and written by Guy Maddin. I myself haven't seen it yet, but heard it was really well done. If you do want to move here you will have to get use to the very hot humid summers, and extremely cold winters. More reason to stay in and play the uke.

Hey Ray, I'm from Mississauga ON, and welcome. If your lookng for a new uke you should check out MusicGuyMic on ebay. He seems to b the place to buy a uke.
I've heard that he has great service and has yet to sell a bad uke. He has lots of selection, is a member on this forum and even has his own appreciation thread.

Good luck!:)
Alex

Hey Ray. I'm totally new to the uke world. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada, and have the same problem finding anyone or anything to do with ukuleles here. I bought my uke from musicguymic on Ebay (MGM on these forums), everyone recommends him, great guy to deal with. Shipping to Canada was around $35, and I got dinged with brokerage / tax, so that was an extra $60 or so, but when you consider the current exchange rate on CAD - USD, it levels out. It took exactly 1 week to ship a uke from Hawaii to eastern Canada, so I'd expect it wouldn't take any longer to get to you.

Welcome to the forums,
Cheers,
gary

Hey Ray, I'm from Mississauga ON, and welcome. If your lookng for a new uke you should check out MusicGuyMic on ebay. He seems to b the place to buy a uke.
I've heard that he has great service and has yet to sell a bad uke. He has lots of selection, is a member on this forum and even has his own appreciation thread.

Good luck!:)
Alex

Thanks Alex. I'll have to check him out. Right now, I have a decent cheap uke :rock:. Just goes out of tune every once in awhile. And thanks to everyone for the greetings!!!
-----
Ray-Ray

Welcome Ray Ray. Many of us are in your position. This website is a great source of info and advice. I agree with jumping on Ebay and checking out MusicGuyMic. He has a great range, brilliant advice and super fast shipping.

Hi remy. If you do want to move here you will have to get use to the very hot humid summers, and extremely cold winters. More reason to stay in and play the uke.

Ew, so that's kind of the worst of both worlds! I'd much rather move to Hawaii and sit on the beach to practice.

Anyway, it's cool you've heard of that movie. You really should see it. It'd be interesting to hear what things are for real, and what things were kind of exaggerated in the movie!

Everybody should watch out for us Canadians. We can be pretty feisty sometimes.

We can be feisty but in an overly polite way. Anybody see the scene in Canadian Bacon when John Candy & Rhea Perlman are pushing people out of their way, through a crowd and the Canadians keep apologizing for being in the way? HAHAHAA!

Welcome to UU Ray!

Winnipeg!!!

Hey cool other peeps from the 204!!! anyways I just wanted to share some pictures I took. This is My Winnipeg!! I love Winnipeg no matter how humid, how hot, or how cold it gets!!

DSC00770.jpg

DSC00759.jpg

PS
If you can survive a Winnipeg summer with trillions of mosquitoes and survive a Winnipeg winter with -50 deg.Celcius, you can SURVIVE anything!!!

Top Bottom