PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about selling my KoAloha Superconcert

Howie1947
09-17-2010, 03:59 AM
Not sure what to ask for price. Paid $870.00 plus tax in 2008. Uke is in excellent condition, always in case etc. They are now retailing for $930.00 new. Any suggestions. Thanks, Howie

Hippie Dribble
09-17-2010, 04:29 AM
Not sure what to ask for price. Paid $870.00 plus tax in 2008. Uke is in excellent condition, always in case etc. They are now retailing for $930.00 new. Any suggestions. Thanks, Howie

wow, that's a beautiful collection of ukes you've got!!!

Clearly, you need to sell it to me for a song Howie:iwant:

I think a realistic and fair used price would be around $700 if it's in great nic...any pics?

Howie1947
09-17-2010, 04:47 AM
Eugene uke.....................I was hoping to get a little bit more than $700.00...............But thanks for your input !

sukie
09-17-2010, 04:47 AM
I think if it's in excellent condition you should sell it for what you paid for it. It's worth more now? Plus the wood has opened up. Can't really justify selling it for less than you paid. Just my opinion.

Howie1947
09-17-2010, 05:25 AM
Suki....................I agree !

jordan bello
09-17-2010, 05:26 AM
I think it should hold its value. I love my KoAloha Superconcert. Might as well test the market because you don't see those come up too often on the secondhand market.

If you can answer, why are you selling the KoAloha Superconcert?

Howie1947
09-17-2010, 05:47 AM
Jordon....................Just decided to downsize my collection. I find myself playing my Tenors more now. Don't get me wrong, I love the Superconcert, but I think it would not bother me to let it go. Howie

Lexxy
09-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Howie, if you could choose between the KoAloha and the Kamaka and the Kanile'a tenor, which would you pick? Only ONE :)

haolejohn
09-17-2010, 06:01 AM
I understand the concept of something holding value but realistically, who may actually buy it for what you paid for it? I really think $750 would be a fair price. $800 max. Even though they cost more now, it isn't rare yet. Then again does it have the crown bridge? LOL! What is the general rule of thumb? Sell used for 20% less than new price?

Howie1947
09-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Yes it does have the Crown Bridge, and a nice foam case too. It has been well cared for. Probably in "Mint" condition. As far as my favorites.................They are all good Kanilea, Kamaka, KoAloha............

sukie
09-17-2010, 06:24 AM
I understand the concept of something holding value but realistically, who may actually buy it for what you paid for it? I really think $750 would be a fair price. $800 max. Even though they cost more now, it isn't rare yet. Then again does it have the crown bridge? LOL! What is the general rule of thumb? Sell used for 20% less than new price?

But the argument (and which I use at garage sales I have) is: Go buy a new one then. New ones are over $900? Then original price is a fair price. Remember -- if someone snaps it up in 2 minutes, the price was too low. You can always LOWER the price but you really can't raise it once it's advertised.

Good luck.

haolejohn
09-17-2010, 07:00 AM
But the argument (and which I use at garage sales I have) is: Go buy a new one then. New ones are over $900? Then original price is a fair price. Remember -- if someone snaps it up in 2 minutes, the price was too low. You can always LOWER the price but you really can't raise it once it's advertised.

Good luck.

I agree with you Sukie but I wouldn't pay the new price for a used instrument. No matter how nice it is. It isn't new. It's like a car. Things depreciate. Realistically, things are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay more than $750. He is asking for advise on what to offer it for. You'd pay more for it than what I would. I'd advertise it at $850 obo.

I would like to get a super concert one day but I personally wouldn't pay more than $750. I want a crown bridge tenor. Once again, I won't pay more than $800 for that unless it had a p/u installed already.

mm stan
09-17-2010, 07:22 AM
I agree with you Sukie but I wouldn't pay the new price for a used instrument. No matter how nice it is. It isn't new. It's like a car. Things depreciate. Realistically, things are worth what someone is willing to pay for it. I wouldn't pay more than $750. He is asking for advise on what to offer it for. You'd pay more for it than what I would. I'd advertise it at $850 obo.

I would like to get a super concert one day but I personally wouldn't pay more than $750. I want a crown bridge tenor. Once again, I won't pay more than $800 for that unless it had a p/u installed already.
Sorry Howie,
I'm with John on this one...you can't expect to get what you paid for it....things depriciate and it's used....unless it's gold...two years old, realistically 20-25% off....Maybe it's hard parting with it,
is the main issue...because it's not rare, vintage, or a collectable.....even if the newer ones cost more, that doesn't justify the inflated price. Ask yourself, would you pay for that ukulele at that
price....just trying to be fair...about things...nothing personal...sorry again, Good Luck!!

wickedwahine11
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
Trust me, as the seller of a few used Pineapple Sundays, you can't always get what you paid for them. If I recall, I took losses (some of them huge) on each of those ukes. I hope that sukie is right and you can get close to what you paid for it, but my experience was the opposite. I would advertise it for $800 or best offer, but realistically, you might be lucky to get $750 or $800 for it used. Good luck to you though.

JT_Ukes
09-17-2010, 07:35 AM

You can't use the car argument, Ukuleles don't wear out like a machine...

More like a collectable, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

JT

Skitzic
09-17-2010, 07:52 AM
Trust me, as the seller of a few used Pineapple Sundays, you can't always get what you paid for them. If I recall, I took losses (some of them huge) on each of those ukes. I hope that sukie is right and you can get close to what you paid for it, but my experience was the opposite. I would advertise it for $800 or best offer, but realistically, you might be lucky to get $750 or $800 for it used. Good luck to you though.

I'm with this thought pattern. It's not rare or vintage...even though the current price for the same product is more, it's used. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and it depends on how long you want to wait for a buyer.

Gmoney
09-17-2010, 08:01 AM
And... MGM just listed a new one for $837 on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/KOALOHA-Super-Concert-KCM-02-UKULELE-w-CASE-books-/330473707758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cf1c498ee

Kamaka Rocka
09-17-2010, 08:06 AM
And... MGM just listed a new one for $837 on eBay.

Yes, but some people prefer the crown bridge (I do).

rjamesak
09-17-2010, 08:36 AM
You can always LOWER the price but you really can't raise it once it's advertised.

Good luck.

Just put it up for whatever you WANT to sell it for. You'll find out if it's too high or not.

lawaia
09-17-2010, 11:04 AM
Honestly, when I was looking for a SC, I would have paid $850 for one with a crown bridge if it was in new condition with a case. I bought the new style bridge, and am happy with it. But the crown bridge looks really nice!

The asking price will determine how quickly it sells. A higher price may mean waiting longer for the right buyer to come along.

haolejohn
09-17-2010, 01:41 PM
You can't use the car argument, Ukuleles don't wear out like a machine...

More like a collectable, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

JT

I know the car argument isn't the best but it does apply. vintage cars can go for more than ther original. You are 100% correct. It is really worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Heck advertise it for more than you want. People like to haggle. I know every uke I have sold I have been low balled like crazy. I usually got what i wanted b/c I was in no major rush to sell them.

BadLands Bart
09-17-2010, 01:46 PM
I think if it's in excellent condition you should sell it for what you paid for it. It's worth more now? Plus the wood has opened up. Can't really justify selling it for less than you paid. Just my opinion.

I agree 100% with sukie!!! :agree:

Hippie Dribble
09-17-2010, 01:55 PM
sorry Howie, but for me it's purely a philosophical thing and an ethical issue actually.

How can you buy something and use it for two years, then expect to resell it for the price you paid for it?

My own conscience wouldn't let me do that I'm afraid...

of course, the other angle is that, hey, business is business is business!!! If someone is willing to pay the higher price then why not sell it to them and get all you can?

As I said I would put $700 on it and feel satisfied getting back 80 percent of what I'd paid, and also feel satisfied I'd given someone a reasonable deal.

Just my:2cents:

eugene

Coconut Willie
09-17-2010, 02:10 PM
If you REALLY want to sell it then price it about 25% of what you paid (give or take). If you are not dying to sell it then list the price at what you paid and hold firm. There is a buyer out there for everything.

Lori
09-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I believe that the KoAloha "better than the weather" warranty is only for the original owner, so I think that will effect the resale price.

–Lori

Howie1947
09-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Thanks to all for their input..........Howie........................By the way, that picture of me and Aldrine in the corner, I have my Superconcert with me

koalition
09-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I say sell for what you paid for it, OBO. It's yours anyways, so do what you feel is best for you! Aloha!

experimentjon
09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Sorry, Howie, but I'd have to agree with John, Eugene, and Staci. I think a fair market price would be around $700. And it's very rare to get what you paid for a ukulele, even if it is a Big 3 ukulele.

For one, very few people pay the retail price...or at least not in HI. The going rate is usually 15% below retail, unless you decide to shop in Waikiki...so around $790, granted that you are including a hard case (+$30sih). The fact that it has a crown bridge is also a good selling point though.

I'd reccomend listing it at $750 OBO. Or you can always put it on evil bay and let the market decide.

You'd be taking a small loss, but I'm sure you've enjoyed the ukulele, so it's like a rental fee.

Ronnie Aloha
09-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Sorry, Howie, but I'd have to agree with John, Eugene, and Staci. I think a fair market price would be around $700. And it's very rare to get what you paid for a ukulele, even if it is a Big 3 ukulele.

For one, very few people pay the retail price...or at least not in HI. The going rate is usually 15% below retail, unless you decide to shop in Waikiki...so around $790, granted that you are including a hard case (+$30sih). The fact that it has a crown bridge is also a good selling point though.

I'd reccomend listing it at $750 OBO. Or you can always put it on evil bay and let the market decide.

You'd be taking a small loss, but I'm sure you've enjoyed the ukulele, so it's like a rental fee.

Gotta go with this. I think $700 would be the most you could get from an informed buyer. That's about the going rate for a crown tenor in mint condition from past ebay sales.

Then again, you can ask whatever you want. If you don't get what you want then don't sell it.

MartinLil
09-18-2010, 02:35 PM
I definitely agree with the two above posts. Good luck if you decide to sell!

Lil

guitharsis
09-19-2010, 01:28 AM
Yes it does have the Crown Bridge, and a nice foam case too. It has been well cared for. Probably in "Mint" condition. As far as my favorites.................They are all good Kanilea, Kamaka, KoAloha............

Late to respond, but I think the crown bridge and the "mint" conditon add to the value. You may be able to get what you paid which is still less than retail today. You just have to find the right buyer.

Great ukulele collection!

Kauai808
09-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Bought a mint condition Koaloha Tenor with the crown bridge and a Koolau case right here off the underground marketplace for $700 plus $30 for shipping. I feel I got a good deal. I have selled a few ukes myself and I always make sure my buyers feel they got a good price as well. But it is your uke, sell it for what you want. If the price is right, I might even be interested.

mm stan
09-20-2010, 02:27 AM
Bought a mint condition Koaloha Tenor with the crown bridge and a Koolau case right here off the underground marketplace for $700 plus $30 for shipping. I feel I got a good deal. I have selled a few ukes myself and I always make sure my buyers feel they got a good price as well. But it is your uke, sell it for what you want. If the price is right, I might even be interested.

Didn't Member Nuprin sell his good condition Koaloha tenor with the crown bridge and pick-up for $425.00 on the marketplace too...HMMMM

Nuprin
09-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Didn't Member Nuprin sell his good condition Koaloha tenor with the crown bridge and pick-up for $425.00 on the marketplace too...HMMMM

My tenor really couldn't be considered mint condition though. The bridge had definitely been reglued at some point (you can see remnants of the glue) and there was a chip in the soundboard from when the bridge originally came off. Plus, I was trying to sell quickly...wanted to get a Mya Moe NWAS Super Soprano so I was trying to raise funds to just pay it off all at once (rather than pay the deposit and come up with the remainder when the uke was finished).

When I got my crown bridge tenor through eBay, there was another mint one for sale...I believe it sold for somewhere between $750-$800 so, as tenors are a little more expensive than Super Concerts, I would think $700-$750 would be a fair price.