my ukulele is dying.

nikolo727

Reaction score
I dont know about you guys but I think my ukulele is wearing down. Its just not making the same sounds as it use too. I dont know if its just me but does anyone know if ukuleles can go bad after a while?

i heard something about the wood not being able to vibrate anymore but I dont know. i might just have to change the string type. The aquilas are just not working for me anymore.

ive never dropped my uke, I always put it in its case or hang it up on the wall and it barely has any signs of use.

You can visibley tell that the finish on the neck is wearing down. it is just a shade paler than the body of the uke.

Its only three years old but im worried about it! its just not sounding right.

anyone help?

Has it seemed depressed lately?

seriously, it wouldn't be age. Some of the oldest instruments sound the sweetest. High humidity can dull the sound of a wooden instrument. Has it been hazy, hot and humid by you lately? Other culprits could include strings. Or it could be you.

Any reasonably decent uke should hold up more than 3 years. You didn't mention which ukulele it was.

whoop. well i think it might be the humidity. for the past couple weeks we have been hit with rain and then high 80 temperature so humidity has been brutal.

i will look into changing the strings too.

btw it is a Lanikai ukulele.

koa wood body, rosewood fretboard, bone nut and saddle, various inlay.

and i will also have a talk with myself about my playing. :eek:

i am thinking...well...not thinking. let me put it this way: I am getting a new uke. I want it to be an ohana but we shall see.

thanks for the response.

and yes i have talked to my uke and she is depressed.

its too hot for her.

(yea i talk to my ukes. dont like it. megabite me.)

I dunno, I have 2 ukes that are over 50 years old and they sound great. My guess is the strings.

I was gonna say the say the same thing.

Unless you've been having crazy weather - i can't see why the change would be so sudden it not for the strings.

I'd try changing the strings first (but only when you've ordered your new ukulele) then if it's still bad, have it reset somewhere you trust. My son's guitar got warped after a winter in a damp house so he took it back to the factory where they made it wonderful once more and advised him on how to prevent it happening again. (Fylde Guitars, if anyone's wondering)

Age shouldn't matter. My favourite and best uke is 80. Good luck!

Living in the tropics, with more than 60% humidity most of the year, I know what can happen to instruments when they get humid... they get dull, the finish could start bubbling, parts of the body might move or change...

The best de-humidifier I found is M.U.D.. It's essentially a tube with New Zealand mud in it that soaks up the humidity. When full, you whack it in the microwave or oven, dry it out and use again. These things perform miracles!

We (at the shop) have healed a lot of sick instruments with it.

It retails for $30. If anyone wants one, drop me a line.

You may need it as compared to your new Ohana, the Lanikai will end up sounding even duller!

I noticed you were looking at the CK35G. It's a great uke. The CK50G is even nicer. Ohana makes very nice ukes with great tone and projection. I love playing them, the necks on the concerts are great!

I noticed you were looking at the CK35G. It's a great uke. The CK50G is even nicer.
The 50G is the Cedar/Rosewood combo. How would you describe the tone difference between that and the all-maholgany?

yea we have been having weird weather. reeallly humid.

what is the difference between the CK35G and the CK50G.

i really like the deep mellow sound of the ck35G. does the ck50g have an even mellower deep sound?

Top Bottom