Kala spalted maple Baritone

lozarkman

Reaction score
Oh My! My UAS is acting up again. I have a Kala spalted maple tenor I really like and just saw this Kala in baritone that caught my attention. http://cgi.ebay.com/KALA-TREE-SPALT...385?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a5ecdb7b9 I wonder how this compares to the new line of Pono's just out at about the same price. Anyone have experience with Pono? SO tempting! Maybe if I sleep on it overnight it will go away, but I doubt it. Lozark

Last edited:
The urge passed, for the time being. Decided to wait awhile. Wife not too happy about me buying another Uke for awhile. Guess I'll have to sing You Are My Sunshine to her a few more times :) :) That usually gets her. Lozark

My own UAS is also twitching and I've been investigating baritones... I like Kalas, and this looks very sweet - but the decorated fretboard makes me hesitate. Beacuse I have some vision issues, I like having distinct and clear marks (on the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 12th frets...) and I'm unsure how I would like a fretboard so heavily decorated with no clear marks on those frets. Are there dots on the side to identify the frets as well?

I just got a Makala MK-B baritone to test the waters. I've really been digging it lately and have been thinking of getting a nicer one. The spalted maple is absolutely beautiful but I find that I still use the fret markers so the inlay, as pretty as it is, is a problem for me. Just my two cents.

Great Nuprin: Glad you are enjoying your MK-B. I have one and play it a lot. Are you tuned D or C tuning. Ive tuned mine to C tuning low G and really like it. Yeah I love the inlay fretboard on the Kala, but the lack of markers is a bit questionable. Usually on Ukes of that quality they do have markers on the edge of fretboard, which I prefer anyway. But I can't tell from the pics on this one, but I would assume they are there. Loverly Bari, but wifey still not convinced yet. Good luck Lozark

Top Bottom