String problem?

isaachristian

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I recently just ordered a soprano hula uke online and it just arrived today. I was so stoked to play it, but the strings feel weird to me when I strum or pick. It came with GHS strings (hilo strings?) and I feel that the people at the store string the ukulele too loose. Whenever I try to tune it, just a little notch would change the note dramatically! I feel like something is just wrong. I have a tenor sized hula uke also and the strings feel so firm and feels good. Is it just me or will I need to restring my soprano with new strings? And if thats the case, what are good strings for my soprano? Thanks so much for the help guys!:D

oh and I also want to add that I feel like the sound from the strings are horrible (compared to the sound of my tenor). Any solution would be great :)

Fellow Noobie but I will bite here...
First, GHS strings aren't worth the time it takes to break them in- that is personal experience talking there, but I would go for some Worth clear strings (my favorite on Sopranos) or the ever touted Aquilas (I took these off my sopranos and put worths on).
As for loose and sloppy- that is break in I am certain...I hate strings when they are breaking in (and I have played all of 4 weeks)
When the strings settle down, I have noted the tuners settle down too, but inexpensive friction tuners definitely need some finesse to get online.
Also, it is my experience that tenors have higher tension (I have two of them) in the strings than Sopranos...I am going to say if you like the way the tenor feels, get some Worth clear High Tension strings and throw them in. My wife plays the Sopranos (as do I occasionally) and she likes them medium, but being a tenor guy, I always want to string them tight. She likes the mediums and gets great sound out of them so I figure I will leave well enough alone.

thank you so much TCK. so basically your suggestion is to put Worth clear strings on my soprano? And then if ever Aquilas for back up?

Know what? Buy the Worth clears and if you can't stand them PM me- I will send you a set of slightly used Aquilas just for going to the trouble...
If you want, you can PM me your addy and I will send a set of Aquilas anyway- they just don't work with what we've got

thank you once again TCK. I just ordered some worths. I'll let you know what I think about them :D

Where did you order the Worths from? I have had trouble finding them.

Last edited:
Aloha Is aa Christian,
Welcome to the UU and our forums, and congrats on the new Hilo uke.....I have two older models..too
I believe that your strings are just breaking in and it's their streching period...to quicken the process
tune your ukulele and bend the strings side to side or up and down....and retune...redo the process
two ot three times....next day do the same as needed...and it will come around and the streching
will stabalize....many people will say it takes days or weeks, for me...it's how much I play my uke
to stablize the strings. Also New premimum strings will always be better than factory ones..
If you want a brighter tone, aquila's the way to go....If a richer one, go with the worths...
I hope this helps, Good Luck!! Let us know how it turns out....MM Stan...

Top Bottom