PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered a Mainland :-)

NatalieS
09-18-2010, 05:20 AM
I've been wanting another uke for a while, but the funds just aren't there to get a high-price custom. (Well, the funds were there but I bought a kayak instead) :o

Soooooo... I decided to order a Mainland! About 6 months ago, I tried out the mango pineapple that UkeRepublic had, and I really liked it. I was also really charmed by the rope binding, which I'd never cared for in pictures. It really does look much better in person.

So this morning I ordered a gloss mango pineapple with silver geared tuners and MOP buttons. I can't wait to get it in and try it out! I've been looking for a second soprano, and I like the added volume that the pineapple shape offers. I debated between mango and mahogany, but I just really like the rich red of the mango. (And I love the sound of mango as well).

Woohoo!

olgoat52
09-18-2010, 05:38 AM
I've been wanting another uke for a while, but the funds just aren't there to get a high-price custom. (Well, the funds were there but I bought a kayak instead) :o

Soooooo... I decided to order a Mainland! About 6 months ago, I tried out the mango pineapple that UkeRepublic had, and I really liked it. I was also really charmed by the rope binding, which I'd never cared for in pictures. It really does look much better in person.

So this morning I ordered a gloss mango pineapple with silver geared tuners and MOP buttons. I can't wait to get it in and try it out! I've been looking for a second soprano, and I like the added volume that the pineapple shape offers. I debated between mango and mahogany, but I just really like the rich red of the mango. (And I love the sound of mango as well).

Woohoo!

The Amber buttons look really good with the Mango too. I'll bet the pineapple shape and the mango brightness will be a good combination.

Lexxy
09-18-2010, 05:39 AM
Grats on the Mainland uke! Do show it around :)

mm stan
09-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Aloha Natalie S,
Congrats on the new purchase of your Pineapple Mango Mainland and thanks for sharing with us...
And now the excruciating wait...never mind you got lots of other ukes to play with and your new
Kayak to keep you occupied until it arrives...Let us know how it turns out and give us the 411...
Soo happy for ya!! You betcha, Wooooo Wooooo, You Goooo Girl!! Have Fun!!!
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
BTW..Jus love you new Avatar, did you paint that?????

NatalieS
09-18-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks! mmstan, that painting is done by Sueyoshi Yoko, a Japanese artist. I think she has a website but I just discovered her work and it's so amazing! I could never paint anything like that :)

nickman2
09-18-2010, 09:32 AM
it sounds awesome. all of the mainlands that i have played have been really good. i hope your Uke is awesome.

mds725
09-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Congratulations on the new ukulele! Although we know what a Mainland mango pineapple ukulele looks like, I hope you post some photos of yours when you get it. I never get tired of new ukulele photos.

NatalieS
09-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Sure I'll definitely post some pictures :) I hope it gets here soon!

Ahnko Honu
09-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Oooh, another pineapple convert! Can't wait to see the pictures or better yet a video review! ;) ;) ;)
Don't forget to join the pineapple patch.

Chris Tarman
09-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Congratulations! I LOVE my Mainland Red Cedar pineapple. It's my only pineapple to date (unless you count a Flea as a pineapple... I guess it SORT of is, huh?). The rope binding looks WAAAAY better in person than in photos.

ichadwick
09-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I have a Mainland mango, tenor (traditional shape, not the pineapple). It's a beautiful instrument and very sweet sounding. I think you'll be delighted by yours.

Pippin
09-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Congratulations on your new uke. I hope it meets or exceeds every expectation.

NatalieS
09-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Delivery is scheduled for Friday!

And I spoke with Mike on the phone and changed the tuners to friction. My major gripe about my Lanikai soprano is that the geared tuners make it feel top-heavy and cramped in the first few frets.

Can't wait for it to get here!

mm stan
09-22-2010, 05:14 AM
Don't cha hope it gets there before the weekend.....betcha checkin' the mailman everyday now..He He...
Let us know how it turns out....Have fun girl.....enjoy!!! MM Stan..

jtafaro
09-23-2010, 03:38 PM
I just got a Mainland concert with the cedar top and rosewood back. It is a great uke. I like the friction tuners but they do have to be tightened from time to time especially when its new. They say final assemby is done in the USA. I think that is just putting on the tuners and strings. They are made in the same factory in northern China that the Ohanas are made. They are both great ukes. I ordered an inlaid uke from Taisamlu in Taiwan but it will get here next month(when my wife is out of town) Ain't ukes grand. I am going to try the auto harp next. But I use the uke in all my gigs now. The old folks home crowd loves to sing along with me and the uke. But the purpose of playing in public is entertainment. You will love your Mainland uke.

NatalieS
09-23-2010, 05:21 PM
It's currently sitting in Jacksonville FL. DELIVERY TOMORROW!! :D

Lexxy
09-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm getting all excited over your new uke? :P

Mouthy1
09-23-2010, 05:48 PM
I have a concert mohag. I was disappointed for the first month or so than I started beating on it and it really opened up. Now it is amazing but it was funny that I thought it was the worst uke I own at one point! Congrat's tomorrow and it is wonderful. I just got my Big Island Honu rope and it is friggin' awesome!!!!!!

joeybug
09-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Congrats on your new uke, I'm saving for a new one myself and I've only been playing a few weeks :D

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 09:37 AM
Okay so it's here! And I hate to say this, because I've never had this issue before, but my gut feeling is to return it. Dang! I feel like a bad person for even saying that. But now that I've got it here and looked it over, the rope binding is really not my thing. I remembered thinking it was ok when I saw it on the uke that UkeRepublic had. And it certainly is very pretty and well done, it's just not me. I don't want to hurt Mike's feelings, but I know that for me and my style, it unfortunately won't be a keeper.

Ahnko Honu
09-24-2010, 09:55 AM
Close your eyes and play it, see how it sounds before you decide. I think you will learn to love it for what it is, the inner 'ukulele. ;)

mm stan
09-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Okay so it's here! And I hate to say this, because I've never had this issue before, but my gut feeling is to return it. Dang! I feel like a bad person for even saying that. But now that I've got it here and looked it over, the rope binding is really not my thing. I remembered thinking it was ok when I saw it on the uke that UkeRepublic had. And it certainly is very pretty and well done, it's just not me. I don't want to hurt Mike's feelings, but I know that for me and my style, it unfortunately won't be a keeper.

Aloha Nat,
Sorry to hear the asthetics is not pleasing to the eye for you...but how about the sound????You know rope binding doesn't grow right away for me too, if like the sound,
maybe you'll overlook it and in time will grow on you...Ukuleles are like people you know, it's what's inside that counts......I hope it works out for you!! Good Luck!!!Let us know how
it turns out!!! "Keep strumming them strings" Have Fun!! MM Stan...

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 01:05 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, guys! I've closed my eyes and played it, and I still prefer the sound of my Lanikai. I think I've come up with a good solution, though. Tomorrow I'm going to visit a uke shop that's an hour and half away. Apparently they carry over 100 ukes. I'll try as many as I can there, and see if I fall in love with anything. It may be that I'm being so picky I'm not giving anything a chance. If I come out of that store empty-handed, then I'll know that it's an issue I've got to get over.

I think part of it is that I'm looking for a replacement for my Lanikai, which has a lot of sentimental value. Whatever my new soprano is, it's got huge shoes to fill.

roxhum
09-24-2010, 01:20 PM
I am new at this but yeah, I get bonded with these ukus. I had an entry level Lanikai and really prematurely made an upgrade and than had trouble transitioning. I was too embarrassed to return my new uke because I had visited the store every day for weeks and already returned the first uku I brought home. I finally had to put away my Lanikai, which will be a Christmas present for my daughter-in-law, to give the new uku a chance to bond without constant comparisons. I am now head over heels in love with my newest uke, a Mainland. Anyway, yea there is a bit of sentimentality and emotional bonding that happens. Or maybe we are just completely nuts, but I am okay with that.

Good luck with your search and if you need to return the Mainland go for it and don't feel guilty. Maybe it is premature replacing your Lanikai.

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Thanks, roxhum, and um... is that a corgi in your avatar? These are my babies... :D

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/BT3.jpg

roxhum
09-24-2010, 01:36 PM
OMG!!! Cardigan Corgis! Who are you? Where are you? What beautiful babies. Yes that is the Magnificent Morgan (a female) in my avatar and I also have a brindle, the gallant Galen. They are getting old, Morgan is 13 and Galen is 9. You see I am crazy because I also have a corgi mutt, Toby the Terrible and because of all the shedding I got a miniature poodle who thinks he's a corgi named Good Time Charley. Of course getting a Poodle didn't do anything to eliminate the shedding, just didn't add to it. So now I know you are "alright" because you love those wonderful Corgi's with tail.
How do you attach photos?

Lexxy
09-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey nat, just my two cents here, maybe you should give it a chance to 'open up' before you sell it? :)

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 01:47 PM
OMG!!! Cardigan Corgis! Who are you? Where are you? What beautiful babies. Yes that is the Magnificent Morgan (a female) in my avatar and I also have a brindle, the gallant Galen. They are getting old, Morgan is 13 and Galen is 9. You see I am crazy because I also have a corgi mutt, Toby the Terrible and because of all the shedding I got a miniature poodle who thinks he's a corgi named Good Time Charley. Of course getting a Poodle didn't do anything to eliminate the shedding, just didn't add to it. So now I know you are "alright" because you love those wonderful Corgi's with tail.
How do you attach photos?

Awesome!!!! Corgi lovers have to stick together. :) I love the names Morgan and Galen!!! Mine are Tristan and Bess. Here is my parents' cardi, Gavin.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/G13.jpg

Yes the shedding is certainly something to contend with!! When my two are both shedding, it's like I'm in a snowglobe full of fur rather than snow. The furminator works wonders in my house. :)

As for attaching pictures, I have a free membership with photobucket.com. You can add photos there, then underneath each photo there's something that says "IMG link". Copy and paste that into your posts here. I want to see pictures of your little ones!

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Hey nat, just my two cents here, maybe you should give it a chance to 'open up' before you sell it? :)

Hey Lexxy, thanks for that.. :) I think I'll still make the trip to the uke shop tomorrow. I won't make any rash decisions, I'll think this one over for a few days before I make up my mind about returning. Thanks :)

peterp
09-24-2010, 03:07 PM
give the new uke a little time. i didn't like my kamaka pineapple right away, but it's sounding better and better. not moore bettah, however.

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 03:12 PM
give the new uke a little time. i didn't like my kamaka pineapple right away, but it's sounding better and better. not moore bettah, however.

Thanks. It's not so much the sound, which is good but not quite as good as my Lanikai. My main issue is how it looks. I know it's very superficial of me, but the aesthetics have always meant a lot to me in whether a uke stays with me or not.

mds725
09-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking the way an ukulele looks. An ukulele is not a person, and it's okay to think about whether you like it by considering its visual appeal to you. There are ukulele makers, like Mainland, that make perfectly good ukuleles and put the rope design on them not because it enhances the sound of the ukulel but because some people like the way it looks. Mainland even offered a "plain Jane" ukulele, without the rope design, for people who didn't like it. You're not any more superficial than someone who chooses an ukulele with a satin finish over one with a shiny finish, or prefers mother of pearl tuner handles to black or brown ones. I think if you like the way your ukulele looks, you're more likely to play it. And the ukulele you got from Mainland ought to be owned and played by someone who likes the way it looks more than you do.

Have a good time at the ukulele shop tomorrow! It should be lots of fun than test-driving a whole bunch of different ukuleles. I hope you find one you like.

NatalieS
09-24-2010, 04:11 PM
^ Thanks. :) That made me feel better.

And I'm a huge fan of Jiminy Cricket, by the way :)

Hippie Dribble
09-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I don't think there's anything wrong with not liking the way an ukulele looks. An ukulele is not a person, and it's okay to think about whether you like it by considering its visual appeal to you. There are ukulele makers, like Mainland, that make perfectly good ukuleles and put the rope design on them not because it enhances the sound of the ukulel but because some people like the way it looks. Mainland even offered a "plain Jane" ukulele, without the rope design, for people who didn't like it. You're not any more superficial than someone who chooses an ukulele with a satin finish over one with a shiny finish, or prefers mother of pearl tuner handles to black or brown ones. I think if you like the way your ukulele looks, you're more likely to play it. And the ukulele you got from Mainland ought to be owned and played by someone who likes the way it looks more than you do.

Have a good time at the ukulele shop tomorrow! It should be lots of fun than test-driving a whole bunch of different ukuleles. I hope you find one you like.

I agree totally mds725. Looks are as important to me as sound, even more in some ways. I've always been a sucker for aesthetics...I guess if you go for a reputable brand who build quality ukes with good sound, then going for a good looking one is a safe bet! You get the best of both worlds!

Gmoney
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Awesome!!!! Corgi lovers have to stick together. :)

Finally! Another corgi w/a tail! I thought ours was an aberration. We had three, but my wife has had a very hard year medically, so we had to find good homes for the welsh corgi & one of the "cardigans" - we weren't sure of their breeding. The one we have left looks like a younger version of "Gavin" from your photos, except Lars is a bit browner. But he is a character.

As to you new uke, give Mike at UkeRepublic a call, I'd bet he'd be more than willing to work w/you in finding a better uke fit for you I've bought a couple of ukes from him myself). From my Bing searches (use the underdog search engine like I play a the uke), it appears that your Lanikai is somewhat special being solid Koa, so it might really be hard for a totally different appearing uke to seem so foreign to you. I have two Mainlands w/another on its way next week, so I have to say that I love the rope purfling. I have a Mele Mahoghany Pineapple that has rope binding that is a bit more subtle than the prominent Mainland style & it appears to be a common decoration on a lot of vintage ukes.

Any way, keep strumming & enjoying your ukes AND your Corgi's!

mds725
09-24-2010, 04:33 PM
^ Thanks. :) That made me feel better.

And I'm a huge fan of Jiminy Cricket, by the way :)

You're welcome. And I've been a big fan for a long time. I even have an original animation cel of him from a 1960s Christmas special (he's wearing a green vest and a red cravat). I decided to make him my avatar at UU when I learned that he was voiced by Cliff "Ukulele Ike" Edwards.

Lori
09-24-2010, 06:42 PM
http://ukemaker.com/images/UkeGallery/206-Dias-1024.jpg
The rope binding has a really long history with the ukulele. Check out the reproduction uke by Mike DaSilva of a 1890 Dias ukulele. Once I saw it's place in the history of the ukulele design, I got a better perspective of what it is referring to.
–Lori

Chris Tarman
09-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Natalie,
I am bummed that you don't like the Mainland. I love mine and was excited for you. I know you can't really be talked into liking the binding if you just plain DON'T like it. But maybe you could look at it for a few days before you make up your mind... that is, if you don't find something you like at the uke shop. I hope you either find something you like or else come to like the Mainland, because Buyer's Remorse is NO FUN at all.
Best wishes,
Chris

ADD
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM
These are my babies... :D

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa270/nksteckler/BT3.jpg[/QUOTE]

They are the most beautiful Corgis I have ever seen. Saved the picture - hope you don't mind. I'd love a Corgi if I didn't already have 3 pups, all rescues.

Didn't like the rope binding on my cedar top Mainland concert when I got it and still don't plus all the fret edges are rough and need filing, but I find myself playing it alot because of the sound and it is always in tune. And I have more than a dozen ukes to play. Go figure.

NatalieS
09-26-2010, 02:59 AM
Aw, thanks ADD. What kind of dogs are your rescue pups?

I don't want to disappoint anyone but I contacted Mike with plans to return the uke. Some of you may not know but, I've gone through probably 15 ukes since I started playing about 4 years ago. They just don't stick with me unless I fall in love. I guess that's why I currently have only four, and I love every single one to death. :)

Doc_J
09-26-2010, 03:48 AM
Thanks for sharing your new uke experiences.
I think we've gotten a uke we thought we would like but didn't fit well.
Last summer I got Kala-Larrivee uke, which was the best looking uke I have owned, it had a nice feel, but it didn't quite have the sound I wanted (not as nice as a lanikai lk-1s). Sold it after two months of really trying to like the sound better, hoping it would "open-up".

So you're a better decision maker than most of us.

Good luck on finding your next uke.

BTW everyone NICE CORGI PICTURES
(my avatar is a rescued chihuahua, Rafael)

Gmoney
09-26-2010, 05:01 AM
I don't want to disappoint anyone but I contacted Mike with plans to return the uke.

I knew that Mike would work w/you. Heck of a nice guy & dealer. He carries a pretty good assortment & can line you up w/custom LoPrinzi ukes as well for a reasonable price. Good luck on your quest. I have my eyes & heart on a Pineapple Sunday, but find that it's hard to decide to relinquish ANY of the others to go towards that purchase. Sigh, UAS & its demons.

NatalieS
09-26-2010, 05:04 AM
I knew that Mike would work w/you. Heck of a nice guy & dealer. He carries a pretty good assortment & can line you up w/custom LoPrinzi ukes as well for a reasonable price. Good luck on your quest. I have my eyes & heart on a Pineapple Sunday, but find that it's hard to decide to relinquish ANY of the others to go towards that purchase. Sigh, UAS & its demons.

Thanks. I haven't heard back from Mike yet, but my email was sent yesterday. I tried to explain as best I could that, while the uke is cute and great quality, I just have a different "look" in mind.

If worse comes to worst and I can't return it, then I will suck up the difference and pass it on here on the UU forum. :)

Ahnko Honu
09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Doesn't Mike now sell 'ukuleles without the rope binding? Maybe you can trade straight across for a plain jane model.

Chris Tarman
09-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Doesn't Mike now sell 'ukuleles without the rope binding? Maybe you can trade straight across for a plain jane model.

They aren't currently on the website, and it seems like they were a limited edition sort of thing.

ukuDaily
09-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I understand about your feelings about your Mainland. I deliberated back and forth for about two months. Mainlands were so talked up here that my mindset was that everything about them was amazing. I finally pulled the trigger on a concert mango. When it arrived, at arms length it was certainly pretty, but as I have spent more time with it the uke surely didn't live up to the expectation level set here on the boards.

The action is a bit off and as a result, I get some buzziness at times unless I apply substantial finger pressure. The frets over the body are very poorly finished, actually hanging over the sides of the fret board. On one of the body's curves, it is irregular where it looked like it had been dropped during the manufacturing process. It isn't bad enough that one would notice until you handle it for a while.

None of these issues are earth-shattering, but combined they were enough to leave me disappointed. Granted, it was just a $260 instrument, but when I compare setup, fit and finish between it and the Kala Concert Travel uke I bought off eBay for $80, the craftsmanship of the of the Kala is superior. I imagine I will eventually put it up for sale here or on eBay.

NatalieS
09-26-2010, 02:21 PM
uku, I understand what you mean. I thought the instrument was nice, but not as mindblowing as I'd hoped.

Ahnko, I think Mainland does offer concert and tenor "plain janes" in mahogany, but I'm in search of a soprano.

And I will say... I've got another uke on the way. I purchased it this morning after instantly falling in love with pictures of it. It should arrive Wednesday. I won't say what it is just yet, but it's not a Mainland. :)

mds725
09-26-2010, 05:54 PM
And I will say... I've got another uke on the way. I purchased it this morning after instantly falling in love with pictures of it. It should arrive Wednesday. I won't say what it is just yet, but it's not a Mainland. :)

Congratulations! I hope you like it as much in person as you did in photos! I can't wait to see what it is. I hope you post photos!

NatalieS
09-27-2010, 01:47 AM
Congratulations! I hope you like it as much in person as you did in photos! I can't wait to see what it is. I hope you post photos!

I will! :) I'm more excited about this one than I've been about any uke in a long time. The next two days are going to be excruciatingly long.

ADD
09-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I will! :) I'm more excited about this one than I've been about any uke in a long time. The next two days are going to be excruciatingly long.

Aw, come on, tell us. This is too much suspense for me. A hint? Want you to know I sincerely hope you'll love it and it is the complete package of beauty, playability and sound.

Doc_J's little rescue, Raphael, sure is cute. Maybe we need to start a thread about our pets. You asked about my three. If I knew how to, I'd post a picture. Mona Lys, a bossy Norwegian Elkhound is demanding and talks back when she doesn't get her way. Tilly is a mix of ?wire hair terrier, border collie and greyhound? so thinks the vet. She is sweet, loving and oh so needy; looks deeply into my eyes and makes me wonder if she isn't really a person in a dog's body. She had been adopted and returned 3 times before we got her. Mugsy Henry is a cairn terrier/poodle mix who's social life includes at least one afternoon or overnight visit a week with a friend.

Chris Tarman
09-27-2010, 05:42 PM
Well, today I ordered another Mainland. I have been wanting a soprano with a pickup (my only uke with a pickup is a not-very-good concert sized one), so I ordered a gloss mahogany soprano with the Mi-Si pickup system. Now the not-so-fun waiting starts!
Speaking of UAS, and since people here are talking about their dogs, here's a pic of one of our dogs, who has the worst case of DTAS (Dog Toy Acquisition Syndrome) I have ever seen:16339
Not a Corgi, but she IS a shelter dog. German Shepherd/Yellow Lab mix, I would guess. Possibly shepherd/golden retriever.

ADD
09-27-2010, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=ukuDaily;477400]
The frets over the body are very poorly finished, actually hanging over the sides of the fret board.

Frets....very, very poorly finished............and sharp edges. Thanks goodness none of the other issues you have. It's the red cedar concert, great sounding, always stays in tune. Dislike the purfing, especially on the headstock.

NatalieS
09-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Well, today I ordered another Mainland. I have been wanting a soprano with a pickup (my only uke with a pickup is a not-very-good concert sized one), so I ordered a gloss mahogany soprano with the Mi-Si pickup system. Now the not-so-fun waiting starts!
Speaking of UAS, and since people here are talking about their dogs, here's a pic of one of our dogs, who has the worst case of DTAS (Dog Toy Acquisition Syndrome) I have ever seen:16339
Not a Corgi, but she IS a shelter dog. German Shepherd/Yellow Lab mix, I would guess. Possibly shepherd/golden retriever.

She's beautiful!!! And such a lucky girl to have so many toys. :) By the looks of those, she looks like a "fetcher" to me. Am I right?
What's her name?

roxhum
09-28-2010, 03:20 AM
She is lovely. I just love dogs because they are like kids and can be selfish and hoarde there toys. I made the mistake over the weekend of giving mine big fat meaty raw beef bones and now they are being very sneaky about bringing them into the house. Yuk. Almost as bad as what the kittys bring home.
Nice dog and good for you for getting a shelter dog.

Nat, tell us please about your new uku!!!

Chris Tarman
09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
She's beautiful!!! And such a lucky girl to have so many toys. :) By the looks of those, she looks like a "fetcher" to me. Am I right?
What's her name?

Her name's Lizzie. She's a great fetcher, but not so good a "giver-backer". She's also a huge toy-hog. If our older dog tries to get a toy, Lizzie drops whatever toy she has to get the other dog's toy. Normally, all those toys are in a big basket, but I decided it would be fun to pile them all on her. She's very good about things like that.

peterp
09-28-2010, 03:52 PM
chris: i think your dog learned toy collecting from her daddy... who collects ukes... and guitars. all in the family.

mds725
09-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Natalie,

I think the entire UU universe is wondering about the other ukulele you ordered a few days ago. Has it arrived yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

Mandarb
09-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Natalie,

I think the entire UU universe is wondering about the other ukulele you ordered a few days ago. Has it arrived yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

Agreed - what did you get?

brickerenator
09-30-2010, 08:21 AM
uku, I understand what you mean. I thought the instrument was nice, but not as mindblowing as I'd hoped.

I guess people like me are to blame for that.

For many of us, it was our first uke over $50. And combined with the improvement of playing for 4 to 5 months, we feel like we're on top of the world.

Landshark
09-30-2010, 08:44 AM
No comment on the mainland but when it comes to dogs, here is my pup, Layla
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/abcphotowest/layla-1-1.jpg

roxhum
09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
Layla is beautiful!!! I love those herding dogs, so smart.

ADD
09-30-2010, 01:55 PM
This thread has gone to the dogs. Not a problem with me, except I'll never remember where all these neat pics are a few months from now. Not sure how it works but need a way to get an OUR PETS Thread started and get these pics on it.

Bob, great picture of Layla, a beauty.
Chris, congrats and hope you don't have to wait too long for your new Mainland.
And Natalie, any comments, hints re: what's happening with Mainland or new uke arrival date?

Is that just your avatar or a petfriend, peterp?

NatalieS
09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Natalie,

So new uke day was supposed to be YESTERDAY but I missed its arrival by 5 minutes and it needed a signature! Needless to say, I was really upset. And I spent all day today out of town for work. So TOMORROW is officially new uke day! I am driving to Ocala to pick it up at FedEx. I don't mean to hold you guys in suspense, but I want to make sure this is the one before I blurt it out everywhere. I strongly suspect it will be the one. I will update as soon as I get it!!

Lexxy
09-30-2010, 02:29 PM
So new uke day was supposed to be YESTERDAY but I missed its arrival by 5 minutes and it needed a signature! Needless to say, I was really upset. And I spent all day today out of town for work. So TOMORROW is officially new uke day! I am driving to Ocala to pick it up at FedEx. I don't mean to hold you guys in suspense, but I want to make sure this is the one before I blurt it out everywhere. I strongly suspect it will be the one. I will update as soon as I get it!!

The suspense...THE SUSPENSE....

mds725
09-30-2010, 02:36 PM

YAY! I hope it's love at first sight!

NatalieS
09-30-2010, 03:28 PM
The suspense...THE SUSPENSE....

Oh yeah, I was devastated when I learned that my new uke day would be pushed back 2 days. I was inconsolable until I got a combo meal at Steak and Shake, now I'm ok. :)

Chris Tarman
09-30-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh yeah, I was devastated when I learned that my new uke day would be pushed back 2 days. I was inconsolable until I got a combo meal at Steak and Shake, now I'm ok. :)

Ahhh... food. The Great Comforter. My favorite comfort food, though, is REALLY REALLY REALLY hot Indian food. I'm kind of strange though.

mm stan
09-30-2010, 11:46 PM
YAY! I hope it's love at first sight!

Aloha Natalie,
Yup, I hope it's love by either first sight or first heard too...
and for a good meal...to be so content and satisfied everything fades away for awhile...
Keep us informed, and what did you pay for the mainland by the way??? MM Stan..

NatalieS
10-01-2010, 01:10 AM
^ I ordered the Mainland directly from Mike so I payed their price... $219 (I think?) plus shipping. Then I paid the return shipping for sending it back. Mike was fantastic through the whole process.