Just ordered a Mainland :-)

NatalieS

Reaction score
I've been wanting another uke for a while, but the funds just aren't there to get a high-price custom. (Well, the funds were there but I bought a kayak instead) :eek:

Soooooo... I decided to order a Mainland! About 6 months ago, I tried out the mango pineapple that UkeRepublic had, and I really liked it. I was also really charmed by the rope binding, which I'd never cared for in pictures. It really does look much better in person.

So this morning I ordered a gloss mango pineapple with silver geared tuners and MOP buttons. I can't wait to get it in and try it out! I've been looking for a second soprano, and I like the added volume that the pineapple shape offers. I debated between mango and mahogany, but I just really like the rich red of the mango. (And I love the sound of mango as well).

Woohoo!

I've been wanting another uke for a while, but the funds just aren't there to get a high-price custom. (Well, the funds were there but I bought a kayak instead) :eek:

Soooooo... I decided to order a Mainland! About 6 months ago, I tried out the mango pineapple that UkeRepublic had, and I really liked it. I was also really charmed by the rope binding, which I'd never cared for in pictures. It really does look much better in person.

So this morning I ordered a gloss mango pineapple with silver geared tuners and MOP buttons. I can't wait to get it in and try it out! I've been looking for a second soprano, and I like the added volume that the pineapple shape offers. I debated between mango and mahogany, but I just really like the rich red of the mango. (And I love the sound of mango as well).

Woohoo!

The Amber buttons look really good with the Mango too. I'll bet the pineapple shape and the mango brightness will be a good combination.

Aloha Natalie S,
Congrats on the new purchase of your Pineapple Mango Mainland and thanks for sharing with us...
And now the excruciating wait...never mind you got lots of other ukes to play with and your new
Kayak to keep you occupied until it arrives...Let us know how it turns out and give us the 411...
Soo happy for ya!! You betcha, Wooooo Wooooo, You Goooo Girl!! Have Fun!!!
"Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
BTW..Jus love you new Avatar, did you paint that?????

Thanks! mmstan, that painting is done by Sueyoshi Yoko, a Japanese artist. I think she has a website but I just discovered her work and it's so amazing! I could never paint anything like that :)

it sounds awesome. all of the mainlands that i have played have been really good. i hope your Uke is awesome.

Congratulations on the new ukulele! Although we know what a Mainland mango pineapple ukulele looks like, I hope you post some photos of yours when you get it. I never get tired of new ukulele photos.

Sure I'll definitely post some pictures :) I hope it gets here soon!

Oooh, another pineapple convert! Can't wait to see the pictures or better yet a video review! ;) ;) ;)
Don't forget to join the pineapple patch.

Congratulations! I LOVE my Mainland Red Cedar pineapple. It's my only pineapple to date (unless you count a Flea as a pineapple... I guess it SORT of is, huh?). The rope binding looks WAAAAY better in person than in photos.

I have a Mainland mango, tenor (traditional shape, not the pineapple). It's a beautiful instrument and very sweet sounding. I think you'll be delighted by yours.

Delivery is scheduled for Friday!

And I spoke with Mike on the phone and changed the tuners to friction. My major gripe about my Lanikai soprano is that the geared tuners make it feel top-heavy and cramped in the first few frets.

Can't wait for it to get here!

I just got a Mainland concert with the cedar top and rosewood back. It is a great uke. I like the friction tuners but they do have to be tightened from time to time especially when its new. They say final assemby is done in the USA. I think that is just putting on the tuners and strings. They are made in the same factory in northern China that the Ohanas are made. They are both great ukes. I ordered an inlaid uke from Taisamlu in Taiwan but it will get here next month(when my wife is out of town) Ain't ukes grand. I am going to try the auto harp next. But I use the uke in all my gigs now. The old folks home crowd loves to sing along with me and the uke. But the purpose of playing in public is entertainment. You will love your Mainland uke.

It's currently sitting in Jacksonville FL. DELIVERY TOMORROW!! :D

I have a concert mohag. I was disappointed for the first month or so than I started beating on it and it really opened up. Now it is amazing but it was funny that I thought it was the worst uke I own at one point! Congrat's tomorrow and it is wonderful. I just got my Big Island Honu rope and it is friggin' awesome!!!!!!

Congrats on your new uke, I'm saving for a new one myself and I've only been playing a few weeks :D

Okay so it's here! And I hate to say this, because I've never had this issue before, but my gut feeling is to return it. Dang! I feel like a bad person for even saying that. But now that I've got it here and looked it over, the rope binding is really not my thing. I remembered thinking it was ok when I saw it on the uke that UkeRepublic had. And it certainly is very pretty and well done, it's just not me. I don't want to hurt Mike's feelings, but I know that for me and my style, it unfortunately won't be a keeper.

Top Bottom