Which acoustic amp?

Landshark

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I have amps (Mesa, Fender) for my electric guitars but was thinking of getting something more specific for playing my ukes with. What is everybody using, I was wondering about the Fishman Mini Loudbox and/or Roland AC33? Any thoughts?

I own a lot of amps (around 60), for various applications. I like the battery powered amps, because they can be used anywhere:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification...

I own and use the AC-33. It has a built in 40 second looper, which can make you sound like a whole band. It runs an amazing amount of time on 8 AA batteries. I use rechargeable NiMH batteries in mine. It has two seperate instrument and microphone channels, each with their own controls. There is also a jack on the back with it's own volume control for playing tunes or backup tracks from an MP3 player or CD player. Add to that reverb, ambience and chorus effects. The kickstand aims the amp up, so you can monitor the sound. It has a switcheable anti-feedback circuit. If you've ever used an AC-60 or AC-90, this is identicle in function and controls. Ric

I like my cheapo honeytone.....it does the job!!!
Best bang for the buck!!!! for me at least......

I have a Loudbox - the first 250 watt version. Sounds great.
I like the sound of Rolands very much.
Since you already have a Fender, an Acoustasonic might be your horse - they have a string dynamics control that really works well with nylon stringed guitars - I'd have to think it would be great with a uke.

Dang, Ric, that's a ton of amps.

I find that the AC60 that Ric mentions works well for ukulele. MGM uses one too is most of his videos. And MGM has a TON of ukuleles, so it probably is a good unit that works for him. Personally, I think that it's a very versitile unit that can be used as a mini PA too with 2 channels. Relatively lightweight, portable, and with Roland reliability. But if the AC33 has the same anti-feedback feature, AND a Looper, AND runs on 8x AAs, AND has 2 channels, that amp sounds like a dream.

I have an AC33 and I love it. Before buying I brought my Kamaka into the store to try out the different acoustic amps they had. The Bose systems sounded the best but I wasn't prepared to drop $1000. The AC90 and AC60 sounded great, but again, were a little more than I wanted to spend. So, I ended up trying the AC33, Fender Acoustisonic 30, and some Ibanez Troubadours. I thought the AC33 sounded the best with the Acoustisonic a close second. The Troubadours fell far behind.

Just to chime in.....you won't regret it. I tried the Cube Street and it just didn't cut it. The AC33 is a sweet little amp with just enough power to be dangerous ;)

Marshall AS50R soloist - you wont find a much better gigging amp - 2 channels - one for instrument, one for microphone

Marshall AS50R soloist - you wont find a much better gigging amp - 2 channels - one for instrument, one for microphone

The Marshall and others listed here are nice amps for acoustical and vocal instrumentation. The Roland AC-33 is only 10 pound. It has a small footprint so you can pack it in your luggage when you're travelling abroad. It can run entirely on batteries, so you can perform in places where there's no AC power available. It has 3 channels - one for instrument, one for microphone and one for an MP3/CD player. All 3 channels have their own controls. I own other acoustic amps, but the setup and teardown time with the Roland AC-33 are quick and easy. You can also use it as a stege monitor and plug the line out into the mains of a house P.A. system. What this does for you is it allows you to be completely in charge of the sound of your instrument and vocals. Ric

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2010-roland-introduces-ac-33-acoustic-amplifier-232239

NAMM 2010: Roland introduces AC-33 acoustic amplifier
First AA battery-powered portable stereo amp

Press Release, Thu 14 Jan 2010, 3:26 pm GMT

Roland AC-33 acoustic guitar amplifier

View in gallery
PRESS RELEASE: The popular Roland AC acoustic amps gain a new member with the arrival of the AC-33 Acoustic Chorus Guitar Amplifier. Designed for both high-quality sound and supreme portability, the AC-33 is the world's first AA battery-powered amp designed specifically for the acoustic guitar.

It features instrument, XLR microphone, and AUX inputs, along with built-in digital effects, an anti-feedback function, an onboard looper and an integrated tilt stand for enhanced sound projection.

With the ability to run on eight AA batteries (including NiMH rechargeable types) or AC power, the AC-33 is the perfect amplifier for acoustic performers on the go. The high-efficiency 30-watt stereo amp and dual 5" speakers provide excellent sound coverage for any intimate performance, including restaurants, coffee houses, open mic nights, street busking and more.

The multiple audio inputs allow the AC-33 to function as a portable PA, amplifying a guitar, vocal, and backing track from a music player all at the same time.

The AC-33 comes equipped with Roland's famous stereo chorus effect, as well as easy-to-use reverb and ambience effects. For worry-free playing in high-volume situations, the unique anti-feedback function automatically detects acoustic instrument feedback and eliminates it before it starts.

The onboard looper allows users to record and play back up to 40 seconds of on-the-fly musical backing, with the ability to capture unlimited "sound on sound" style overdubs. The looper and effects can be controlled with optional foot switches.

The AC-33 is scheduled to ship in January.

The Roland AC-33 showed up today, i am thrilled thanks so much for the advice. I also ordered a Arriba AC-130 case
41Rnc3LMZ6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
seems about as close as I can find to being the right case for the amp. 13"X13 X9.5, fits great side to side and top to bottom, there is about 3.5 inches of space front too back, the case comes with a padded divider, those extra inches hold the power supply, folding stand and Uke strap, there is also a front pocket for my cords. It is padded all around, no shoulder strap but I guess you could have one added if you want. Until there is something better this case seems pretty good for the amp.
51DqAaIlnFL._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
AC-33's go for about $400 bucks USD, in the United States.

Enjoy your new AC-33, LandShark and keep us up to date on your impressions of this phenominal amp. Also, thanks for the advice on the Arriba AC-130 case. Ric

I have an AC33 and I love it. Before buying I brought my Kamaka into the store to try out the different acoustic amps they had. The Bose systems sounded the best but I wasn't prepared to drop $1000. The AC90 and AC60 sounded great, but again, were a little more than I wanted to spend. So, I ended up trying the AC33, Fender Acoustisonic 30, and some Ibanez Troubadours. I thought the AC33 sounded the best with the Acoustisonic a close second. The Troubadours fell far behind.

Nuprin, I'm so glad I found this post of yours. By any chance do you remember what the acoustic differences were between the AC33 and the Acoustisonic? I've heard the Fender but not the Roland, and would like to get some thoughts from someone who's heard both. Thanks!

Top Bottom