Martin Tenor Bracing pattern

Timbuck

Reaction score
I always thought Martin Tenor uke's were "Fan braced"..but this pic of an old disscombooberated Martin tenor..shows diffrent.
(disscombooberated= term used by Yogi Bear)
martintenorbracing.jpg

About how thick are the 3 braces across the width? That is quite a bridge plate. What is the red think just south of the sound hole?

You're asking questions i cannot answer, but I guess the red thing may be a swab of sponge with hot water to remove or soften hide glue????..Your Guess is as good as mine...and I question the area where the Dovetail joint meets the soundboard???..on Martin soprano's the dovetail penetrates the top..but on this one it don't??

Wow, surprising you could get any sound out of that at all. I wonder what era it's from.

BTW, Martin Guitar just purchased 5,000 koa ukulele sets from a guy I know.

****EDIT*****
I've been informed that Martin Guitar did NOT recently buy 5,000 koa ukulele sets. My apologies.

Last edited:
Wow, surprising you could get any sound out of that at all. I wonder what era it's from.

BTW, Martin Guitar just purchased 5,000 koa ukulele sets from a guy I know. I guess they're hoping that the ukulele will save their butts again like it did in the 1940s. I have no word where production will be.

Would that be the person who sells under the name Mighty Fine Wood on Ebay......or at least a friend of his that he might be helping? I noticed that he has been absent from Ebay for a while and I remembering him saying that he was going to be helping a friend sell to a major instrument maker.

Would that be the person who sells under the name Mighty Fine Wood on Ebay......or at least a friend of his that he might be helping? I noticed that he has been absent from Ebay for a while and I remembering him saying that he was going to be helping a friend sell to a major instrument maker.

He's still on eBay. Here's his latest listing. He offers beautiful wood, which tends to go for a high price.

I don't know what the bracing pattern looked like, but Martin 1-T tenor ukuleles were designed for dGBE tuning (like a baritone with a high 4th string) and they are braced pretty heavily to accomodate the heavier strings. This is why Martin tenors are fairly quiet and mellow compared to their smaller sized ones.

- Steve

BTW, Martin Guitar just purchased 5,000 koa ukulele sets from a guy I know. I guess they're hoping that the ukulele will save their butts again like it did in the 1940s. I have no word where production will be.

Martin still makes 3K and 5K ukes (or I should say "is making them again"), in Nazareth PA rather than Mexico where the S-Os are made. Or so I am led to believe.

You're asking questions i cannot answer, but I guess the red thing may be a swab of sponge with hot water to remove or soften hide glue????..Your Guess is as good as mine...and I question the area where the Dovetail joint meets the soundboard???..on Martin soprano's the dovetail penetrates the top..but on this one it don't??

Sorry. From your comment I thought you had the actual top.

5000 sets of Koa. I am trying to wrap my head around that....

You're asking questions i cannot answer, but I guess the red thing may be a swab of sponge with hot water to remove or soften hide glue????..Your Guess is as good as mine...

Cool, a built in humidifier. Use a watering can with an upward spout to add water to the sponge.

I don't know what the bracing pattern looked like, but Martin 1-T tenor ukuleles were designed for dGBE tuning (like a baritone with a high 4th string) and they are braced pretty heavily to accomodate the heavier strings. This is why Martin tenors are fairly quiet and mellow compared to their smaller sized ones.

- Steve

Steve, thanks so much for this info, this inspired me to check out Martin tenors and eventually I bought one.

Top Bottom