Beginner frustration - with hardware!

Laouik

Reaction score
Helloooo.

This is more of a rant than anything.

So three weeks ago I went ahead with my decision to start learning an instrument - the uke (used to play the drums a lo about 15 years ago). I went to a guitar store near where I live that professed to have some ukes. I selected what was, in their selection, a lower mid-range one (Mahalo UK-LTD2 Soprano). Had lots of fun over the next week getting a handful of chords down, explore tabs, Youtube lessons. Even took it surreptitiously in my car so I could practice at lunch (!!!).

The more I played and read, I realized that perhaps I would do myself a favour and get something a tad better (and did have its insides covered in gobs of glue). Part of this was going to the Toronto Uke night at the Dominion pub, and I could hardly hear my uke around other Sopranos. Plus it sounded rather tinny. So yesterday I splurged and went to another store and, after playing around for a couple of hours, acquired a Kala solid mahogany (KA-SMHC). The intent was to then sell the Mahola on Craigslist or Kijiji to lessen the hit I took.

I got home and... and a fret buzz. Ok, I'm being sloppy. Again (C string, 2nd, 3rd and 4th frets). Hrm. Let's try other frets and strings... no buzz. Ok, I'll be really careful and... what the. Google! Let's see... I... oh. !*@#. I'll be returning it tomorrow after work... hopefully it'll be a smooth process. I'll stick with my Mahalo until I can justify getting a right "proper" upgrade.

I have a similar problem with my Martin SO uke. The c string intonation is completely off. I thought the strings were old and that that was the problem. Yeah, it wasn't. I never even sent the warranty in. Now I have to do that and hope it can be fixed somehow for free.

The Kala solid mahogany ukes I've played have all been great playing, very nice sounding instruments. It sounds to me that yours just was not properly set up by the seller. See if they have another of the same model or if their luthier can set it up for you, there should be no charge since it should have been done for you anyway.

You should return that Kala then check out Musicguymic on ebay. He is a member here at UU and sells tons of Kala ukes. He will set up the uke (no buzz problems) put on aquila strings and shine it all up. You will be a happy uker!! MGM is located in Hawaii as well.

You should return that Kala then check out Musicguymic on ebay. He is a member here at UU and sells tons of Kala ukes. He will set up the uke (no buzz problems) put on aquila strings and shine it all up. You will be a happy uker!! MGM is located in Hawaii as well.

Second that one. Yeah, you don't get to actually see it first, but you'll know it's been played and tested when ordering from MGM.

And yes, I know this bit of advice doesn't help your current situation.

MGM is a great guy for uke stuff. Check out his youtube videos.

I bought 2 cheap Makala's from MGM and a solid wood Kala soprano. The frets were great on on of them. The fret file touch up he does really helps. Sam Ash sold the same Uke locally and was a bit more money (Makalas) but I opted to go with MGM and was happy I did. Both Makalas were gifts to friends so having them play well was important. Don't need the grief ;-)

Top Bottom