All Mahogany vs Mahogany/Cedar Differences?

Ukulele Dave

Reaction score
I simply cannot make a decision. Let me start off by saying what I do know.

While tonewoods do influence the sound it boils down to the luthier - understood.

I understand that no two builds are alike. So we are speaking theoretically here if two exact identical builds existed, one all mahogany, one mahogany back/sides with a western red cedar top.

I'm aware that while a mahogany top can be pushed/strummed harder and pump out more volume, a red cedar top is characteristic of having a definite threshold that once you hit that's it.

So besides what I have already stated here, I'm interested in your experienced opinion what else are the tonal differences between all mahogany vs mahogany back/sides with a western red cedar top.

Much appreciated

Last edited:
Yes trying to compare tonal differences of kalas kiwayas ohanas and martins based on wood is like trying to beat a dead horse, I understand that. I chose to ask this in the Luthier lounge as high quality solid wood hand custom built ukuleles are a whole different ball game then mass produced brands. Also this is why I mentioned we are speaking theoretically here - in the event of two IDENTICAL custom luthier built ukuleles. Overtime a custom luthier will come to know his woods, and will be able to hear differences in how those woods affect his builds. Like the example I gave earlier in "theoretic identical builds" - cedar tops being a softer wood have a definite lower volume threshold whereas the mahogany top will pump out more. I would love to hear from those more experienced with the all Mahogany vs Mahogany/WRCedar top tonal charecteristics.

Mahalo

Last edited:
I've built the exact instruments you are talking about as a way to understand the differences. Have done it with many wood combos on guitars and ukuleles to hear the difference if any as well.

My experience is that the cedar has a sweeter, fuller tone with more harmonic overtones and complexities than the all mahogany instrument did. The all mahogany had more fundamentals and less volume when played with the same light touch but little difference could be heard at a more energetic strum. I suspect that might change once it opened up with time and playing in.

Each was nice, and would appeal to different people. In fact they both sold the same weekend with both customers trying out each instrument and falling in love with their respective choice.

I've built the exact instruments you are talking about as a way to understand the differences. Have done it with many wood combos on guitars and ukuleles to hear the difference if any as well.

My experience is that the cedar has a sweeter, fuller tone with more harmonic overtones and complexities than the all mahogany instrument did. The all mahogany had more fundamentals and less volume when played with the same light touch but little difference could be heard at a more energetic strum. I suspect that might change once it opened up with time and playing in.

Each was nice, and would appeal to different people. In fact they both sold the same weekend with both customers trying out each instrument and falling in love with their respective choice.

That's what I'm talking about. That is awesome Allen, thanks for sharing. Others feel free to do the same

Last edited:
Top Bottom