metronome or online metronome - recommendations

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I am self taught in music and this strumming business has me thinking I need to work on my rhythm.

I went shopping for metronomes. I have a digital metronome but it doesn't make sounds of notes and give sample syncopations.

The metonomes I saw were in the $100 range and again. NO samples. No relation to notes / rhythm. I can buy cheaper but only maybe to $50 but I think I'd need to get the big one if I needed it. So, I'm thinking second hand or garage sale find.

So.. I have books and CDs. Damned I am lazy.

then I did the google search and was mesmerized here. Its just 2/4 time but I am mesmerized.

http://www.teoria.com/tutorials/reading/07-8-16.htm

I think I could spend $20/year for this.

Are there better or funner options on the web? What is your experience.

Aren't the last 3 examples on that page in 4/4?
Anyway, I never had a metronome, having owned a cheap old Boss DR550 drum machine for ages.
You can find them cheap on ebay etc.
Maybe it's worth your while picking one up if you want that level of programmability.
It would certainly outperform any "metronome" you could find at the price.

Check the Miscellaneous section of the Ukulele Resources thread. I'm not sure if that application has those features you mentioned.

I have a clockwork metronome which I love to bits.

Not sure what you mean "makes sounds of notes". Mine ticks and rings on the start of new bar.

If you have iPhone - there are lots of good apps with Metronomes in them

Aren't the last 3 examples on that page in 4/4?
Anyway, I never had a metronome, having owned a cheap old Boss DR550 drum machine for ages.
You can find them cheap on ebay etc.
Maybe it's worth your while picking one up if you want that level of programmability.
It would certainly outperform any "metronome" you could find at the price.

I am glad you asked that first question because I had a question on a few of those 2/4 examples. It didn't seem like the beats added up to the 2 beats and I was wondering if there were phantom rests I couldn't see.

I actually find a decent amount of errata in books, websites, etc (even my own posts!); but I just keep moving on not letting those inconsitencies hamper me.

Thanks for the recomendation on the drum machine. I'll take a look.

Check the Miscellaneous section of the Ukulele Resources thread. I'm not sure if that application has those features you mentioned.

This IS a fantastic resource. SO fantastic that I get lost. Like my last search, I spent 20 minutes playing ukulele hero. Its why I do searches first to be specific, then I will leave a question and sometimes people have different opinions or better solutions.

On my off days, like Saturday and Sunday, I like to spend some time exploring those sites. Thanks for organizing that.

I have a clockwork metronome which I love to bits.

Not sure what you mean "makes sounds of notes". Mine ticks and rings on the start of new bar.

If you have iPhone - there are lots of good apps with Metronomes in them

Hi Paul, I see you describe the Fluke Flea in Poiple as a cracker. I orderd fleas for my sister and neice in poiple and pink because I love my Fluke - its easy and I want them to learn too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the metronome assumes you can read music and know how to place the rhythm of the notes onto the tempo and the measure size. Or having a metronome likely assumes you have a good instructor correcting the mistakes of your rhythm.

After finding that link above, I saw it as a potential site that marries my needs. 1) improves my reading of the notes, 2) gives me the correct rhtym of the notes so I can emulate them, 3) loops it for continuous practice. The only thing I see missing is it does not change the tempo which would be the function of the metronome. The metronome also is more a good practice for live performance.

If somebody knew of an all encompassing site for what I want above, then that is what I'm looking for.

Thanks Army. I marked that link. That site saves me the $100.

Now if I could just find a metronome that can play swings, boogie woogies, triplets, rests and all that without the math.

To be honest, I tend to play with other people so we keep time together. If I may say so, I have always considered the uke to be a looser instrument to get to bogged down with setting perfect time signatures - just lay back on the couch and have fun (its what I do)

Top Bottom