PDA

View Full Version : Does music make you nicer?

Keef
09-20-2010, 07:59 AM
I have Really never made music a part of my life before and now I find my self happyer than before I figure you can't make music and be angry at the same time
what do you think?

byjimini
09-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Hmm, not sure; I've met some really grumpy buggers that also make music.

fitncrafty
09-20-2010, 08:05 AM
I do believe it does, at least for me and my kids especially my youngest.. if he is losing it, put on some music or ask him to make some. The scenery improves quickly...

mailman
09-20-2010, 08:09 AM
I have Really never made music a part of my life before and now I find my self happyer than before I figure you can't make music and be angry at the same time
what do you think?

No. Music may make me happy, but it's not what makes me nice. Ever seen the videos of the death metal groups? They're making "music", but they sure aren't nice....

Keef
09-20-2010, 08:42 AM
its funny late last night I learned how to play "iron Man" after listing to a guitar how to video
I found it interesting how the first two notes are bent using open strings by pressing on the string between the nut and the tuner
anyways it just dosent have that evil distorted sound on a acoustic uke :)
but it did make me laugh :)

mm stan
09-20-2010, 08:46 AM
what do you think?

Aloha Keef,
For me personally, it does make me happier and when I'm sad or angry as it distracts me and put me in a better mood. I guess it's a natural anti depressant....I guess anything you love will do
that...at least most things....
as for angry moody people...some are harder to distract...good luck to them!!!!
MM Stan...

Skitzic
09-20-2010, 08:51 AM
It's the uke. Ukulele music makes people smile.

bazmaz
09-20-2010, 09:02 AM
I believe so - I have made loads of friends through music, and when we jam together it is usually an evening of big smiles and laughs.

I think there is one exception to the rule though - Van Morrisson

cletus
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I think there is one exception to the rule though - Van Morrisson

It's funny because it's true.

SuzukHammer
09-20-2010, 10:08 AM
For whatever reasons, it seemed I couldn't learn music before and always wanted to.

Basically, by learning music and PLAYING it, its like that whole regret thing disappeared.

I do find that if I spend too much time indoors playing music, then it can be frustrating. I still need to get outdoors and go for walks and swims.

Ahnko Honu
09-20-2010, 02:00 PM
Certain music makes Curly go nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9hO4CS57KM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVdw6u6LHtI

UkÚDan
09-20-2010, 03:02 PM
I do find that if I spend too much time indoors playing music, then it can be frustrating. I still need to get outdoors and go for walks and swims.

Go outdoors with your uke. Walk with it. Play it outdoors bBut don't swim with it (unless it's a plastic uke) ;-))))

LoMa
09-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Happier? Better?

I think it depends on whether you're having fun playing and practicing and figuring it out.

Frustration though doesn;t make for a happier person, in my opine...

Keef
09-20-2010, 03:58 PM
I have moments where I get it while practicing and that brings me temporary joy but most of the time I just don't get it but I still have the tune in my head even though I can't play it and that makes me happy :)

TCK
09-20-2010, 04:12 PM
If I am not making or listening to music, I am grumpy...when I am back where I want to be, I am happy- perhaps you are on to something here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZYFXUg4aLc
Pretty sure it is the Uke though.

SuzukHammer
09-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Go outdoors with your uke. Walk with it. Play it outdoors bBut don't swim with it (unless it's a plastic uke) ;-))))

I actually do take it on walks and during taxi trips/running errands. Its a blast.

clayton56
09-20-2010, 11:30 PM
Well, making music in a group situation can bring out the perfectionist/control freak in me. Which is not all that nice. But in general I would say I stay centered because of music, so that contributes to niceness or at least a reduced level of crabbiness.

mm stan
09-21-2010, 12:06 AM
what do you think?

Aloha Keef,
Here's a Happy song...check it out!!! I believe in music...by Mac Davis, and sung by Helen Reddy..
Http://www.asklyrics.com/display/mac-davis/i-believe-in-music-lyrics.htm
MM Stan..

Tudorp
09-21-2010, 05:01 AM
I would guess it would depend. You might have to be a nice person to begin with. I mean, don't get me wrong, because I like some of Guns and Roses stuff, but music didn't do allot for Axel's attitude. That guy is just a plain angry butthead.. lol

pulelehua
09-21-2010, 05:33 AM
I don't believe for a second that the most hard-core death metaller, in the middle of some angry E minor riff from the depths of hell is, deep down, thinking anything other than, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

UkuleleHill
09-21-2010, 06:23 AM
I don't believe for a second that the most hard-core death metaller, in the middle of some angry E minor riff from the depths of hell is, deep down, thinking anything other than, "Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

I have to agree... I have a friend that is in a band that some would call "Screeming Rock". He is the singer, and one of the nicest people I know. I think its the fact that music for him is a way to get rid of all his anger.

ukecantdothat
09-21-2010, 11:24 AM
I have to agree... I have a friend that is in a band that some would call "Screeming Rock". He is the singer, and one of the nicest people I know. I think its the fact that music for him is a way to get rid of all his anger.

Interesting question. I was going to suggest that it would depend on the music (or instrument), but I suppose even the darkest music can chase the demons away for some musicians. Didn't work for Kurt Cobain, though... Some wounds are just too deep.

itsme
09-21-2010, 03:24 PM
I would guess it would depend. You might have to be a nice person to begin with. I mean, don't get me wrong, because I like some of Guns and Roses stuff, but music didn't do allot for Axel's attitude. That guy is just a plain angry butthead.. lol
Good to see you, Tudorp! Hope things are going well.

I wouldn't say music makes you nicer, either, although I'll admit to listening to mostly classical CDs in my car because (A) I can't stand radio commercials and obnoxious DJs or waiting to hear something I'll like, and (B) aggressive music makes me a more aggressive driver. I mean, it's hard to fall into road rage when you're listening to Bach or something else that soothes and calms you. When someone cuts me off, I can just say to myself, "Oh, well, they're just an idiot and I'm not going to retaliate."

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-21-2010, 03:39 PM
CAN GO EITHER WAY.. if you listen to music to feel sorry for yourself and heavy metal makes you nuts. Then no, gives you something to thrive off. Music calms me down, relaxes me etc.... Keeps part of the brain active, strangely enough, enhances your hand/eye coordination. Unlike video games ;)