Sorry... another what should I buy post

roxhum

Reaction score
Like I said in the title, sorry in advance for yet another...

I bought my 30+ son a ukulele for Christmas. A tenor was not in my budget, I thought he would like the size of the fret board better. I got him an entry level concert instead. Today I saw a entry level baritone at the music store in my budget. I could return the concert, loosing the cost of shipping. So what are your thoughts of giving a baritone uke to a guitar player as their introduction to ukuleles versus sticking with the concert size that I already have for him.

Thanks.

Rox

Last edited:
I suggest you keep the concert uke, and don't trade it for a baritone, because you or your son will want it eventually...

A baritone ukulele is nice, but if he really wants to play uke and wants a uke sound, the concert uke will be wonderful. Fingering shouldn't be a problem with the concert uke.

JOGO... just one guy's opinion...

If it was me, I would want the concert.

A baritone is kinda a uke but not a uke (in that uke feeling osrt of way) and kindof a guitar but not a guitar (in a where are the other 2 strings? kind of way).

A concert is CLEARLY a ukulele.

Concert. 1) It is the dead middle size for traditonal ukuleles - starting in the middle makes it easy for you to decided where to take it from there. I wish I started in the middle, I would have saved a lot of $$ and still been playing concerts in the end. 2) It is still easy enough for a guitar player to transfer to. GCEA is merely a guitar's bottom four strings with a capo on the 5th fret, and your son can decided wether he wants to stick with the Linear low G string or turn full on uke nut with a high G string.

Yup I'd stick with the concert too, as it is closer to the traditional uke sound..Baritones sound more closer to
a guitar..I think he'll be happier with the concert....Good Luck!! MM Stan...

I will continue the trend.....keep the concert, save up for a tenor. That baritone is a uke but close to a guitar in sound.

My vote would be to definitely keep the concert. Later down the road he might decide to go with a baritone. I feel like if I was to ever have a baritone I would want to have it in addition to a soprano, concert, or tenor uke and not a replacement.

My vote would be to definitely keep the concert. Later down the road he might decide to go with a baritone. I feel like if I was to ever have a baritone I would want to have it in addition to a soprano, concert, or tenor uke and not a replacement.
I agree 100%. :agree:

Well there you have it 100% in favor of the concert. Thank you all so much helping me make that decision.
Rox

Top Bottom