PDA

View Full Version : My first Mya-Moe

unknownukemaster1
09-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Being a born-again ukulele player after years of guitar, I did what most folks do coming or returning to ukulele from guitar and ordered a baritone sized ukulele from Mya-Moe ukuleles USA. I did my due diligence where possible, where there was a make/model available at local music stores, I played them. Nothing satisfied my tonal dreams or asperations so online hunting I went. Where most manufacturers websites had great pics and all, not many had soundclips to sample. The ones that did were very limited. This was true save one...but I will get back to that...so I did discover the 2 most pop web dealers ; uke mike and uke friend. Their website were very good with a wide selection of vidclips as well as the largest selection of ukes ...I spoke to both and they were both very personable and helpful. Then I found The Mya-Moe website...The "mojo" of this website took me in....this website had the most vidclips of amatures,novices, and pros actually playing/performing with the variety of instruments they make. Then the customer service/relations with Char and Gordon...they make you feel important and like what you want matters...However Gordon and Char were very kind in guiding me towards great tone in an instrument using my expections versus their experience with tonewood combinations. So I ordered a Baritone body with resonator cone ( the cone availble from national ) in a quilted Maple body with a curly Port Orford Cedar top. The added value to the Mya-Moe custom ukulele experience is the work in progress update pics of your instrument posted to twitter. Considering these are custom made instruments in less than three months and priced at parity or below many premium factory instruments...It is not surprising that at this time the Mya-Folks are so busy filling commissions. So I recieved my Baritone Resonator Ukulele. This baby was a looker.You can see the Baritone on the website under gallery. To the tone. This instrument has a dynamic voice. It can be played soft or hard with equal clarity. Intonation is spot on up/down the neck. The neck playablity is like silk with an action that won't give you gripmania..smooth as jazz, yet because it is a resonator it will reed out a bluesy voice... most of all this resonator baritone is loud...To my ears with my eyes blind folded...this instrument keeps you guessing as to its true linage...but there is just enough wood to make one guess a ukulele perhaps......

SuzukHammer
09-21-2010, 01:21 AM
I would mark that as a very positive review of the product and the supplier.

Its great to hear the excitement in that post. I'm gonna check the gallery although I had seen the gallery before and its a gallery I can't afford yet.

Lori
09-21-2010, 06:50 AM
I am about to order a Mya-Moe too! We were in a booth next to them at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival, and sat next to them for 2 days. Very nice people, with lots of performers coming by to jam with them. I got to play one of their resonator tenor ukes at a uke group in Los Angeles, and was very impressed with it. It is always hard for me to play something in a convention or festival setting and be able to settle down enough to focus on the sound (or even hear the sound properly due to extra noises). Gordon and Char were very good at asking questions that would help guide me to the proper choices, so I am excited about that. So, I think I will get a concert resonator, maybe in Myrtle, tuned to low G.

–Lori

mikeg0232
09-21-2010, 07:14 AM
I can't stop thinking about the Mya Moe mahogany tenor cutaway I was able to play at the WCUF. Fortunately, someone else bought it. I say that because I would most certainly have forked out money my wife would not agree to. (need to work on her a bit). I wish to own one someday.

Dougf
09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
I can't stop thinking about the Mya Moe mahogany tenor cutaway I was able to play at the WCUF. Fortunately, someone else bought it. I say that because I would most certainly have forked out money my wife would not agree to. (need to work on her a bit). I wish to own one someday.

I am extremely pleased with the Mya-Moe soprano that I picked up at the WCUF -- some of you may have seem the pics I posted. It is an absolute gem! And I am so fortunate to have a wife who, although she worries for my sanity, just said, "Babe, treat yourself!"

Landshark
09-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I love my Mya-Moe

SailingUke
09-21-2010, 10:38 AM
I love my Mya-Moe

The only thing I can add to Bob's comment is:
I REALLY LOVE my Mya-Moe.

Dougf
09-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Gordon just posted my latest video featuring my new Mya-Moe to their video page. I'm proud to be a part of it, although now I wish I had higher fidelity recoding equipment. Anyway, check it out:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/videoClips.html

Nuprin
09-21-2010, 01:55 PM
I put in my order on 9/14. Build date is 12/13, finish date is 1/11. I CANNOT WAIT! After hearing Aaron Keim's video I went with a NWAS myrtle Tradition Super Soprano. Went with the upgraded wood option too.

unknownukemaster1
09-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Ah yesss myrtle...I just had Myamoans build me a Tenor classic NWAS in supercurly...it is number 305...the 4th pic in the first part of their gallery....As you and I now know..."Theres no bettah uke mojo than a myrtle Mya-Moe." congrats on yr wise purchase.....A lifetime of pure joy....

Lori
09-24-2010, 05:59 AM
Ah yesss myrtle...I just had Myamoans build me a Tenor classic NWAS in supercurly...it is number 305...the 4th pic in the first part of their gallery....As you and I now know..."Theres no bettah uke mojo than a myrtle Mya-Moe." congrats on yr wise purchase.....A lifetime of pure joy....
305 is a very handsome uke. Congratulations! Is that an abalone rosette? Very nice. I can't quite make out the binding, but it looks really nice too. I can't wait to choose the wood grain. It will be nice to have something to look forward to for next February.

–Lori

Nuprin
09-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Beautiful uke! Very nice flamed myrtle. Hopefully with the upgrade wood option I'll have something as pretty!

unknownukemaster1
09-24-2010, 11:10 PM
Yes the rossett is abalone along with the edge purfling. The binding is koa to go with the NWAS theme...yet even the myamoan's binding wood is well figured and flamey when the light hits it...yes the ultra curly myrtle is flamey too...I must say however the real mojo in mya-moe ukes is the tone and action.....as for my babe she began to open up over the first month of playing.....what a balanced voice myrtle has and so crisp with just the right overtones to lullaby by...there have been times in the late afternoon while laying on the sofa i have played away to a nap....what I want to convey is as far as this us uke maker is concerned tone and smooth action is the rule..it just so happens to be packaged in eye popping wood sets..These ukuleles are not just lookers; they are professional instruments that will be cherished over the years.

unknownukemaster1
09-24-2010, 11:23 PM
please see my responce to your post below.....I am a little new or a novice at this forum thing...ps the binding is koa...you are correct the rosett is abalone.... the myamoans use abalone exclusively..

dtikim1
10-03-2010, 05:56 PM
what finish did you get? the gloss or the hand rubbed? I have an all myrtle tenor that will he completed sometime in januaru 2011. Can't wait.

icuker
10-09-2010, 10:19 PM
A lady in our Uke club bought a Mya Moe recently and has let me borrow it for a couple of days. I can say I am impressed. Stunning wood (Chocolate Heart Mango - pic is in the April 2010 section on their website). Great sound. The thing I was most impressed with is the playablity and action. This one has a radiused fretboard, nice low action but if you drive it hard there isn't any buzz. Chords that normally are awkward for me to play cleanly and quickly on my flat fretboard ukes plays easily on this thing. The neck is perfect, as well, wide but a thin profile. Between this and the radius profile this thing begs to be played up the neck as a result.

I'll admit, when I've seen pictures of the uke's headstock online, I didn't think I liked the design, but in person it actually looks very nice. The only bummer is I'm going to have to give it back at today's Uke meeting...I've really bonded with it!

Hippie Dribble
10-10-2010, 06:21 PM
I've just bought a mango tenor resonator...it's in the post as I write this...can't wait :drool:

ichadwick
10-19-2010, 01:34 AM
A couple of uke players from Southern Ontario joined us for dinner earlier this month and brought a pair of Mya-Moe ukes they had purchased at a uke festival in Nova Scotia. Both soild koa. Very impressive instruments: extremely well made, great sound.

ADD
10-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I've just bought a mango tenor resonator...it's in the post as I write this...can't wait :drool:

You did? Gotta post as soon as you get it. Sound too.

guitharsis
10-19-2010, 11:30 PM
Tested out a Mya-Moe at the NC Ukulele Academy earlier this year. Wasn't familiar with the name at that time but was really impressed with it! Good choice!

ichadwick
10-29-2010, 03:54 AM
Had a chance to play TWO Mya-Moe ukes recently when a friend brought them over for me to drool on. Two he and his wife picked up at a uke festival in Nova Scotia, A great evening we had of uke talk and playing, the Mya-Moes getting most of the attention.

A couple of hours after they were gone, we were in bed, quietly reading when Susan turned to me and said, right out of the blue, "Don't even think about it."

Sigh. She knows how I think all too well.

The_Oddness_of_It_All
11-04-2010, 05:24 AM
I've always wanted to play a Mya moe. I've heard great things about them!

Nuprin
11-04-2010, 06:15 AM
The wait for my Mya Moe is frustrating...and it's emptying my bank account.

I first asked for a super soprano tradition with the upgraded wood and upgraded case option. I paid it off.

Then, a few weeks later I decided that I play tenors much more than any other size so it would be smarter to get a tenor. So, I contacted Gordan & Char and asked to change it to a tenor tradition with the upgraded wood and upgraded case. I paid that off.

Next, I realized that a classic wasn't that much more expensive (as the upgraded wood and upgraded case are included free with the classic...also get free shipping with the classic instead of the $30 for the tradition). So, I just paid off the difference two days ago.

Last night I was browsing the gallery of their ukes and really liked the look of their cutaway...I don't currently have any ukes with a cutaway so I emailed them this morning asking to add that option. That will add another couple hundred.

The super soprano tradition would have totalled $805 (including shipping). By adding the cutaway I'm now at $1500. It has been a little over a month since I placed the order and I still have a little over a month until my build date starts. I don't foresee me adding any of the other options but my track record thus far is working against me! This process has also made me realize how damned indecisive I've been with this uke!

GX9901
11-04-2010, 06:37 AM
The wait for my Mya Moe is frustrating...and it's emptying my bank account.

I first asked for a super soprano tradition with the upgraded wood and upgraded case option. I paid it off.

Then, a few weeks later I decided that I play tenors much more than any other size so it would be smarter to get a tenor. So, I contacted Gordan & Char and asked to change it to a tenor tradition with the upgraded wood and upgraded case. I paid that off.

Next, I realized that a classic wasn't that much more expensive (as the upgraded wood and upgraded case are included free with the classic...also get free shipping with the classic instead of the $30 for the tradition). So, I just paid off the difference two days ago.

Last night I was browsing the gallery of their ukes and really liked the look of their cutaway...I don't currently have any ukes with a cutaway so I emailed them this morning asking to add that option. That will add another couple hundred.

The super soprano tradition would have totalled $805 (including shipping). By adding the cutaway I'm now at $1500. It has been a little over a month since I placed the order and I still have a little over a month until my build date starts. I don't foresee me adding any of the other options but my track record thus far is working against me! This process has also made me realize how damned indecisive I've been with this uke!

Hey, how about adding the slotted headstock??? ;)

I've been checking out Mya-Moe a lot of late and am considering one too. Their build process intrigues me and I've wanted a Myrtle ukulele for a while now. I guess I'll see if it's in the cards down the line.

Nuprin
11-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Hey, how about adding the slotted headstock??? ;)

I've been checking out Mya-Moe a lot of late and am considering one too. Their build process intrigues me and I've wanted a Myrtle ukulele for a while now. I guess I'll see if it's in the cards down the line.

I'm usually a huge fan of slotted headstocks but for some reason, I don't love Mya Moe's. I like their regular headstock much more.

I have a NWAS myrtle on order...I was sold on it after hearing both Aaron Keim's video (which made me want the super soprano) and then Matt Dahlberg's video (which convinced me that I really should get a tenor). I play tenor more than any other size and it would be such a shame getting a Mya Moe and not playing it!

GX9901
11-04-2010, 07:28 AM
I'm usually a huge fan of slotted headstocks but for some reason, I don't love Mya Moe's. I like their regular headstock much more.

I have a NWAS myrtle on order...I was sold on it after hearing both Aaron Keim's video (which made me want the super soprano) and then Matt Dahlberg's video (which convinced me that I really should get a tenor). I play tenor more than any other size and it would be such a shame getting a Mya Moe and not playing it!

That is true about their slot head. I'm also a huge fan of slotted headstocks, but theirs don't do it for me either.

Have fun with your Mya Moe!

fumanshu
11-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Man...you guys drive me nuts with your Mya Moe...I've been looking over and over their wevsite for a while but just didn't pull the trigger yet...But sooo tempting about their lap reso uke!!!! hahahaha!!!!