Darn Fingernails

BBQUKER

Reaction score
Here I'm ready to go to the Milwaukee Ukulele Festival this Saturday and last night tore off right index fingernail. An hour later lost a second fingernail down to the bloody cuticle. Tried doing some uke pickin', but sure sounds different. Ugh! Hopefully the index finger will grow back enough by Saturday.

Ouch! I hope that you're still able to play and enjoy the festival!

Question: Do you need to keep fingernails trim for playing the ukulele? I always did for the Viola and wondered if it was the same for the Ukulele?

Aloha BBQuker,
Maybe you could get by with some fake nails...remember you need to keep your nails trimmed, if it's too long they break easier..
If your nails starts to chip next time, what I do is use some super glue and guaze and patch it and it dries in minuetes and you can shape it..
MM Stan...

I trim and file at least weekly. Its just that the side of the nail got caught on something and just ripped them off. Had the same issues when I played fingerstyle guitar. Guess I need to eat more shellfish.

Oh, at the festival Seeso, Dominater and Victoria Vox will be attending.

Not to worry. Those of us at the Fest will not laugh at your short nail.

Hope to meet you there.

I know the feeling. Supposedly, Vitamin E helps your nails become stronger. When I was a kid, my parents made me take vitamin supplements, including Vitamin E, and I just remember having strong nails. Stronger than I have now anyways. As mitchchang said, I probably need to make a better habit out of filing my nails too on a daily basis.

I trim and file at least weekly. Its just that the side of the nail got caught on something and just ripped them off. Had the same issues when I played fingerstyle guitar. Guess I need to eat more shellfish.

Oh, at the festival Seeso, Dominater and Victoria Vox will be attending.

For me if I Have to play and notice that my nail has a crack or is chipping, I will make a temporary fix with super glue and a thin piece of cotton material..(old sheets)
sorta of idea like a surfboard making using resin and fiberglass and align the crack and apply a drop of super glue to the damaged area and
apply the piece of cotton material and it should harden almost immediately when it touches the glue(a minuete) wait a few more and it's hardens.
Add a few drops of super glue again and let dry(few minuetes) and file and shape...all together less than 15 min. It'll last for about a week or
two depending how much hot water you get on it...then fall off.... just a temporary fix..

That's what the flamenco guitarists used to do back in the day (maybe still do) - kleenex and crazy glue. Same thing, basically, as a "silk wrap" you get at those nail salons but I don't do that anymore. Really weakens your real nails

Top Bottom