Making a Batch of Soprano necks

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've just started making a batch of 16 one piece Soprano necks..(and just for fun) I have decided to share a detailed slideshow showing all the operations I go through from start to end.

Just to wet your appetite here are the rough sawn blanks so far....they should all be completed in a few days time....I Hope ..with slideshow soon to follow.;)
PICT7905.jpg

"Whatcha gon' do with those when yer done?" he asks, eyeing a couple of cigar boxes in his workshop.

Beautiful wood! Looking forward to the slideshow, thanks.

It was cool to see one of those completed necks from the fun build. They are perfect little necks. Looking forward to the slide show too.

Yikes....I'm amazed that you can use up 16 necks in a reasonable amout of time
Are you going to use your new CNC?

Yikes....I'm amazed that you can use up 16 necks in a reasonable amout of time
Are you going to use your new CNC?
My CNC Machine has been loaned out to my "Son Mike"..and he says I can't have it back :)..So i'll have to do without..Batches ?? ...It's the way I like to work... while a machine is set up for an operation, I say you might as well do several at once.. I make up a stack of parts all to the same sizes and drawing spec: (necks, heel and tail blocks. tops and backs, and ready bent sides, ready made bridges, fretboards already fretted, kerfed linings, braces and bridge plates & rosettes) .. put them into stock..and when I make a uke up, I just pick up the parts off the shelf and assemble them like a Kit Uke...And when I run out of any parts/components.. I just make some more. :D:D

Last edited:
Timbuck,

I was looking for the picture of the dimensions of your soprano but can not find it for the life of me. Would you mind re-posting it?

George

Hey Timbuck, I noticed that there are all sorts of grain orientations on those blanks. What are your thoughts on grain orientation of necks?

Brad

Hey Timbuck, I noticed that there are all sorts of grain orientations on those blanks. What are your thoughts on grain orientation of necks?

Brad
The actual grain is pretty straight...but there are these figured shaded patterns running all over the place (It should look good when finished)..I find that on small chunky necks like sopranos, beefed up with the rosewood/ebony fretboard..grain orientation is not much of a problem....But if it was a long slender guitar type neck then I would go for a reverse laminated job with stripe and trussrod.

What stock dimensions do you start from? Looks like heels are built up but the headstocks are not scarf jointed. Do you have a lot of waste as a result?

TWC

On this piece of Mahogany the dimensions are 50mm thick X 120 mm wide....but I want a headstock width of 62 mm and a heel depth of 50 mm..so if I split it down the centre I won't get that :mad: that's if I want a one piece neck.:confused:
So I did it another way :D..All will be revealed in the slide show...I don't do "built up heels" by the way ..and some of the waste wood gets turned into Neck and Tail blocks and Bridges, sort of stuff...then any spare bits of left overs go on the fire.:drool:

Last edited:
On this piece of Mahogany the dimensions are 50mm thick X 120 mm wide....but I want a headstock width of 62 mm and a heel depth of 50 mm..so if I split it down the centre I won't get that :mad: that's if I want a one piece neck.:confused:
So I did it another way :D..All will be revealed in the slide show...I don't do "built up heels" by the way ..and some of the waste wood gets turned into Neck and Tail blocks and Bridges, sort of stuff...then any spare bits of left overs go on the fire.:drool:

Ah.. A couple in the bottom row looked like they had built up heels. Must have just been pencil lines. Thanks
TWC

This slideshow is going to be bigger than I anticipated..so I will do it in two parts.
Here is part 1. Just click on the image to start

Last edited:
Top Bottom