Marunuci

Ron

Reaction score
Anyone know this brand? Can't find a thing about it. Is it even spelled right?

so photos above:
OK. So I bought it anyway. I've searched the whole interweb and can find two or three references to Marunuci - all guitars and all in NZ.
This is a baritone uke. As far as we can tell it's got at least a solid back on it and may be all solid. It's mahogany.
There was once a label inside but it's gone.
It's in pretty rough condition. flaking finish, tuners that won't hold, back that's seperated and is badly repaired, split headstock. BUT I THINK it might be a fairly good instrument. It SOUNDS good. Nice "woody" tone.
The headstock has been split and repaired.
I tried to photograph the back properly but I haven't posted shots of how, at some stage, the back has seperated and someone has very clumsily reglued it with what feels like hot glue.
Tuners are unusual. Haven't worked out how to remove them.
Neck is straight but maybe a little twisted.
The rosette seems to be laminated plastic and has shrunk or moved and is delaminating.
Join at the base is very slight;ly seperated but shouldn't need repair.
We think this must be 1950's or thereabouts. Who were Marunuci (it might be Marunigi)? Was it a consignment of ukes imported to NZ and branded locally. Was it a little factory in NZ that didn't last long? Was there a short lived japanese maker who only exported to New Zealand?
No one seems to know but I'm very excited to have my first vintage restoration project with a uke that SEEMS to be a pretty good uke. And I kinda ;like that it's so obscure.Marunuci delaminated rosette.jpgMarunuci straight neck.jpg

This Marunuc(g)i project is now an obsession.
In the guitar forums I found an old guitar posting on Green Bay auctions.
and a brief comment on another guitar forum. Both say "Japanese" both say "can't find any more info".
I've now joined about three guitar forums and posted the question.
I recently chatted to Ukule Hunt and despite their comprehensive list of makers and knowledge they had no info.
Anyone know of one of an online guitar person of similiar knowledge?

Top Bottom