Dadi steel strings?

[j]-Man

Reaction score
Hi, I keep seeing these on Ebay, DGBE steel ukulele strings by dadi, what are they meant for? Do I need a special uke or can I put them on a regular one? Baritone I presume...?

No, no, no!!!!

Steel strings are only meant for instruments constructed for them. Most ukes are not. The higher tension of steel strings can cause the neck to warp, the bridge to lift off, and the top to cave in.

I wonder if they would be better than using the 4 highest steel guitar strings on my Konablaster solid-body electric baritone? Obviously the solid body is an exception to the "bad idea" bit 'cause it is made for steel strings - needs 'em to work in fact.

That said, I wouldn't put steel strings on the Antoniotsai solid-body because it has a standard style bridge. It also uses an active under-saddle pick-up that I think is designed to work best with lower tension (nylon) strings. Strangely enough my little 15 inch Hawaii souvenir ukulele came with steel strings!

Last edited:
Message received--NO. :)

Figured as much, it was only a thought for a novelty thing anyway, I suppose I can get a cavaquinho if I really must have steel strings. Which I don't, so I'll just keep rockin those sweet nylon(/nylgut) strings. Speaking of which, I think I'll get off this forum and have a play right now...

Top Bottom