8 string uke string order

khal

Reaction score
I just got a Lanikai 8 string tenor. Love the uke, but I have a question:

The octave pairs have the high pitched string on top (closer to the top of the uke). I think that lutes and renaissance guitars have the lower pitched string on the top in an octave pair. Since I play that type of music I was thinking of switching the order.

Has anyone done this, and if so how did it sound?

Thanks,
Kim

I'm pretty sure you would have to adjust the nut. Those skinny strings aren't going to like the wider slots.

I think you will find that for strumming,the thinner string is
usually 'on top' as it makes it easier to hit when playing.For
picking it should not make any difference!

The Baroque guitar I made for a customer had the higher pitched string on top by his request. He sent me some diagrams from early Stradivarius instruments that had that string arrangement. He said it was that way so that it was easier to play the higher pitched string alone when fingerpicking.

Just my useless input.

Take care,
Thomas

Prior to ukulele I played guitar for forty eight years
and all of my 12 string guitars had the 'thinner' one
of the pair in the upper position!

Thanks for your responses!

I went ahead and switched the strings to try it out. I found that the bass was too dominating and it was hard to get the high string to ring with the low string in a pair. So I switched it back to the original order.

I did some research though, and the renaissance guitars and lutes that I saw on the web all had the lower string on top. It must require a special playing technique to get it to sound good.

Kim

Top Bottom