Help choosing a guitar

pakiboy949

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I wanna get into the guitar because I only play the uke at the moment. I'm going to save a little bit of money for an acoustic guitar, but I don't necessarily know what kinda guitar to get or where to get it, any tips? (I'm on a budget of about $100 - $140 max)

That's a tight budget. Since you're just starting out, you may want something that you can easily return in case you determine that you have a preference for either steel-string or nylon-string.

If you have a Costco membership, see if they still have either the Yamaha C45 (classical guitar, nylon string) or the Yamaha Eterna (dreadnought, steel string) in stock. The latter is $90 and the former is $140. Both have laminated tops but are very good beginners instruments. I have the Yamaha C45 and it's impressed four classical guitar teachers to-date who thought it was a $300+ guitar.

Costco.com has solid-topped guitars in your price-range from Suzuki and Columbia Crest. I don't have any experience with either of these but you'd be covered by Costco's generous return policy.

My biggest concern with any beginner's guitar is set-up and playability. Most nylon string guitars are easy on the fingers but are best suited for classical and fingerstyle. Steel-string guitars that are poorly set-up with high action (strings high above the fretboard) can be almost unplayable and even painful.

It'd probably help if you could tell us what kind of music you're interested in playing; and whether you see yourself as a primarily a strummer or a fingerpicker.

ah ic, i got my uke from costco.com :D

but as for the type of songs i'll be playing, i'll be playing a lot of songs really. The first songs I'm gonna learn are Bleach- Going Home, Edwin McCain - i'll be, GooGoo Dolls - won't tell your name, so it seems like mostly finger picking i believe?

Ha-ha! Another BIG bargain hunter! :D

Well, if you will be doing fingerstyle, then you probably want the strings wider near the bridge and the nut. Most dreadnoughts are 1.69" at the nut and the strings aren't widely spaced.

238662LL.jpg

You could take a chance on the Suzuki which is $100 and 1.72" at the nut. It's a solid top.

245414LL.jpg

You could also take a chance on the Columbia Crest which is $200 and comes with an amp/equalizer and case. The problem is that the specs don't tell me what the nut width is.

In either case, if you're not happy, just return it anytime for a full refund. Your first guitar almost always ends-up being your beater guitar in the long-run.

for your budget, check out your local pawn shop. sometimes you can find some good deals. if you want something new, hohner and yamaha makes good cheap guitars. my hohner HC06 was $120 and i think aldrines old yamaha(don't know that model number)was at least $100. both are classical.

i would go with a yamaha for ur fist because they are pretty cheap but they will last and sound good for a while.

my two cents

I would suggest craigslist.org I just saw somebody selling an epiphone accoustic with a case and strap for $120. You might score something sweet, who knows.

well turns out, one of my friends is bringing her guitar from the bay quite possibly and letting me use it until i can afford one :D

I pretty much have this topic saved in my bookmarks though, so when I can afford it i'll kno wwhat to get.

Top Bottom