strumming question/how to learn to play a song

annod

Reaction score
Hi all,

A newbie here. My question may seem really basic, but I can't seem to figure out:

When I try to learn to strum the chords for a song like this, how would I know how many times I strum for each chord?
http://www.ukemaker.com/images/DownByTheRiverside.jpg

For example, let's say this is 4/4. I don't know many beats/bars is the first G etc.

Help please?

Thanks a bunch.

-Donna

There's a lot to learning to play the uke to accompany oneself (or others) singing a song.

One thing that gets missed a lot is the timing, esp if there's a gap of silence (ie, no singing) while the beat keeps going.

If you are comfortable singing a song properly, that is to say -following every beat of every measure and not skipping any, then you should be able to figure out how long to hold/strum a chord before changing to the next one. some songbooks work that out for you in various ways, like having strum slashes to let you know how many times to strum a given chord.

Perhaps you could write out those slashes on your song sheet to assist you, or have someone else do it for you. I don't indicate how many times to strum between chords on my song sheets since I trust that those using them have the timing down for themselves.

Like I said, timing is something many of us take for granted. Also, some of us will strum 4 times (down) to a measure in a 4/4 song. While others may strum 8 times (up and down). Others will use a syncopated strum (uneven) so it may be difficult to write out what it's supposed to sound like.

The main thing is that according to the written standard notation, there are a certain number of beats in each measure and they should all be sounded or the song will sound truncated is beats are missed, or extended if extra strums are inserted.

I play by ear, so it's something I hear and I just go with that. I rarely play from standard notation, just from memory (what I remember the song sounding like).

I hope this helps somewhat, although I know I really haven't answered your question.

I feel your pain... but I encourage you to keep uke'in',

You might want to check out this link for that song:

http://www.ukemaker.com/images/DownByTheRiverside.mov

It is an audo version of the same song on the same website. It may help you out.

Just looking at the song sheet you've included it is not possible to tell how many beats in each verse/chorus. This Audio clip sent by Shrink9 is the key. you can hear the changes and count along. DAP

Another person that needs, or prefers the music notation. I get very frustrated not having the music and seeing where the measures begin and end. I have no advice for you, I am in infant stages myself, other than have fun. I know I am having a blast, frustrations and all.

Thanks for the reply. I did strum along with the video, and it was fun. But most chord sheets I can find, such as on ukulelehunt.com don't indicate how many beats per chord...

But I guess that's when youtube videos come in handy. At least I can see how others do it. Or I should find songbooks with strum slash.

I think eventually, it would be good to improvise. But I am kinda rhythm-challenged. I am amazed at how difficult it is to learn how to sing and strum at the same time. For now, my strategy is to learn the different "components", it is much easier with a video/audio+standard music notation of course.

My steps in learning a song for now:
1) learn to change chord at an reasonable speed
2) learn the song by heart (lyrics/ melody) and sing it with rhythm tapping (not worrying about left hand at all)
3) strum the chords (basic 4 down beats) and accompany the vocal in the video I am following
4) strum the chords and hum the song
5) finally, try to play the chords and sing at the same time, if any parts (right hand rhythm, left hand chord change, singing) seems not smooth, practice that part separately.
6)if all goes reasonably well, try a fancier strumming pattern. (still have yet to do it right)
Gees, it seems like a lot just to do something that seems easy to so many people. But like roxhum, i am having a blast anyway.

Last edited:
Aloha Donna,
It is always best to learn the basic foundation of uke playing,,,,and rhythm and timing falls in that area..
I believe you should start off with basic songs that you grew up with that you know the rhythm and timing to.
An example would be kiddie songs with easy chords, like twinkle twinkle little star, mary had a little lamb, row row your boat etc.
Just strum through the chords, and tap your feet to keep the beat, and strum to that rhythm and timing..
Keep practicing it over and over and soon and soon you'll be more comfortable and the rhythm and timing will fall
into place and come naturally..once you got there, you can try two or three easy chord songs..and so forth..
Remember, Practice, Patience and Perserverence will = ukulele success..Good Luck and Have Fun!!!"Keep strumming
them strings" MM Stan..
For nursery songs and chords, go to: Http://www.fretplay.com/tabs///m/misc_childrens/nursery_rhymes-crd.shtml
scroll down to the bottom..
Let us know now it works out for you....

Last edited:
Top Bottom