Classic guitar strings on a uke

Keef

Reaction score
I want to change the strings on my CBU and I read that Taimane Gardner uses classic guitar strings on her uke
Has anyone tryed this? Are any mods required? Do you just use the bottom 4 strings? Can you achieve a G C E A tuning?
I have an old guitar at home that I could steal the strings from but I figured I would ask first to head off any possible issues
thanks

Yes you can. No steel strings.
Savarez strings are classical guitar strings and I think the D'addaios are too. Just repackaged in uke format. Bottom 4 strings gives you low g. If you want re-entrant you'll need a second uke A, guitar E?, tuned to G. I think thejumpingflea gives some different specs on the strings he has used on his string review thread.

fumanshu uses classical strings on his ukes, I know. He is probably easier to PM than the ever-busy The Jumping Flea. As Rzr suggests, he buys individual strings to suit his ukulele needs. I think he goes re-entrant and low G on his different tenors, so would know the various combinations required.

D'Addario Pro Arte's are D'Addario classical strings repackaged for for uke. Mike Pereira (of MP Custom ukes) uses D'Addario T2 classical strings for the ukes he makes.

D'Addario Pro Arte J71 (tenor scale):
A: .029 hard tension
E: .033 hard tension
C: .041 hard tension
G: .029 extra hard tension

D'Addario Pro Arte J92 (concert scale):
A: .028 normal tension
E: .032 normal tension
C: .0403 normal tension
G: .0280 normal tension

D'Addario T2 singles (what MP uses):
A: .028 normal tension
E: .032 normal tension
C: .040 normal tension
G: .028 hard tension

Give it a try...you can buy individual strings from Juststrings.com and Stringsbymail.com

I have tried both the D'addario and Savarez, and I am a big fan of using classical guitar strings on my ukulele, particularly for picking purposes. Good luck to you and let us know what you think! :)

Top Bottom