12 string Ukulele......HELP lol

UkuleleRocks

Reaction score
ummm yeaaaa im new here i just got a 12 string ukulele 3 days ago and idk how to play it.:( So im wondering if anybody had tips for me:)*I have already been watching videos on this site but im finding it hard* by the way Ukuleles ROCK!! :music:lol they r my new number 1 fav*

ummm yeaaaa im new here i just got a 12 string ukulele 3 days ago and idk how to play it( So im wondering if anybody had tips for me)*I have already been watching videos on this site but im finding it hard* by the way Ukuleles ROCK!! lol they r my new number 1 fav*

12 string ukulele :eek: :confused: :bowdown: :cool:

Any pictures . . . how are the strings arranged?

That's a Bandurria and it has 14 strings. I guess we won't have any photos till the OP responds, till then . . .

it would take a day and a half to change those strings.

The Charangos in those vids have 10 strings and it may well be one. However, I think most of us are curious mainly because the mention of a 12 string ukulele. My $.02 . . .

My grandparents from the philippines gave me a 12 string uke too!
Does anyone know how to tune/play it? i have no idea how

I ended up making my own from a standard Mahalo soprano. [video]https://video-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hvideo-xpa1/v/t42.1790-2/11814782_10154253445916808_1456818900_n.mp4?efg=ey JybHIiOjgxMywicmxhIjoxMDA4fQ%3D%3D&rl=813&vabr=452&oh=f9f6b0bd86a708b5f48574576fdb329d&oe=55D4AADB[/video]

Post #3603 from back in June of 08, talk about goin back in time . . . he he he he

'Way up top here is a link to a thread with pictures of a 14-string bandurria. It looks very very much like the 12-string Virtuosa cuatro-menor I bought in Paracho, Mexico a few years ago on one of our drives back stateside from Guatemala. Size-wise, it is like a thick mandolin. (The car was too stuffed for anything bigger!)

I consider it an 'uke-like object. It has four triple courses steel-strung GGG-CCC-EEE-aaa like a low-G 'uke. I often tuned it GGG-CCC-EEE-ggg for slack-key playing. I currently string it GgG-cCc-EEE-ggg for a 12-string-guitar effect, often played bottleneck. One of these days I will have to shoot some video of it.

So, what is it like? Those triple courses of steel strings are quite easy on the fingers. The sound is shimmering, flowing, sweet. And yes, it is a bear to keep tuned. Intonation is also tricky; Virtuosa isn't the highest-quality of brands. Maybe that's why I bottleneck it, eh? Anyway, I now own 'uke-like objects with 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 strings. I plan to build a 3-string 'uke to fill out the list -- just CEA, who needs a low or high G string? Pesky bugger just gets in the way... ;) I think I'll skip 14- or 16-string 'ukes. But I *do* want a 10-string charango, yet another sorta 'uke-like object (ULO). And then a ronroco, a big charango. And then... I am doomed.

Top Bottom