PDA

View Full Version : Your default song

Fuzzy
09-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Sometimes when I'm doing something like watching TV, surfing on the computer, or even having a conversation, I'll pick up my uke and start absently strumming without really thinking about what I am playing. I usually find myself playing the same song or chord patterns every time, sort of like a default song that my mind just gravitates to when I'm not paying attention. Lately it's a riff using G, C7, and F, or else I start playing the original Tim Spencer version of "Cigareets and Whuskey and Wild, Wild Women" (G, C, A7, D7).

So what is your default song? What do you find yourself playing when you're not paying attention?

HornedOne
09-22-2010, 05:09 AM
either island in the sun or good riddance :P

UkuLeLesReggAe
09-22-2010, 05:10 AM
blue roses falling, something bob marley. generally waiting in vain. Also close to you.

molokinirum
09-22-2010, 05:18 AM
Margaritaville!!!!

donzamacleod
09-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Foo fighter Big me or Bush Glycerine

pulelehua
09-22-2010, 05:33 AM
By myself, I play Somewhere Over the Rainbow or Anybody Seen My Gal, or an etude I wrote (still need to post it somehow). With my ukulele club at school, if we need to fill 3 more minutes, Dreaming of You by The Coral.

ukecantdothat
09-22-2010, 06:03 AM
That's an ever changing thing for me. For a while it was the "Wild Horses" then it was "Like A Rolling Stone" then "Sloop John B" then "Free Fallin'" or "I Won't Back Down" then "Camptown Races" (of all things...), "Volcano" when I'm in a Buffetty mood, and on and on. Right now it's probably going to be "Good Riddance" thanks to Aldrine's latest lesson!

Uncle Rod Higuchi
09-22-2010, 06:15 AM
It depends on what I'm trying to learn at the time.

I'm currently working on both 'On the Street Where You Live' and 'Ku'uipo ika he'e pue one'.

But often times when I pick up my uke I begin with C Cdim Dm7 G7, which leads me into
Tiptoe thru the Tulips.

Keep uke'in',

Mandarb
09-22-2010, 06:21 AM
Still working on various chord progressions....lately it has been C - Am - F - G7 while watching TV.

wickedwahine11
09-22-2010, 06:23 AM
Either "Paris Nocturne" or Herb Ohta Jr.'s version of "Europa" -- but on that one, try as I might, I can't get beyond 1/2 down the third page of the tabs before I mess up royally.

Pueo
09-22-2010, 06:26 AM
It's usually something Hawaiian for me, like Henehene Kou Aka, or it's Ship of Fools or Deal by the Dead.
It used to be Secret Agent Man but it drove my wife crazy so I had to stop that. Oh, that happened with Boy Meets Girl by Haircut 100 too!

Ukulele Dave
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
or Herb Ohta Jr.'s version of "Europa" -- but on that one, try as I might, I can't get beyond 1/2 down the third page of the tabs before I mess up royally.

Same here wahine, Europa except Aldrine's version. Oh boy now you've done it, anyway you could link me to Herb's version tab? Is it just in a different key then Aldrines? Much Mahalo

misterpk
09-22-2010, 07:46 AM
It depends on what I'm trying to learn at the time.

I'm currently working on both 'On the Street Where You Live' and 'Ku'uipo ika he'e pue one'.

But often times when I pick up my uke I begin with C Cdim Dm7 G7, which leads me into
Tiptoe thru the Tulips.

Keep uke'in',

Is "On The Street Where You Live" from My Fair Lady?

I usually play Guava Jam for picking or if I want to demonstrate strumming I'll play something I can let loose on. Currently my favorite is "Opihi Man" by the Ka'au Crater Boys.

spookefoote
09-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Cleaning Windows, George Formby

bazmaz
09-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Hate to admit it - but "When I'm Cleaning Windows". Never play it when gigging though!

Dominator
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Same here wahine, Europa except Aldrine's version. Oh boy now you've done it, anyway you could link me to Herb's version tab? Is it just in a different key then Aldrines? Much Mahalo

I worked this one out quite a while back.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/europa_hj.pdf

Dominator
09-22-2010, 09:15 AM
So what is your default song? What do you find yourself playing when you're not paying attention?

By default it is just noodling in C. But if we are talking about a default song that if called upon to play on the spur of the moment it will have to be Blue Roses Falling.

thejumpingflea
09-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Default for "play me a song!" is Let's Dance.

I am trying to break this and recently it's been noodling over Autumn Leaves in Gm.

pulelehua
09-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Default for "play me a song!" is Let's Dance.

If I could, I would. Some day......................................

Pueo
09-22-2010, 10:24 AM

I usually play Guava Jam for picking or if I want to demonstrate strumming I'll play something I can let loose on. Currently my favorite is "Opihi Man" by the Ka'au Crater Boys.
I *LOVE* Opihi Man, our uke group plays that song and it's one of our favorites!

mds725
09-22-2010, 10:38 AM
I usually play "All My Loving" in C (although I'm learning it in G as well) or Na Moku Eha in F.

mds725
09-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Street_Where_You_Live

misterpk
09-22-2010, 10:50 AM
Yes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Street_Where_You_Live

I only asked because that's one of my favorite songs from a musical. Time to figure out how to play it. :)

UkeToaster
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
just got over doing this with Gently Weeps :K

kalicokahliaa
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM
If I've been spending a lot of time working on a particular new song, I tend to practice that...But I think my go-to song is George Harrison's "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea"...it's just way too fun to play :)

experimentjon
09-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Most of the time, when I pick up a uke, I start on Gmaj7, and end up playing Waiting in Vain.

mailman
09-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Still working on various chord progressions....lately it has been C - Am - F - G7 while watching TV.

Absolutely, that's me! As to what song it is....take your pick. There are so many songs that use that progression. Lately, it's been The Last Kiss for me....

Edit: Change the Am to Am/C (2003) for this particular song.

mailman
09-22-2010, 01:26 PM
If I've been spending a lot of time working on a particular new song, I tend to practice that...But I think my go-to song is George Harrison's "Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea"...it's just way too fun to play :)

I love that song! Care to share the chords with me (us)?

Chris Tarman
09-22-2010, 02:00 PM

That's a fun one, but not really my "go to" song. I think that would be "I'll See You In My Dreams" or "Something", unless I'm in more of a boisterous mood, in which case it would be something faster... maybe "Good Company" by Queen or "Five Foot Two".

Keef
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Here is a video of my teacher Keoni playing the song I need to learn without written instruction by the next time we meet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUREndNqA3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
so my answer is Hawaii five O :)

jacothedog
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Lately it's been Ashamed by Deer Tick for me.

kalicokahliaa
09-22-2010, 02:42 PM
I love that song! Care to share the chords with me (us)?

http://ukulelehunt.com/2008/04/24/george-harrison-the-devil-and-the-deep-blue-sea/

That's the site I got the chords from. I play it with the Dm instead of the F#dim as well. I'm going to try and record a cover of it as soon as I've got the time!

Enjoy! :)

scubatrevor1024
09-22-2010, 03:44 PM
usually, waiting in vain.

ukebeatsguitar
09-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Ukulele Weeps, I'm starting to get annoyed.

Harold O.
09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I always pick it up and think I'm going to do something really cool. Then I find myself strumming (C - C7 - F - F7)x3 - G(2) repeat. Mindless.

Mim
09-22-2010, 04:31 PM
I play Tiptoe ansentmindedly all the time. The chords just flow well and it is a happy little ditty. Most people dont even realize it is Tiptoe.

Jerlial Prophet
09-22-2010, 04:45 PM
I always find myself playing "I wanna be like you (the monkey song)" from Jungle Book. Not intentionally, it just happens. I guess its because its the first song I learned.

UkeToaster
09-22-2010, 04:47 PM
Ukulele Weeps, I'm starting to get annoyed.

i went through that. you get over it! dont worry ^_^

Chris Tarman
09-22-2010, 06:35 PM
I always pick it up and think I'm going to do something really cool. Then I find myself strumming (C - C7 - F - F7)x3 - G(2) repeat. Mindless.

Geez... I do that too! But I do it more as a turnaround... C - C7 - F - F7 - C - G7 - C.

Chris Tarman
09-22-2010, 06:36 PM
I always find myself playing "I wanna be like you (the monkey song)" from Jungle Book. Not intentionally, it just happens. I guess its because its the first song I learned.

Yep.. I do that one a lot too!

Ukulele Dave
09-22-2010, 06:48 PM
Here is a video of my teacher Keoni playing the song I need to learn without written instruction by the next time we meet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUREndNqA3w&feature=youtube_gdata_player
so my answer is Hawaii five O :)

Ahhhhh so that is your new teacher, awesome Keef. Met and jammed with Keoni at the 13th Annual Hoike Hawaii Fest back in July, didn't expect to see his face again so soon. Learn all you can from him!! Cheers

I worked this one out quite a while back.
http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/europa_hj.pdf

Doh, should of known it would be in your tabs, thanks Dom

ukefrank
09-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Mostly "Crazy G" - it's also the first thing that magically flows to my fingers if I pick up a uke for a test. In more sentimental moods it's Jon Prowns rendition of "Desperado".

joeybug
09-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Either Amazing Grace or the practise sheet I'm working on from Boot Camp...

rock_and_roll_camera
09-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Usually Staten Island Slide which the missus absolutely hates, or George Formby's When I'm Cleaning Windows...

GreatGazukes
09-23-2010, 12:16 AM
Aint Got a Barrel of Money :)

Harold O.
09-23-2010, 04:24 AM
Usually Staten Island Slide which the missus absolutely hates, or George Formby's When I'm Cleaning Windows...

I only dream of playing Staten Island Slide.

09-23-2010, 04:27 AM
when i grab an `ukulele, any `ukulele, i have usually gravitated to basically two songs, a mix of old and new (well, at least sort of new): the standard, Pauoa Liko Ka Lehua (in the key of F), and the new, Kupa`aina's "Simple Island People."

Recently though, my pops has been trying to teach me some classics and I've been trying to saturate myself by playing Dennis Pavao's "Ua mau ke ea o ka `aina i ka pono" any chance I get.

UncleElvis
09-23-2010, 05:13 AM

I'm the same!

When I first pick it up, I usually run through chords, quick, G,C,D, then C,Em,F,G,Am (Over the rainbow), then I'll do the run of "Dock of the bay" (G, B, C, B, Bb, A), then straight into "Wanna Be Like You"

(I also love the look on people's faces when I start singing it!)

rubygirl36
09-23-2010, 05:37 AM
i call it my reset song. when i'm fed up with trying something new, i go to my reset song.

bitch (formerly of bitch and animal) does a uke remake of "staying alive". just C and C7. nice and slow. easy but cool rhythm. i love it.

i'd put up a youtube link, but, alas, work does not allow me. :(

edit: found one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyURowIFAIg

rock_and_roll_camera
09-23-2010, 06:33 AM
I only dream of playing Staten Island Slide.

It's not that hard actuall!... It's one of the first things I tried to learn when I started seriously getting into the ol' uke, and because I was at that stage were you just wanna learn as much as possible even quicker then possible I couldn't get it don and left it. Then a few weeks later I went on holiday and took my uke with me along with the Staten Island Slide tab. Got it down pretty quick, an hour or two maybe? Just goes to show what a relaxing pool side atmosphere and a load of free time can acheive! Actually, I think it's because of that holiday my girlfriend can't stand that song!? I was so made up at getting it down that it was pretty much played at least once between every other song! :P

http://dominator.ukeland.com/Images/staten_island_slide.pdf

Anyway, theres the tab... give it a go, you might suprise yourself!...

pulelehua
09-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Just picked up John King's Classical book. Think Chopsticks might be on the list soon. (If I can master those triplets...)

Ahnko Honu
09-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I usually play a song I made up years ago which is a combination of C, C7, F and G7 chords.
I also play Pua Lililehua allot one of my favorite songs from hanabata daze (childhood times).

redheadedali
09-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Currently, mine are Morrissey's "Everyday is Like Sunday" and Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl" (in C).

kalmario
09-23-2010, 02:27 PM
silent ludicity or constellations. those or no women no cry.

09-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I usually play a song I made up years ago which is a combination of C, C7, F and G7 chords.
I also play Pua Lililehua allot one of my favorite songs from hanabata daze (childhood times).

ahhh one of my favorite mele and hula.

paw123los
09-23-2010, 07:42 PM
something, 5 dollars unleaded, hallelujah, in my life

musiccityuker
09-23-2010, 09:50 PM
It's almost always a bit of the Hawaiian vamp from The Hukilau Song (G7-D7-C-A7) It's a good little warm-up roll for the fingers.

Hippie Dribble
09-23-2010, 10:08 PM
hi fuzzy

at the moment, mine would be "Aint She Sweet" but it's always changing. I think too that whatever your default song is tends to be coloured by what kind of a mood you're in. Good mood: Aint she sweet, happy days theme, you're in style when you're wearing a smile et al. Melancholy mood: old folk minor key dirges like "The Blind Fiddler", "Shady Grove" etc etc.

joeybug
09-23-2010, 10:53 PM
hi fuzzy

at the moment, mine would be "Aint She Sweet" but it's always changing. I think too that whatever your default song is tends to be coloured by what kind of a mood you're in. Good mood: Aint she sweet, happy days theme, you're in style when you're wearing a smile et al. Melancholy mood: old folk minor key dirges like "The Blind Fiddler", "Shady Grove" etc etc.

Hey, I learnt "Shady Grove" as my first proper song on the Uke, it didn't sound as good at the video I was learning from, but I gave it a shot...my new song is "Amazing Grace" which I think I've "mastered"! :D

dans003
09-25-2010, 01:54 AM
close to you by carpenters
man who cant be moved by script (thanks to adrine)