Mahogany Tenor #008

Dominator

Reaction score
Here is a mahogany tenor gone bad in so many ways. I started this uke 2 years ago along side the spruce top I’ve been playing since late September of 2008. It was intended for another luthier, Kevin Crossett, but I will be building him another. There were just too many mishaps along the way, and though no money is changing hands in our arrangement, I just couldn’t let this one get out in circulation. This is the 3rd Spanish cedar neck that I’ve made for this uke and as you can see from the photo of the back I screwed it up as well. I’m embarrassed to say that I actually super glued a clamp right to the HS and when removing it a large chunk of cedar came with it. Thus I routed out the back and inserted an ebony patch. This was only one issue of a number of them but it was the last straw.

This was my first time working with Spanish Cedar and though I took all the normal precautions when drilling etc when making the slots I ended up with way too much chip-out and flaking. I was forced to actually slightly chamfer the insides of the slots around the entire perimeter to remove the chip-out. It doesn’t look terribly bad but not right just the same.

The problem is that my building suffers drastically from my lack of consistent shop time. I find myself tripping over myself and trying to remember how I did things in the past. I’m trying to keep better notes etc. but I don’t think there is any replacement for consistent hours in the shop.

The upside is that it sounds fantastic. Probably my best to date. I will be taking it with me tomorrow when I leave for the Milwaukee Uke Fest. I will be able to hear it side by side with another mahogany tenor that I built a number of years ago for Ukejon (Jon Prown). It will be interesting to see the difference in sound.

Attachments

• mahog_3.jpg
    mahog_3.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 139
  • mahog_1.jpg
    mahog_1.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 139
  • mahog_2.jpg
    mahog_2.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 124
There might have been some struggles along the way but it looks great.

Nice Dom! I'll swing by and pick it up, you do take Visa or was it MC. Shoots, that means you won't be at DaSiva's on Friday. Have fun at the MUF.

Dom, looks stunning! Please do delight us with an audio tone or two when you get a shot..

Too funny, you are building a uke for Kevin over at Kepasa while he is building one for me, man I love this community. Kevin is a pleasure to work with and his builds are top notch. I cannot wait for mine, please keep us updated on how his uke is coming along for you the second time around

Mahalo,
Dave

Nice Dom! I'll swing by and pick it up, you do take Visa or was it MC. Shoots, that means you won't be at DaSiva's on Friday. Have fun at the MUF.

Yep, wish I could be there. Aldrine was going to have me play before he went on. Russ Buss will be opening for him. Take some video if you can.

It's your #8, HMMM Looks awesome, how does sound?????Don't cha think you're being too hard on yourself..
nothings perfect in life...being a perfectionist is having high standards, especially if you're building for another builder.
I can understand that....enjoy the MJF....MM Stan....

I hope I get a chance to see it while I'm at the Milwaukee Uke Fest!

mmm...very tasty. I like that partial overlay on the back of the headstock. It might have started as a mistake, but ended up as a nice detail

Will you be bringing it to the So Cal Uke Fest Dom? I hope you make it down.

That uke looks great in the photos. I have to say it almost looks identical to my Pono Mahogany slot head.

Here is a mahogany tenor gone bad in so many ways. I started this uke 2 years ago along side the spruce top I’ve been playing since late September of 2008. It was intended for another luthier, Kevin Crossett, but I will be building him another. There were just too many mishaps along the way, and though no money is changing hands in our arrangement, I just couldn’t let this one get out in circulation. This is the 3rd Spanish cedar neck that I’ve made for this uke and as you can see from the photo of the back I screwed it up as well. I’m embarrassed to say that I actually super glued a clamp right to the HS and when removing it a large chunk of cedar came with it. Thus I routed out the back and inserted an ebony patch. This was only one issue of a number of them but it was the last straw.

This was my first time working with Spanish Cedar and though I took all the normal precautions when drilling etc when making the slots I ended up with way too much chip-out and flaking. I was forced to actually slightly chamfer the insides of the slots around the entire perimeter to remove the chip-out. It doesn’t look terribly bad but not right just the same.

The problem is that my building suffers drastically from my lack of consistent shop time. I find myself tripping over myself and trying to remember how I did things in the past. I’m trying to keep better notes etc. but I don’t think there is any replacement for consistent hours in the shop.

The upside is that it sounds fantastic. Probably my best to date. I will be taking it with me tomorrow when I leave for the Milwaukee Uke Fest. I will be able to hear it side by side with another mahogany tenor that I built a number of years ago for Ukejon (Jon Prown). It will be interesting to see the difference in sound.

Great looking uke!
BTW - Did you make your own bridge? If not, where did you get it? Looks great!
Mika

Top Bottom