Kamaka Tenor coming - what strings should I use on her?

rasputinsghost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of acquiring a Kamaka Tenor - what are your favorite string choices for them? I've heard good things about guitar strings, but I'm leaning towards my newest favorite, South Coast uke strings.

Thanks.

I have Aquilas on my baritone and it sounds great.

Congrats on your score! Any details- what year was it made?

Aloha Rasputinsghost,
Check out on the second page Uke talk ....unwound low g experiment by Wicked Wahine...there are other older postings too, but this the most current one.
As for Kamaka strings, I've always been a Kamaka string traditionalist on my Kamaka....Try them out and see if you like them first before changing....It's all
personal preference..depends what type of sound you're looking for....and they do make a difference...If you like bright, go aquillas, if you like warm go
worths or Flurocarbons....and there are so many others...D'addarios etc...for comfort/Salvarez, freemonts etc.....Good Luck!! and Happy strumming ahead!! MM Stan..

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

I have a set of Aquila tenors, Worth CTs, and a set of South Coast light gauge at the ready, I'll try 'em once she gets here. However, I doubt I'll go with the Aquilas. I REALLY like how Fluorocarbons feel, especially thin ones. Are Savarez Alliances like that? I REALLY like the sound samples I found on Youtube.

aloha

Thanks guys,

I have a set of Aquila tenors, Worth CTs, and a set of South Coast light gauge at the ready, I'll try 'em once she gets here. However, I doubt I'll go with the Aquilas. I REALLY like how Fluorocarbons feel, especially thin ones. Are Savarez Alliances like that? I REALLY like the sound samples I found on Youtube.

Again depends on the tone you wish to have....thinner for brighter and thicker for warmer
rich tones.. thinner for comfort and playabilty and thicker for a quality sound..
it's a trade off, which comes first for you.....Have you made it to EVM yet????used to
live upper west side....Good Luck!! Jus miss down the village...was rockin that time..

I've been down to EVM a bunch of times, Claude is a cool guy. Where on the UWS do you live? I live in Manhattan.

I've got Worth CTs. They're just alright on the Kamaka, IMO. If you want to be like Aldrine, get D'Addario J51s. Not sure on the number, and too lazy to check, but it's something like that. Aldrine used them on his Kamaka for a long time.

I've got Worth CTs. They're just alright on the Kamaka, IMO. If you want to be like Aldrine, get D'Addario J51s. Not sure on the number, and too lazy to check, but it's something like that. Aldrine used them on his Kamaka for a long time.

I believe for a tenor it's the D'Addario Pro Arte J71. Jake also uses them. I use them on my Kamaka tenor and it's a very nice mellow sound. I generally use either the Pro Arte line or the D'Addario T2 line on my ukes. The Pro Artes are mellow and the T2s are a little brighter. I have used Worth Clears (and I love them) but I switched to the D'Addarios because my local music store sells them and, when amplified, the Worths picked up finger noise much more than the D'Addarios do.

Right now it's strung with savarez D string for Low G, and a KoOlau wound for the C, then standard Kamaka black E, and A according to the seller.

Pretty eclectic. I'll try playing it, but I think I'm gonna try the Savarez....do I get high tension or normal tension?

Last edited:
I believe for a tenor it's the D'Addario Pro Arte J71. Jake also uses them. I use them on my Kamaka tenor and it's a very nice mellow sound. I generally use either the Pro Arte line or the D'Addario T2 line on my ukes. The Pro Artes are mellow and the T2s are a little brighter. I have used Worth Clears (and I love them) but I switched to the D'Addarios because my local music store sells them and, when amplified, the Worths picked up finger noise much more than the D'Addarios do.

Ah yes. The J71s. I totally drew a blank when I was writing the post. I wish I had a local retailer for those strings, because they are significantly cheaper than Worths...not that I change strings often. But I agree about Worths picking up finger noise when amplified. I haven't tried J71s through an amp. But I want to try T2s too.

Which are the strings that Aldrine uses now? Are those the T2s?

But ultimately, a big part of string acquisition is how easy it is for me to get my hands on a set w/o paying outrageous shipping. That means MGM or locally.

Which are the strings that Aldrine uses now? Are those the T2s?

I might be wrong but I seem to remember a somewhat recent UU Free Lesson where he said he was using T2s. I think he gave the tensions and he uses the hard tension for the C, E, and A and the extra hard for the G. Mike Pereira (of MP Customs) uses T2s on the ukes he makes but he uses normal tension for the C, E, and A and hard tension for the G.

Thanks I went with the normal tension Savarezes.

Good choice. I have tried numerous strings on my Kamaka tenor (Aquila, Kamaka strings, Hilo, Guadalupe, Worth CT, Worth BT, Worth CT low g, Worth BT low g, D'addario J71s, Fremont Flurocarbon Blackline, Fremont Blackline low g, and Savarez) and the Savarez and Fremont Blacklines are my favorite. I just ordered some Worth CH low g to try on it, but I think you will be pleased with the Savarez, particularly if you go high g tuning.

My new Kamaka 6-string came with "stock" Kamaka strings and they sound and feel fine. Why do you feel you need to change the strings from the start?? Howie 1947

My new Kamaka 6-string came with "stock" Kamaka strings and they sound and feel fine. Why do you feel you need to change the strings from the start?? Howie 1947

Howie...I can't speak for anyone else, but on my Kamaka the stock strings sounded very dull. And it wasn't because they were old. When I took it in to be refinished, they put brand new "Kamaka" strings on them and it lacked any sparkle at all. But I fully admit that it appears everyone's uke is different...as is everyone's personal tastes.

I'm getting her used, and with different strings, and I don't wanna go through the trouble of buying a Kamaka set, especially when they're not known for being great...

Top Bottom