Plec or Fingers?

joeybug

Reaction score
What do you use to strum? A plec or your fingers? I try to get into a good strumming pattern with my fingers but don't seem to hit all the strings and the chords don't sound right, whereas with my felt plec, it makes a richer sound and I hit all the strings for the chords...

Just wondered what the consensus was on plectrums...

Aloha Joeybug,
Everyone has their own preferences, do what works for you...in time everything will come naturally...
Practice, Patience, and Perseverence will reward you sooner or later...Have Fun!!"Keep strumming
them strings" MM Stan...

I use fingers or thumb (or both) but you should play the way that you like best.

For me, it depends on a couple of things. Mainly, how loud I want/need to be.

I'm fortunate enough to have a plug in for my tenor so I use it a lot just finger picked. However, I was at a jam session for guitars and fiddlers last weekend and there was no way I was going to be heard unplugged against four guitars, 2 fiddles, a banjo, and an upright bass. Just wasn't going to happen. So, I picked with a plectrum.

A lot of people will tell you not to use a plectrum. So of them will say that if you must, only use felt. There is some logic there. Nylon strings are prone to damage when you hit them with something like plastic plecs. However, I get some great tone, feel, and volume using extremely thin plastic Dunlop plecs.

~DB

i've tried nearly every way, and i find that i'm most comfortable playing with the side of my thumb. feels a little silly since i've seen no other ukers do this, but it works for me and gives my uke a good, full tone.

i use my fingers, but not in the traditional finger- out style. I use the nail of my thumb and index finger, held together (just like if i were holding on to a pick) on a down strum your index nail does the work, on the upstrum yourthumb...you don't need long nails to do this what so ever.....it gives a loud tone, a little bit more abbrassive than a strum with the soft part of a hand, similar to a pick but not as "plastic on plastic sounding"

All strumming tasks practice as you learn the muscle memory it takes to know what angle and how deep to go into the strings...eventually you'll get it! Keep working

i've tried nearly every way, and i find that i'm most comfortable playing with the side of my thumb. feels a little silly since i've seen no other ukers do this, but it works for me and gives my uke a good, full tone.

Me, too! Me, too!

I normally use my fingers, although if I'm jamming with guitars and need more volume, I'll use a pick.

What do you use to strum? A plec or your fingers? I try to get into a good strumming pattern with my fingers but don't seem to hit all the strings and the chords don't sound right, whereas with my felt plec, it makes a richer sound and I hit all the strings for the chords...

Just wondered what the consensus was on plectrums...

Hi joeybug!

I have the same problem. When I strum with my fingers I don't hit every string. I've thought about getting a felt pick, but for now I'll just practice with my fingers or my thumb which I use occasionally :) Good Luck and have fun!

Hi joeybug!

I have the same problem. When I strum with my fingers I don't hit every string. I've thought about getting a felt pick, but for now I'll just practice with my fingers or my thumb which I use occasionally :) Good Luck and have fun!

I think I'll use the pick and practise with my fingers! Thanks for the input! :D

Top Bottom