Bruce Wei ukes

the52blues

Reaction score
We have had a couple of threads on Vietnam ukes in the past and as I had mentioned I loved the ukes I bought from Taisamlu and have decided to stay away from Antoniosai. There is another guy from Taiwan on Ebay - Bruce Wei. Up until now his ukes were very plain looking with very little inlay. He charges $85 for shipping and does not include a case but will provide one for $30. Lately he seems to have upped his game with some nice new styles with tasty inlays and a sound hole in the top front bout. Has anyone here bought from him? Any stories? I'm bidding on one now...don't know if I'll win or not but if anyone has any info on this guy I'd like to know. Thanks.

Sorry for not replying to this thread sooner...
I have a soprano uke from Bruce, I sniped it for a paltry $11! That's under 8 quid!
Even with the shipping on top it was cheap.
Solid "Monkey-Pod wood"... whatever that is.... it sounds real nice with Aquilas fitted.
I mostly fingerpick & it has a real sweet rich & "sparkly" tone, much nicer than I expected.
I deepened the nut-slots a little & dropped the action by filing a few mm off the underside of the saddle, the intonation is good.
It took no more work than this to get it playing like a much more expensive instrument.
The neck has a nice rounded profile, which I much prefer to the shallower necks... I find a deeper neck makes it easier for the thumb to provide some back-pressure for barre-chords etc without any straining, but maybe that's just me.
I'm not a fan of fancy inlays, this one is subtle, little MOP stars for the fretboard-dots, plain abalone round the soundhole & a little herringbone stripe @ the tailblock.
I T-cut the matt finish to a vintagey-shine. (I don't like matt!)
There's another thread here somewhere, Bruce Wei's ukes seem to have quite a good reputation & he does give good service.
That Antoniosai is obviously one to avoid like the plague, but I would happily order another off Bruce Wei...

I bought one several months ago...simple maple and spruce tenor...just to fiddle around while worked on my own tenor builds. I'd only experienced soprano and concert before this. Same experience as above...got it for under $10.00 w/delivery under $95.00. I avoided bidding on the more exotic inlayed stuff hoping that the quality would be in the instrument and would cost less. No complaints at all. Bruce even responded to after sale questions about bracing, finish, and radius. I bought a set of tuners from Antoniosai (inlaid artist on ebay now). Would never do that again no matter what the quality or price. Big difference!

I did manage to win a Bruce Wei tenor uke. It looks to me like a Fluke shape with nice aquarium fish inlays up the fretboard - $22.79!!!!!. I am paying $30 extra for a hard shell case and his slightly high $85 for shipping but altogether a gorgeous uke for under $150 CDN. I can't wait til it arrives. I have now bought 4 ukes from Taiwan/Vietnam and am so impressed I likely will never spend $800-$1600 on a Hawaiian uke. I don't see the sense. I also bought some active PU systems for a couple of dollars each and my tech will install one for me in trade for the second unit to sell to someone else. He just did that for me with my Yamaha 12 string. I paid $5 each for 2 systems. He installed one in my guitar and I gave him the other one. Not bad an installed active PU system for $10. I like Ebay....

I did manage to win a Bruce Wei tenor uke. It looks to me like a Fluke shape with nice aquarium fish inlays up the fretboard - $22.79!!!!!. I am paying $30 extra for a hard shell case and his slightly high $85 for shipping but altogether a gorgeous uke for under $150 CDN. I can't wait til it arrives. I have now bought 4 ukes from Taiwan/Vietnam and am so impressed I likely will never spend $800-$1600 on a Hawaiian uke. I don't see the sense. I also bought some active PU systems for a couple of dollars each and my tech will install one for me in trade for the second unit to sell to someone else. He just did that for me with my Yamaha 12 string. I paid $5 each for 2 systems. He installed one in my guitar and I gave him the other one. Not bad an installed active PU system for $10. I like Ebay....

How much did you pay on custom? Was it send through regular mail and it deliver to your door ? Just wondering if it's a bad idea to order in the winter.

How much did you pay on custom? Was it send through regular mail and it deliver to your door ? Just wondering if it's a bad idea to order in the winter.

Brenda that post is 4-1/2 years old. You might want to send him a PM and see if he answers, his last activity was back in Aug 2014.

For what it is worth I think it is a bad idea to order period. You have a new Kanilea from HMS and you were not happy with their set up. So I might be going out on a limb here but I am guessing these ukes are probably a little lower quality.

Hi Brenda, the person you are replying to has not been posting for over 4 months now. I don't know about customs as in fees for shipping a ukulele into Canada. (OR do you mean how much does he charge for a custom ukulele ?) But there was a thread earlier today about the costs of importing ukuleles from Asia. In the US and in Norway there does not seem to be a tax on importing small quantities of ukuleles (usually). I don't know about Canada. But someone here might know, or you might want to check the other thread from earlier today.

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...ees-Tariffs-for-Tom-Pocket-Uke-from-Hong-Kong

Brenda, you can email Bruce at the email address I gave you and ask him any question you have, he's answered all my questions quickly and clearly about each of the 4 customs he made for me. By the way, Bruce is from Taiwan but builds his instruments in Vietnam. If you're asking about customs, I know that in the US, there are no customs fees, and shipping from Ho Chi Minh City to Los Angeles is about $65 to $70.

I was just curious because I saw a uku with cats inlay on the neck, I thought how perfect is that for my daughter upcoming birthday.
No it's not for me.. I have no right to buy any more uku in the next year or so. The kanilea is working well now. The sound opened up. I have been playing so much ( to hide from the cold winter) , I love it more and more . Someone in this forum said in time I will form a relationship with the Kanilea and he is right!

I got a baritone from Bruce Wei in 2013. I can't recall the exact amount, but I believe the total taxes and processing fee was about $50.

The uke dried out and cracked over a period of about 6 months, so I suggest caution. I'm in Ontario too and winter air here can be as dry as Mars, despite the snow on the ground. It can be tough on any musical instrument.

This is interesting to me. I hear such mixed reviews and realize that some may be the result of who built the instrument that ends up with the label that has Bruce's name on it.

I have seen video of string instruments being made in Viet Nam with hand tools and people sitting on a bare floor, in conditions with open windows and in some cases open walls and all the workers have matching t-shirts and shorts. I have also seen pictures of factories in Asia that look to me as neat and tidy as hair salons with people wearing masks and gloves. Neither example has anything to do with Bruce Wei however, it has been mentioned that he does not and even could not be producing all of the instruments that he lists on his e-bay store.

That said I am also wonder (meaning I don't know) if the type of wood has anything to do with this cracking. Does wood that originally comes from a region have anything to do with how well it holds up in the climates of other regions ? Are tropical woods more likely to crack than say maple or spruce when an instrument is brought into a climate where all of the humidity is frozen out of the air and drops to the ground, and heaters warm the homes ? Or does exposure to the humid environment at the time the instrument was built "seal the deal" ? Tom, Kala, and most other ukuleles are built in Asia (and Asia is a huge area with more than one environment) but don't seem to have the same reputation of cracking.

I would hate to discriminate against and entire economy or an entire group because I made a foolish wood choice. To me it is rather offensive to say things like "You get what you pay for" when "what you pay for" feeds someones family for a week. The video of people working in the open with less equipment, appear to be working harder than those who only claim that their instruments are "hand made" when power tools and in some cases electricity is (or isn't) used.

Back to Bruce Wei, Bruce is obviously using computers to design his custom builds which I have heard no complaints about. If he is also supporting other builders in his region as part of his business his reputation is naturally affected by the products he puts his name on. I don't know what a builder in Asia should or could to to predict the future of cracking of an instrument. But, it would be nice to know how to better judge or predict what type of instrument is going to crack.

This is interesting to me. I hear such mixed reviews and realize that some may be the result of who built the instrument that ends up with the label that has Bruce's name on it.

I have seen video of string instruments being made in Viet Nam with hand tools and people sitting on a bare floor, in conditions with open windows and in some cases open walls and all the workers have matching t-shirts and shorts. I have also seen pictures of factories in Asia that look to me as neat and tidy as hair salons with people wearing masks and gloves. Neither example has anything to do with Bruce Wei however, it has been mentioned that he does not and even could not be producing all of the instruments that he lists on his e-bay store.

That said I am also wonder (meaning I don't know) if the type of wood has anything to do with this cracking. Does wood that originally comes from a region have anything to do with how well it holds up in the climates of other regions ? Are tropical woods more likely to crack than say maple or spruce when an instrument is brought into a climate where all of the humidity is frozen out of the air and drops to the ground, and heaters warm the homes ? Or does exposure to the humid environment at the time the instrument was built "seal the deal" ? Tom, Kala, and most other ukuleles are built in Asia (and Asia is a huge area with more than one environment) but don't seem to have the same reputation of cracking.

I would hate to discriminate against and entire economy or an entire group because I made a foolish wood choice. To me it is rather offensive to say things like "You get what you pay for" when "what you pay for" feeds someones family for a week. The video of people working in the open with less equipment, appear to be working harder than those who only claim that their instruments are "hand made" when power tools and in some cases electricity is (or isn't) used.

Back to Bruce Wei, Bruce is obviously using computers to design his custom builds which I have heard no complaints about. If he is also supporting other builders in his region as part of his business his reputation is naturally affected by the products he puts his name on. I don't know what a builder in Asia should or could to to predict the future of cracking of an instrument. But, it would be nice to know how to better judge or predict what type of instrument is going to crack.

My daughter tells me the reason the instrument crack is because the uku probably has been sitting at the port in a shipping container in the heat for weeks until the container is filled then again sit on the ship for at least a month before arriving North America. Now this made sense why some arrived cracked and some are OK. The OK one probably was the lucky few that did not sit at port for too long?

When I got to the third email from people I knew who bought and were dissatisfied, I vowed I would never entertain buying one. Perhaps that means I miss out but would rather not play Russian Roulette.

When I got to the third email from people I knew who bought and were dissatisfied, I vowed I would never entertain buying one. Perhaps that means I miss out but would rather not play Russian Roulette.

There are currently two threads complaining about a Pono. That does not count against a three strike and you're out rule for me. I doubt it would for you either.

To make a good judgement one would need to know how often a problem occurs and the reasons why it occurs. Relying on people sending information to you may not always be the best course. How many happy customers need to write you to overturn your decision ? How many are sold with no problems?

Last edited:
There are currently two threads complaining about a Pono. That does not count against a three strike and you're out rule for me. I doubt it would for you either.

To make a good judgement one would need to know how often a problem occurs and the reasons why it occurs. Relying on people sending information to you may not always be the best course. How many happy customers need to write you to overturn your decision ? How many are sold with no problems?

What are the threads?

I believe the threads are something like :

"I should send this back right ?"

and the other is something like :

"If you have a pono could you check something for me.

My wei wei tenor cracked due to my inexperience with solid wood instruments born in a jungle. If memory serves me correctly it took a week or less to arrive to my door. It was not very well padded while packed. One crack that appeared on the rear night have happened due to compression before drying. I caused another small identical crack clamping the top crack closed with some glue.

The instrument sat the better part of the year in my jungle box (economy humidifier) I've bought a few ukuleles since and find I'm a soprano. After receiving a well loved concert KoAloha of course I brought them all out for a sound test. My wei wei tenors voice changed sitting. Shes sings as sweet as the KoAloha now.

The setup as shipped was fine I'm just not into the tenors string tension I guess. Playable, sounds great, cracks seem to be stabilized with humidity control and it was $17.50 before adding the shipping charge. Mine has no label and cosmetic defects.

Great ukuleles have a higher buy it now or make an offer listing. The better ukuleles get a higher starting bid, those with thicker finish or other "defects" or those that sit with no bid then get listed with a .99 cent starting price. Many times this relisted ukulele gets sold very close to the old original starting price. At times $5 is saved for all the stress of bidding.

This is what I have observed.
~AL~

Never thought of it that way AL. That does make sense, I was always operating under the assumption that the high cost of shipping was covering the cost of shipping and the ukulele and that everything on top of that was profit.

Looking at it the way you describe suggests that we are comparing $20 instruments to those that cost 100's more. So you are saying that a $20 cracked Bruce Wei tenor humidified, sounds similar to a cracked KoAloha concert?

The KoAloha concert is dated 2002 it is a three piece body with no cracks but well loved. I consider well loved to be 100% playable with visible wear from playing. There is some finish wear and some fretboard wear, small ding or two but shes a singer for sure. This ukulele was well played and is very impressive even with all the religious symbolism.

Yes I'm saying to my ear a 1 year old sub $100 cracked ukulele (under $20 actually) sounds as full and rich in tone as the aged KoAloha. The Wei Wei was said to be solid acacia. My Kala KA-SCG while as loud as both now sounds very thin compared. None of my other ukuleles come close to this richness of tone.

Maybe I should string Wei Wei up with a set of Aquila reds and give it another go. I was going to tune it as a linear baritone but after this discovery I haven't changed a thing yet.

Oh yes and shipping is shipping look: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bruce-Wei-S...105?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27f4b8cc09 $750 tenor still $70 to ship.

~AL~

EDIT: None of this is any good for UAS. I have to keep telling myself I really want a Blackbear or a Timms ukulele never mind a Martin 3 Cherry but a solid wood ukulele for under $200 that might sing just as sweet is hard to pass. I tend to dent ding and scratch everything I own as well so. Why oh why did I sleep on that white pine soprano from Blackbear last year around this time. It was gone by morning.

Last edited:

But I havent had trains of emails about Ponos being dry, or cracking, or being made from overly thin woods...

My money, my choice - i would never risk one. But that is just me..

Top Bottom