String suggestion... I just got a...

rock_and_roll_camera

Reaction score
Hey guys, after years of longing I finally got a banjo-uke! Well, when I say 'got' I mean I've just paid for it, hopefully arrive Saturday or Monday! I've been waiting for two weeks to get paid to buy this out of the classifieds, hoping it didn't get sold and finally today I transferred the money! YAY! I can't give you much detail, it doesn't appear to have a makers name from the photos I've seen but it's lovely! I think the lady selling said she's had it 15 years but I don't remeber. Either way she says it's intage so I'm guessing it wasn't new when she got it.

Anyway, just wanted some ideas for strings. I'm guessing it will need re-stringing when it arrives so was gonna bang some concert Aquillas on it. Just wanted to know if anybody had any other recommendations and if anybody could offer any advice on metal strings?

Well thanks guys, hopefully there should be a pic or two below, lets see if anybody can shed some light on it?...

banjouke01.jpg

banjouke02.jpg

banjouke03.jpg

it's tough to say whether or not the neck and dowel is strong enough to handle steel.. but you COULD in theory use some light gauge banjo strings on it, strung in gcea order. it really depends though. you'd have to take it for pro setup, because your nut and bridge are probably slotted for nylon.

i use aquilas on my five string banjo and they sound AWESOME.

I guess I'll stick with the nylons then!? I knew the steels would prob be a long shot, just wanted to see where I stood. Wanted to see if there was anything else to consider other then Aquillas, I already have some in so I'll re-string it in those and then maybe move onto something else if anybody comes up with anything?

She's a beauty. Kills you to have to wait, doesn't it? I've had great luck with Koolau Gold strings... all nylon tenors...a little fatter than concert or soprano...and a mellow tone on a banjo uke! My choice, anyway!

She's a beauty. Kills you to have to wait, doesn't it? I've had great luck with Koolau Gold strings... all nylon tenors...a little fatter than concert or soprano...and a mellow tone on a banjo uke! My choice, anyway!

Yeah, the wait is killing me. I paid for it on Thursday and hoped it'd be posted the same day, but the lady only managed to post it Yeaterday. I knew it wouldn't come today, but I hoped it would! Hopefully come Monday, I'm off work Monday and the waiting in for the postman is gonna drive me nuts. Then when (if) she comes I won't get much time to enjoy her stright away as I'll have to go out and do all the things I should've done while I waited in...

I want it so bad!...

Top Bottom