Kenilai, Kelii, KPK

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I am buying 2 Kelii ukes mainly because of reviews on the internet being typically good and stating a great value in comparison to the 3 Ks normally sought after (and higher priced).

So, I am truly looking forward to this purchase.

I'm just wondering about all the name changing.

Keilani (I believe that is the correct spelling) to Kelii. with a KPK product line on the side. KPK being from China.

I am curious why they changed the name. Did it signify another direction with the company? Was the previous name too confusing with another maker's name?

I haven't heard of Kenilai before.
I think Keli'i belongs to KC Moore(Hawaii). He also started Koa Pili Koko as a cheaper import line.
....Don't quote me on this, but I think the factory started selling the KPKs to other retailers who gave the company a bad name....Because of this, KC Moore is no longer affiliated with KPK, but they still use his design.

The factory that builds the KPKs also build/sell a brand called Melokia, which look identical

Keli'is use real koa while the others use acacia wood.

Last edited:
Here's an explanation from MGM . . .
Keilani is the usually lower end line of Kelii Ukuleles made by Casey Moore in Newtown Aiea Hawaii. His regular ukes are called Kelii and his imports are the Koa Pili Koko made after the Kelii line. keilani is the name usually reserved for his ukuelles that incorporatea mahogany body or back and sides. Some of you may know Casey as Owner of the former Pearl City Pawn with his Dad "Pops". Speaking of pawn shops the best ukuele selection is the one next to Elena's restaurant in waipahu.

THanks to the both of you.

One online site said Keilani had changed its name to Kelii but based on this information, that is not technically true.

Keilani is the mahogany? And all Keliis are koa (non acacia koa).

I had heard KPK had "quality" issues and if KC Moore is no longer affiliated, then that is good to know. I know about dealing with the Conglomerated Corporation of China.

Last edited:
Keilani is the mahogany? And all Keliis are koa (non acacia koa).

non acacia koa is impossible since Koa is a species of Acacia, but I understand what your saying and as far as I know the Kelii's are solid Koa

Top Bottom