How hot, is too hot?

UkuLeLesReggAe

Reaction score
My uke is stuck in customs. This AWESOME country has a tax of $50 for items over $1000. Been there for 6 days, will probably stay there for another 10... (I assume because it's my luck + the procedure I need to take before I get it sent to me)

Kanilea is stuck in customs... Instead of giving me $50 tax, need to send faxes, call, they aren't open for another 3 days.. etc -.- etc -.- etc-.-

In order for heat, humidity, or anything like that, to altar the glue, or wood, or ANYTHING associate with the ukulele, how hot is too hot? Is it going to be ok?

or am I going to get an banjo sounding ukulele...

howdy to the reggaemeister

mate, I'm in sympathy with you...twice I've bought ukes from the states and been slapped a huge customs import duty. First was a custom Black Bear - $1500USD and had to pay $300+ !!!!! 2nd time was a couple of ukes from elderly and though total cost was more than $1500USD I only had to pay $200+ but hey, it's still a lot of money when you're adding shipping onto the bill as well. For us aussies, we really need to know we want something bad before we buy coz the extras are massive...

Sorry I can't help you re the condition of the uke but I imagine being in customs would be a fairly stable room temp. Weather here hasn't yet got so hot so I wouldn't stress too much. She'll be fine and in your outstretched arms soon. cheers mate, eugene.

Man..I think we'd resort to looking at cairns music. But they somehow didn't reply my emails :/

hi Lexxy

you know what...I have tried to by ukes from them before and they NEVER get back to you. It took me 3 or 4 phonecalls before I even got to talk to Gabi and then after I'd placed the order, I never heard back??? Anyway, they're overpriced and have very limited range in my humble opinion. I've found that - even with shipping costs, it's almost always cheaper to buy direct from the US

I really hope... REALLY HOPE, I didn't spend $1300 on an ukulele, and then because Australia is trying to make a profit of some low income 19 year old, they are going to altar the instrument. The process is pathetic and some of the things this country does, is just embarrassing.

I'm pretty gullible in the way, telling me, it convinces me. So thanks, I hope there isn't any alteration.... I'm just sooo pee'd right now....

again mate,I understand your frustration. I was naiive the first time I bought one from overseas. No probs if it's less than $1000. Yeah,I paid my money to the guy for my uke, thinking it was a done deal and then I get a message on my phone from customs a week later saying they've got my uke and won't clear it and send it to me till I fork out ANOTHER $300+ dollars!!! I couldn't believe it! Just another govt scam mate to get more money off the good guys!

They probably thought: Hey, if they can pay the bill for the item, they sure as heck would be able to pay the extra money!

mines only $48... but you're missing the point.... IT BETTER NOT BE ALTARED BECAUSE THEY WANT MY $50.... that's why I'm wondering if being in customs for so long, is too hot for the uke over the period of time it's been there..

I don't think heat is the big issue, its the humidity. As long as there haven't been drastic temp changes you should be OK.

Aloha & G'Day Matt,
Sorry to hear another snag in your receiving your dream ukulele. I know it S*ucks, that "Duty tax" as if you're not paying enough
already form your uke....goverment wants to make something out of you too....eh!! If you encounter any structural issues due to heat I'd
mention to them as soon aspossible...I hope it arrive soon..."keep strumming you ukulele" and Have Fun until it arrives..MM Stan
Let us know how it turns out!!! Cheers....

I wouldn't worry too much. Leave the box unopened for a day or two (that's the hardest part!) in it's new environment before opening. Glue (hide glue especially) lets go at 140-170 degrees F, so unless it's unboxed and in direct sunlight it should be fine. I can't imagine people working in a warehouse at that temperature without complaining, so I'm going to assume if people handle your box then it's within human tolerance limits.

Humidity shouldn't be too bad as it's sealed in a container so that even extreme changes will be slow to reach it. Do the "waiting game" in after you get it and you should be fine.

mines only $48... but you're missing the point.... IT BETTER NOT BE ALTARED BECAUSE THEY WANT MY $50.... that's why I'm wondering if being in customs for so long, is too hot for the uke over the period of time it's been there..

I wouldn't stress mate. It's boxed up and therefore I guess it's more or less insulated. It'll be fine.

First, don't worry about the effect on your instrument in customs. Should be fine there. Worry more if you have a long summer ground delivery. Should be air as much as possible, and then local post office pick-up.

As far as customs, this is kind of a cultural issue. Our instruments are made in Central America, and those countries have the same sort of high import taxes as Australia. We have to ship certain materials, and you can if you want, underdeclare the value of those materials. It becomes a moral issue, as on the one hand, you (or the recipient) become a tax cheat. On the other hand, it is often part of an entire corrupt system where payoffs to customs agents to avoid the exorbitant duty is considered normal, and if you don't play the game you are a sucker.

We have shipped several instruments to Australia. The first was a Tenor Guitar, our most expensive instrument. I had no idea that a so called "progressive" country would still engage in third world tax practices. I declared it at full value, and almost wept when my surprised customer told me how much additional duty he had to pay.

Now when I ship overseas, I never assume an enlightened tax policy. I always ask, and leave it to the customer to judge the fairness of his country's tax code and the declared value I should put on the instrument.

Last edited:
money, not a problem. 150-170F, it's not that hot here.... I'm kind oif over it now, but it's probably added another week, if not two, to my delivery...... Only gives me about 3 weeks to learn music.. :S arghhh

Top Bottom