Ukulele Painters group now active.

GrumpyOldMan

Reaction score
There are quite a few Ukulele painters on here so I thought a group would be useful for sharing tips, info, photo's etc. I'm not a painter myself but my Daughter is painting some for an art project and thought it would be a useful tool for collating information together.
Go to groups and search for Painted Ukuleles

Ian.

Wow.
I signed up to this site because of this thread.
And it's old and empty.

Anyone out there with a desire to express on your ukulele as well as with it? Maybe even more?

I wouldn't mind joining you in this, Madeline. Recently, while attending a workshop give by Kimo Hussey, I encountered a few ukes with painted soundboards. I paint in oils, but I'm not sure these would be ideal for painting onto the finish of an ukulele.

Neither of my ukes is really suitable for painting (both are high-end "K brands" from Hawai'i), but I could be coaxed into a painting a reduction of "The Unicorn in Captivity" from The Unicorn Tapestries on my Koaloha soprano. I have no plans to resell it anyways.

Have you painted an ukulele before?

Not many of the 'Groups' got much of a following, most people don't even know they exist, so it is easier to start a thread in the main forums, like you have done. :)

(I hope you get some useful replies.)

Edit: As for painting, I've always been useless... ;)

Anyone out there with a desire to express on your ukulele as well as with it? Maybe even more?

Desire? Yes! :) But is it safe? :(

I love the art that I see online (here's a great roundup at Bored Panda: http://www.boredpanda.com/paintings-by-saltyhippie/) but my impression is that it's mostly artists (i.e. not musicians) painting inexpensive (sub $100) ukes. My concert Kala might be on the low end of the price spectrum, but I won't take anything except a cleaning cloth to it if I don't know how acrylic paint will affect the wood and sound.

There's a beautiful maple Compass Rose Tenor ukulele at Gryphon Strings painted with orchids...not sure what kind of paint was used but it looks great to me:)

Top Bottom