Ever get a uke that was damaged in shipping?

Have you ever received a uke that was damaged in shipping?

• Never

Votes: 43 71.7%
  • Only one damaged

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Two recevied damaged

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Three (too many)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Four or more (very unlucky)

Votes: 2 3.3%

• Total voters

Doc_J

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just received a new uke today. Unfortunately it was damaged, most likely in shipping. It had 2 small wood grain cracks on the front at the bottom of the lower bout.

It got me thinking how many people have ever had this happen. I'd guess less than 10%, but I'm usually wrong. So, thought I'd take a poll.

Have you ever received a uke that was damaged in shipping? 0, 1,2,3,more.

I hope no one has received more damaged ones than that!
This is my 2nd shipping damaged uke. Oddly, both were from uke stores in Hawaii.

Last edited:
Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear about your bad shipping luck. I just got my 12th uke a couple of weeks ago and all but 4 were shipped (most from HI) and I've never even had a scratch on any of them. Even the vintage ones I've got on ebay were well packed and arrived in great shape. I hope it's not 10% cause that would mean I'm overdue!!

I have bought and sold a few ukes on ebay and fmm. Never had a problem with damage, even though some were packed better than others.

Only had shipping damage was from two different stores in Hawaii. The first one refunded my purchase price and paid for return shipping, good customer service.

For the damaged uke I received today the store owner wants me to ship back at my expense, even though he admits he didn't pack it well (uke in a hard case was put in a small cardboard box with nothing between the case and the cardboard). Said he would up grade the uke to make up for it. We'll see what happens.

No, it was brand new (Pono PKS-1). The store owner said that he never shipped ukes like this before and that another customer for same uke called today with the same problem.

But you're right. It seemed funny, as the box was fine and the uke was in hard case. The box was tight to the top and bottom of the case, and possibly a heavy weight/box could have pushed on the bridge, stressing the sound board.

Just once, but it was more the shipping company's fault (they must've dropped it hard).
But nevertheless, the sender provided a partial refund to make up for the aesthetic blemish on the backside of the uke to make up for it :)

From our perspective - shipping is a nightmare! Spend all that time building a beatiful instrument and then entrust it to a bunch of gorillas! When you think about it, it is even worse for it to spend a lot of time in the back of hot trucks. Instrument 101: do not leave your instrument in the trunk of your car - yet that is more or less what you do when you ship one by ground freight.

We have finally found what we think is the best way to ship: 1) plywood boxed 2) all by air (no ground delivery- no back of trucks) 3) pick-up at your local post office ( see no ground - #2).

Insurance is a hassle for everyone involved. Much better to have a safe, secure delivery.

Last edited:
We have finally found what we think is the best way to ship: 1) plywood boxed 2) all by air (no ground delivery- no back of trucks) 3) pick-up at your local post office ( see no ground - #2).

Insurance is a hassle for everyone involved. Much better to have a safe, secure delivery.
OK. so how does it get from the airport to the local post office? I don't think it arrives by parachute or helicoptor:)

I shipped a uke to TikiUke and it arrived cracked. The USPS made it right by giving him a refund of what he paid but it took a little bit of time. Maybe 30 days? I was surprised b/c I called UkeRepublic and asked him how to pack it. It happens. This is why I buy insurance on my ukes I ship.

No, it was brand new (Pono PKS-1). The store owner said that he never shipped ukes like this before and that another customer for same uke called today with the same problem.

But you're right. It seemed funny, as the box was fine and the uke was in hard case. The box was tight to the top and bottom of the case, and possibly a heavy weight/box could have pushed on the bridge, stressing the sound board.

A pono? You know UkeRepublic (hour away from you) sells Pono. No shipping.Just a car drive:)

Had a close call once - uke without a case that was packed well with at least 5"- 6" of bubble wrap around it, taped in sturdy box. Arrived at the Post Office with a few rips in the box and several large punctures through box, missing the headstock by just a fee millimeters. Was amazed there was no damage.

hi Doc

I have bought many ukes from the US in the last couple of years and never had a problem. I count myself very fortunate.

A few boxes have arrived looking beat up - big dents and rips, but no damage inside.

Mind you, nearly every CD I get shipped to me has a cracked case!!!

A pono? You know UkeRepublic (hour away from you) sells Pono. No shipping.Just a car drive:)

Yes ... I know....But this was a great price and an offer too good to pass up.

(This was the discounted 2009 line of Koa Pono's. Not much stock of this, anywhere. I believe Mike sold all his old Pono stock last year.)

Never had one arrive damaged but did have one disappear in transit. Seller did not insure the item but did give me a full refund for lost item. That 1 out of 11 new 'ukuleles mailed that did not turn out correctly I guess is not bad. I'm not counting the numerous used 'ukuleles I had shipped here over the years. I prefer USPS over FedEx, and UPS in that order with UPS a very distant 3rd.

Yes ... I know....But this was a great price and an offer too good to pass up.

(This was the discounted 2009 line of Koa Pono's. Not much stock of this, anywhere. I believe Mike sold all his old Pono stock last year.)

i understand. those koa ponois are nice. the koa on them is usually very pretty. I have heard that damaged ukes is a common problem from a specific hawaiian uke dealer. I wonder if yours came from one of those.

Living in 'The Land Down Under' I reguarly have orders come from far away places.

I have had two vintage ukes sent this way neither was in pristine condition when purchased.

They were both well packed in bubble wrap or peanuts so the ukes survived but both boxes had suffered damage, have you ever watched them load a plane!

Like eugene said most stuff has been squashed during part of the trip.

P.S. Both ukes have been given some TLC and today I wil be playing them at the Coaldale Markets between the escarpment and the sea on a beautiful day along with another dozen or so Random Ukulele Players.

i understand. those koa ponois are nice. the koa on them is usually very pretty. I have heard that damaged ukes is a common problem from a specific hawaiian uke dealer. I wonder if yours came from one of those.

I purchased this one from Scotty's. He's a nice guy and is trying to care this and keep me happy. I mailed it back today. Said he was going to upgrade me to a nicer one, properly packed this time. Should have the replacement by next Saturday.

I purchased this one from Scotty's. He's a nice guy and is trying to care this and keep me happy. I mailed it back today. Said he was going to upgrade me to a nicer one, properly packed this time. Should have the replacement by next Saturday.

that doesn
t sound like the one. I do not remember the name of the place but I do remember it was Ponos involved. Of course there are two sides to every story. I'm glad Scotty is taking care of you. That speaks volumes of their customer service.

Top Bottom