Line to get into an Asian Ukulele Store

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I went by a new uke store in Bangkok. I have plenty of ukes and don't need more but I always go take a look and look for accessories.

I knew something was up as people were running around this mall with ukulele bags.

It was like there was a band convention.

The line did a uturn snake. I'd estimate 50 people in line and lots of people outside playing with their new toys.

The store is so small, they only allowed a few customers in at a time.

All the other stores were just sitting there watching this line of people waiting hours for the chance to buy a ukulele.

These are some cool ukes from Japan, much like the line of Hello Kitty ukes, they were about $140 and in the shape of that japanese video pair U900

Selling them as fast as they can unpack the boxes.

Last edited:
Great story. I live in Japan, and I love U900! I've seen those character ukes, and I would grab one in a second at that price. I think they are almost double that here in Japan.

I would have grabbed one or both too but he told me more would arrive in November and I didn't want to have to wait in line.

Besides, I had just purchased loads of ukes already and my wife needs to think I have some control over myself. But she would be wrong.

CooL.. I was hoping to see a pic of the long line....

Thailand has got uke fever! We can't keep up with the demand there. Malaysia is also catching on.

Is there a specific part of Malaysia that has a significantly high demand in it? Cuz the part of malaysia where i came from, they never even heard of this magical instrument :(

Where is the store in Bangkok?

JUst opposite Siam Shopping Center is the Digitial Center . If you get off the sky train at Siam, you go the opposite direction of Siam and you'll be walked into the new Digital Discovery mall. Its on the second floor called Ribbee Boutique. Ask anybody at one of the stores for ukuleles and I'm sure they know. Its a small store. THey need a loung and coffee shop to go with it.

Hoosier, NO doubt that they have created a buzz here.

I personaly walk the streets with my uke and I can tell there is interest.

Last edited:
That "isogabamaware"
"Walk dont run" video by u900 is my favorite. and I am not a kid. (just a little wierd, maybe.?.?) I love that video.

bobj
in Japan

BOb,

Can you put in the lyrics so I can sing it like that?

haha

Not

... (just a little wierd, maybe.?.?)

You are not weird. That's your adult speaking and thank goodness the kid is alive and well inside you and probably most of us that just love the uke. That's what I think. Well, at least, you're not weird because you love that video. It was delightful.

Oh, and thanks, Paul December, for asking my question and, SuzukHammer, for responding. Made me smile, made me laugh and made me happy.

Aloha Asaloha, Welcome to UU. Thanks for posting the videos, glad to see the ukulele frenzy abroad.

That was so cool to see! All those cool young Thai uke players. The only line to get in a store I ever see in the U.S. is for the Coach Store(purses/handbags/accessories). I would gladly wait in line for a uke! Thanks for posting the video!

Top Bottom