Fairport Convention - Ukulele Central

bazmaz

Reaction score
Thought I'd share this for any Fairport Convention fans

The band have written a nice little uke song called Ukulele Central - performed it at Cropredy (with Simon Nicol playing a Uke Bass, and Gerry Conway on washboard!)

Being the nice guys that they are, on their website they have made the mp3, the chord chart and the lyrics available for download

Video clip on link below, together with direct links to song, chords and lyrics

http://gotaukulele.blogspot.com/2010/09/fairport-convention-ukulele-central.html

Thank you Paul! I LOVE Fairport! They are indeed nice guys. I saw them at a club in Boulder Colorado about 22 years ago (right after "Red and Gold" came out). They were hanging out with everyone after the show, and Dave Pegg showed me his very artfully filthy bass strap. I had previously seen them opening for Jethro Tull a couple of times. I've been a big fan ever since I accidentally stumbled onto a used copy of "Full House" and noticed that Pegg played on it. I knew of him from Jethro Tull. After I bought that album, I branched out into Richard Thompson (a complete genius and wizard!), Fotheringay, Steeleye Span, and various other off-shoots and relations. It's kind of amazing how "incestuous" British folk-rock bands are, lol.
I had no idea they had done anything with uke, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. And what do you know? Yet ANOTHER ukulele-playing bassist in that clip. I had no idea that Peggy played uke! There seem to be a lot of us bass/uke guys around.

Last edited:
very incestuous!

In that clip, aside from Peggy who played with Tull, you have Gerry Conway on washboard who was drummer for Cat Stevens, and Ric Sanders with the bandana who played in Soft Machine

Gotta love the Fairports

And the beauty of Cropredy is that you can have a beer sat on the wall in front of the pub thats on the back cover of their album "Nine"

It was kind of strange... when I saw them in Boulder, they asked the audience if anyone had ever been to Cropredy. About HALF the audience raised their hands. After the show I heard things like: (Simon to some guy): "Are you coming to Cropredy this year?" (Guy to Simon): "no but we'll be there in October for our anniversary." (Simon): "Do you have my phone number?" (Guy) "No, but we have Dave's." I was thinking "Hey, I want Dave's phone number!"

Thats very Fairport - one big family

At Cropredy, if you stand at the bar long enough you end up having a drink with the band.

Here's my wife with Peggy and his brother a few years back

IMG_0528.jpg

Always away for Cropredy but saw Fairport at Glastonbury last year. I've loved them right from the early years. I have tried a few of their songs on the Uke, Walk A While" works quite well. Thanks for posting this Paul, quality!

whats brilliants is that HUGE open air bar is right next to the stage - so you can sup whilst watching - no having to get relegated to the back

Top Bottom