I'm really good!!!

bobj

Reaction score
OK. I've officially had my uke for 1 week now, and I gotta say that I can play all the Aldrine lessons with no problem, and I can play about half of Jake's songs ...

Oh Man! No way! Not even in my dreams. But I always wanted to say something like that. The truth is that I can barely pick out a recognizable "Mary Had a Little Lamb," and my strumming hand seems to have been attending "The University of Un-rythme" all its life.

But I am having a lot of fun, and improving ever so slightly each day.

Much thanks to all the people who post great things on here everyday.

bobj
in Japan

OK. I've officially had my uke for 1 week now, and I gotta say that I can play all the Aldrine lessons with no problem, and I can play about half of Jake's songs ...

Thank the lord I didn't snap off my own fingers before I read further,,,,phew, was close though :)

I think I made a very similar post several weeks ago! I am seeing incredible progress although I still don't feel good at it... somethings are getting recognizable. It's only been 7 weeks since I got my Uke... At about 6 weeks of practice 1-2 hours a day, I still have no rhythm but I can play a few picking songs and some scales...

Oh, my heart sunk at first when I read the beginning of your post, and I thought, not another one of 'those' that are going to have 20 you tube videos.. rocking our worlds after a week... The first few vid's I watched on girl said, I just got this uke yesterday and here's my first song... ARGH! Then this kid gets on and says I just got this uke this morning.. WHAT! There's 10 chords in that song!!

Most important, I too am having so much fun!! Keep it up, you will start to see a difference!!!
Carrie

Last edited:
I was going to ask you what kind of vitamins you are taking. ;)
But really, I've discovered that learning the uke is going to be a long enjoyable journey. I'll probably never be as good as the 7 year old phenom posting utube videos all the time but that's ok. Learn at your own pace and enjoy the journey! :cool:

Ha, Ha, you were almost the most hated. I am 8 weeks in and a bit obsessed. My progress is slow but steady and I am having a blast.

Gotta say I'm in the same boat. 3 weeks now and my progress has been in bursts, practice only on weekends and very limited at that. But I feel like I'm getting the hang of it.

Aloha bobj,
Glad to hear you're improving and having fun with your new ukulele..
Have you tried out: Http:www.fretplay.com/tabs///m/misc_childrens/nursery_rhymes-crd.shtml
scroll down to the bottom for childrens rhymes and chords, lyrics..
"keep strumming them strings" MM Stan...
Wow Stan that is cool. I want to learn preschool type songs to play with my grandbabies. They are guitar chords, can you play the same chords on the uku as the guitar. I thought you had to change them.

Wow Stan that is cool. I want to learn preschool type songs to play with my grandbabies. They are guitar chords, can you play the same chords on the uku as the guitar. I thought you had to change them.

Aloha Roxhum,
All the same chord for whatever instrument you play....so you can use them from guitar
and ukulele ....good for the kids and grandkids and beginners to learn rhythm and timing...
Have Fun and bond music with the grandkids....."Keep strumming them strings" MM Stan..

Sorry to have given anyone a mini heart attack with my first sentence. (And GreatGazukes kept his fingers. That is a good thing :)
But I am comforted to have a few slow-handed brethren in the same boat as me. I honestly know that I am not blessed with a lot of musical talent. So I am curious how much I can progress with perseverance and a good attitude, and the help from my fellow UU'rs.

It really is fun.

bobj
in Japan
I need to learn how to put a pic on here.
kala flame mahogany concert,
my 3 y.o. daughter has "Princess" a pink Makala Dolphin.

I am one with this group.

I remember watching videos with those girls saying, "Yeah, I just unwrapped this uke and its missing two strings but I'll play some Bach here for you."

Are those girls real or just pulling our leg or musta played some other uke or guitar the last few years. Cause I don't buy it.

My blood started to boil on the first two sentences because I'm still having a very hard time learning
You and me just need to stay on the path :)

hi Bob

it's a lifelong journey so enjoy it!!! :eek:In the end I guess, like everything in life, it's more about the process than the end product. You sound like you're having an awesome time with your uke so if you enjoy something the results will take care of themselves. There's always gonna be better players than us, and always people who have just taken their first baby steps...we just need to encourage each other. Stay passionate and positive Bob,
you don't have to be professional to share music with people and make them smile!!! see you on the trail, eugene:)

I just keep telling myself that somewhere out there is an eight year old on a $40 Huffy that can out sprint Armstrong...
I don't have to be the best.
Played a song (an OLD song- Cat Stevens of all things) the other day at recess, and the eighth graders who use my room as "hangout central"...and normally would never drop their "cool" guard, started singing along-
All I needed, I think I will play that one again. Yeah it was off, but they recognized it and we had a ton of fun making a mess of it together.

Just keep repeating the old Stuart Smalley mantra from Saturday Night Live: "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it... people LIKE me!"

I am glad I read past the first sentence as well. I am in the same boat as many others - I have only been playing for a few months. It is slow going for me since I have no natural ability. Every small step is a ton of work but I have been enjoying the journey so far. Keep at it - good luck.

Hey Mandarb, That is the exact same boat as me. Hopefully it ends up being a pleasure cruise and not The S.S.Minnow. So far, so good. Having fun.
My finger tips still feel pretty weird, though.

bob j
in Japan
Kala flame mahogany concert

Hey Mandarb, That is the exact same boat as me. Hopefully it ends up being a pleasure cruise and not The S.S.Minnow. So far, so good. Having fun.
My finger tips still feel pretty weird, though.

bob j
in Japan
Kala flame mahogany concert

With time your fingers will develop some callouses and not feel so weird.

Top Bottom