why binding

roxhum

Reaction score
Is there a purpose for binding other than decorative? Just curious
Thanks

No added function. But, it is really pretty.

The binding protects the edge grain of the wood where its glued together. Without binding, your uke will chip much more easily on the edge. To see why, take a board and hit it on the end grain - it will splinter off rather easily, as compared to hitting it along the side. Binding doesn't just make a uke pretty.

Last edited:
Aloha Roxhum,
Yup SWB is right, the binding aside from asthetics is purely functional in giving the uke it structual intregrity and protection on the edges...
I hope it helps!!! MM Stan....

Interesting. That is what I was thinking because my little Bushman has no binding and you can feel the grain of the wood along the edge in a couple places and my Mainland has a more protected feel to it.

Thanks for you replies and Doc J, love those ears on your pooch.

Yep, I would rather have some cheap plastic binding on any of my ukes, even my K ukes instead of none at all. It not only looks better but those edges tend to get banged up the most. The plastic binding can absorb the blow and get by without a scratch. It does take more work to put on with routing the edge out then gluing and taping the binding down while the glue dries.

Depending on the binding, there can be a lot of extra work... like Peter Hurney's Pohaku Ukes rope binding... all wooden inlay. The binding does protect the uke edges very nicely. I prefer rosewood or faux tortoise on mahogany ukes. I like maple binding, too.

I absolutely love the look of tortoise binding! Until now I thought it (and all binding) was purely decorative. I learn something new every day....

What's the difference between a faux tortoise and a mock turtle?

I found out why binding is done when I bumped my uke against a table leg. Nice little dent.

I do wonder if binding hurts the sound quality as the joint between the side and the top or back is going to have less wood overlapping. It might increase resonance though, I'd like to know.

Pics please,
Mahalo

Here's a photo of the faux tortoise shell binding on my Kala solid mahogany concert ukulele.

attachment.php

Here's a photo of the faux tortoise shell binding on my Kala solid mahogany concert ukulele.

attachment.php

You got ripped off, thats mock turtle if I've ever seen it.

Top Bottom