Maybe FINALLY!! found the right string for my Kamaka?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I just want to give a shout out to dkcrown for recommending some strings to me for my Kamaka. I had previously been using Fremont Fluorocarbon Blacklines, as I don't care for wound low g strings. The Fremonts were more balanced than the Worth CTs I had previously tried (which seemed as though the low g was very boomy and overpowered the other three strings). But with the Fremonts, I missed the crystal clear picking quality I found in other strings, so I rigged an experiment using Savarez Alliance strings to try for an unwound setup. It actually didn't work too bad, but the low g was a little bit slack due to the fact that it was meant to go on as my C string. See thread: http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...82-Unwound-low-g-experiment&highlight=savarez

So in the thread I started about my experiment, dkcrown suggested I try the Worth CH low g HD version, which had been recommended to him by Brian at KoAloha. He was searching for a non boomy low g, and apparently Brian said they used these on their custom ukes.

I ordered two packs from Elderly (where dkcrown had them special order them for him) and wow, what a difference! The Kamaka sounds great...the increase in volume from the Savarez to the Worth is very noticeable. The bright clarity when picking is an improvement over the Fremonts, and it is not nearly as boomy or overwhelming as the low g had been on the Worth CT strings (at least not to my ears). I'm willing to admit I'm in the new string honeymoon phase -- which I always go through after first trying a brand new set -- but they sound and feel wonderful.

I just ordered three more packs off the Elderly site, so I hope I end up still liking them for a while. Anyhoo, for those of you looking to try something new, if you have the $14 to burn, I second dkcrown's recommendation. Thanks buddy!

Good info, thanks! I played some new Kamakas yesterday and didn't like the stock strings at all. They seemed ridiculously bad, in fact. Just my humble opinion.
I hope you remain thrilled with the new strings.

I love the CMLG-HD's. I went through many sets in search of my 'perfect' low G set up. I went ahead a bought several sets as well.

Can someone help me understand the Worth designators? CMLG-HD.....I take that to mean clear, medium, low G....but I don't get the HD.

And CH low g HD....I take to mean clear, hard? heavy? high?, low G....and, again, I don't get the HD. Just guesses; hope I'm not too far off....

Have to agree WW. Brian told me about the CHs when I called and asked him about the KoAloha stock strings. They make my KoAloha sing out. I really like em.

Can someone help me understand the Worth designators? CMLG-HD.....I take that to mean clear, medium, low G....but I don't get the HD.

And CH low g HD....I take to mean clear, hard? heavy? high?, low G....and, again, I don't get the HD. Just guesses; hope I'm not too far off....

I hope this helps.

http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.pdf

Look in the lower right corner. It should explain "HD" and "EX"

Has anyone had a chance to compare the CHLG-HD mentioned above by wickedwahini and the CMLG-HD mentioned above by mikeg0232? The Worth chart (link posted above by RyRod) indicates that "H" means "hard" and "M" means "medium," but I was wondering if anyone could describe any difference in the experience of playing "medium" vs. "hard" Worth clears. Thanks!

Last edited:
Strings come in HD now? Guess I better upgrade my hardware and get a better ukulele. ;)

Bought singles of the LGHD online. Called MGM first but he only sold the full sets of HD (strong) strings.

I hope this helps.

http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.pdf

Look in the lower right corner. It should explain "HD" and "EX"

That helped a little, thanks. It is still more complex than need be. Some of it seems to make no sense at all. Why have a CD designation which indicated clear, hard....followed by an HD designation that means hard? What are these....harder than hard? Then there's the EX, which they explain....but there's also an E, which they don't. Poorly designed system, if you ask me....

I wish he had them in his ebay store when I bought these, it would have saved me quite a bit in shipping costs. How do you like them Ronnie?

Hey Staci, I just ordered them so I haven't received them yet. I got them on uke world which was closing them out. I think it was $2.00 for the low g. Postage is a killer with them but they also had closeouts on the Worth 6 string packs and I'll be picking up a six string uke next week so it worked out even with the postage.

I called MGM before ordering the strings to see if he had the singles. According to Michael, the HD low g is a little firmer but still not as stable as a wound string.

I don't like the buzz of a wound string but I don't like the floppiness of a non-wound low g so I'm hoping this is a compromise. Next stop is the polished Corum low g.

Looking at the Worth chart. It appears the the difference between the CT-LG set versus the CH LGHD is the 2nd and 3rd strings. NOT the 4th string. Perhaps the higher density of the 2nd and 3rd strings helps to balance out the low g string. It appears the single low g string is .0358 inches across the board for low g no matter what set you buy except for the EX line where the diameter increases to .0433. Even with the EX set, the other three strings are the same as the HD set.

Yes, it is confusing...

http://www.worthc.to/W-Strings-e.html

Looking at the Worth chart. It appears the the difference between the CT-LG set versus the CH LGHD is the 2nd and 3rd strings. NOT the 4th string. Perhaps the higher density of the 2nd and 3rd strings helps to balance out the low g string. It appears the single low g string is .0358 inches across the board for low g no matter what set you buy except for the EX line where the diameter increases to .0433. Even with the EX set, the other three strings are the same as the HD

Just FYI I talked to Worth themselves about this and they said otherwise:

"CH-LGHD fits your request.It is used by Herb Ohta Jr. who likes high
tension.
Or CF-LGHD, it is the thickest line in our line up.
So it has the highest tension.But players who use it are very few.
The material of CH and CF series are different from CM,CT one.
It is harder and thicker than CM,CT."

So the CH's are made of different material and actually do have higher/thicker tension then CT's

FYI, Elderly has free shipping on orders over $29 until Friday. You can pick up a three pack of these strings and not pay shipping.

Top Bottom